• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

favorite movie shootouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshifumi

Banned
i just saw avp today, and followed that by watching collateral immediately after to cleanse my mind of that crap, and i've got to say that club shootout was amazingly done. michael mann sure knows how to direct a good gunfight.

the post-bank robbery shootout in heat:
the cops get tipped off and arrive as robert deniro and crew are already finishing their job. val kilmer spots the first two cops across the street and immediately opens fire. getaway car gets shot up, robbers continue on foot, ducking behind occupied cars for cover and shooting a seemingly endless supply of lapd officers. the sound, the editing, the total disregard for human life in this shootout just make it unforgettable. michael mann nails it.

the club shootout in collateral:
tom cruise indiscriminantly beating bouncers, then killing government agents, cops, felix's men, and his target without even slowing down. beats up bouncers, gets sort of pinned down, and then just stabs his attackers and continues killing. shoots his target, then stops to reload, then puts a final shot in his head. and he's even out in time to shoot the cop that's with max while waiting by the cab. all while everyone is screaming and running for their lives. some of the hand to hand beatings were downright awesome, and that crazy face he makes while he stomps on the first guy he beats up is just perfect. mann nails it again.

one of the shootouts in ronin:
i'm probably mashing two of the shootouts in this movie together because i haven't seen it in awhile, but robert deniro just blasting the one car with a bazooka was amazing. also when he uses the decoy explosive dealie to make his attackers turn around and then shoots them while they're distracted. add this to one of the best car chases ever, and you've got yourself one kickass movie.

other honorable mentions include: matrix lobby shootout, spartan gas station shootout (just because you think he's actually killing these people).

list yours

BeOnEdge

Banned
heat is easily the best shootout ever. i used to think it was the matrix then i saw heat. MY GOD. the sound kicks sooooooooo much ass.

yoshifumi

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
heat is easily the best shootout ever. i used to think it was the matrix then i saw heat. MY GOD. the sound kicks sooooooooo much ass.

yeah the heat shootout is my favorite shootout ever, if not my favorite scene ever. no music, just gunshots, screams, and adrenaline.

yoshifumi

Banned
commish said:
My favorite is in home alone when Kevin shoots the bad guy in the balls

the part when he shoots the guy in the head is better, because he's just like "hello!" in that little cute kid voice, smiles, and then kablammo

calder

1) Heat
2) Open Range
3) Time & Tide (apartment building fight)
4) The Wild Bunch (the finale, as much for the buildup to it)
5) The Matrix I guess, but I feel like I'm forgetting one.

Hournda

The final showdown from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. You got Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach going at it with the mind-blowing musical accompanyment by Ennio Morricone and direction of Sergio Leone. It is without a doubt the best shootout ever.

+1 for Open Range.

Also gotta back that vote for "Heat".

And lastly, I'm surprised nobody mentioned any points from Pulp Fiction. The point where Marcelus Wallace is chasing Butch is pretty good.

yoshifumi

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:
And lastly, I'm surprised nobody mentioned any points from Pulp Fiction. The point where Marcelus Wallace is chasing Butch is pretty good.

that part isn't really much of a shootout, seeing as only one of them has a gun

Ryu

Well, I'll throw in a few --

1. "What do you mean they cut the power? How can they cut the power, man?! They're animals!" From that point on, my God. Cameron is amazing. (Aliens if you didn't already know)

2. "We want to hurt no one." Again, from that point on in Heat, it's absolutely amazing. The number of cops dead or injured at that freeway entrance is just staggering.

3. "Don't tempt me. We are heading to the morgue." And of course with that started that really cool morgue shootout in The Rock. I know a lot of you hate Bruckheimer, but that guy losing his feet with machine gun fire then having his head crushed with the air conditioner was just awesome.

4. "Half of everything is luck, James." Another great shootout this time brought to you by James Bond in Goldeneye. At the time, I thought that was quite possible one of the best Bond openings ever. Especially since you rarely see him weild an automatic weapon.

5. "... You know my handcuffs? I picked them." From here, Arnold lays a wooping on some terrorists in True Lies using Ak's, handguns, explosives, and a gas pump. Total ownage and some very great scenes throughout.

I left it to five solely because there are many, especially when you get into Arnold's movies, but the main limiting reason was to leave out war movies which has lots and lots of shootouts all throughout. It just keeps things more equal this way.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I cant believe nobody mentioned Arnie in Commando or Pacino at the end of Scarface.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BeOnEdge said:
so does BELLY.

I see your belly, and raise you the court shootout in state property

NLB2

Banned
Hournda said:
The final showdown from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. You got Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach going at it with the mind-blowing musical accompanyment by Ennio Morricone and direction of Sergio Leone. It is without a doubt the best shootout ever.
+1 for Hournda
This is the correct answer. The intensity and anticipation built up by the direction and music is cinema at its most orgasmic.

As for worst shootout ever, its the one in the bar in The Rundown. "Hey guys. he ran behind the pool table. Are bullets aren't able to go through a pool table. Ah shit. Might as well not bother."

Hard Boiled without question. Amazing to have an action scene that long that tells a story and is constantly well choregraphed and clever and continues to top itself minute by minute.

way more

Warm Machine said:
Hard Boiled without question. Amazing to have an action scene that long that tells a story and is constantly well choregraphed and clever and continues to top itself minute by minute.

and Way of the Gun

Warm Machine said:

Without a doubt.

FoneBone

What's fucking insane is that both The Killer and Hard Boiled are currently out of print on DVD in the US. Imports are always an option, though.

Chony

Equilibrium - all the gun fight scenes
Predator - "I saw something"
Commando (I love how Arnold is protected by the flowers when a whole army is shooting at him)
Matrix - Lobby
Heat - Police Shootout
Full Metal Jacket - "I am in a world of shit"

Bob White

Way of the Gun.

My GOD did that last scene rock hard.
co1.jpg

Mugen

Banned
^^Damn it. Beat me to it. Way of the Gun is awesome. You guys just have to see it to really believe it.

Not mentioning the mentioned... I'll say Enemy at the Gates.

nitewulf

i was gonna mention way of the gun as well, but it looked a bit out of place to me as they were performing some advanced military manuevers, yet they were just some hired goons, not ex-military...so it didnt fly well with me.
also,
the killer
unforgiven
butch cassidy and the sundance kid
the good, the bad and the ugly
equilibrium

ChumsGum

Banned
Hard Boiled, without question.

When Chow Yun Fat slides down the staircase while shooting, then does that flip into the flour, then BANG!!! Wooooh, I get chills just thinking about it, and I must have seen that scene over 50 times.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Hournda said:

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes it's not the number of gunshots that makes a shootout, but the overall dramatic quality of it. The whole scene starting when Tuco finds the graveyard to the final shots is some of the best cinema ever.

calder

nitewulf said:
i was gonna mention way of the gun as well, but it looked a bit out of place to me as they were performing some advanced military manuevers, yet they were just some hired goons, not ex-military...so it didnt fly well with me.
I felt the same way, they were just desperate broke lowlifes looking for minor scores and then suddenly they have all this military hardware and are acting like a swat team. I sorta assumed maybe they mentioned at some point they were in the army and I missed it but the movie wasn't very good so I never watched it again to find out. Did they ever explain how they guys could be so broke they're selling sperm for gas money and then *poof* they have money and know-how for this elaborate kidnapping/gunfight?

As a gunfight it was kinda cool, but after a while seeing these badly dressed fat old men with snub nosed .38's running past dozens of corpses to get shot by guys with assault rifles kinda lost me. And I couldn't get over the really silly plot twists that lead up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom