• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite NES games?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Hey all!

I was just playing thru my NES games during the corona, and was thinking about what are some of your opinions on the best games for perhaps the most iconic console ever.

Well , I personally love Contra. Probably the best shooter games they came out with besides Metroid. Gotta love Metroid .Any hoot, here's a list of my top favorites rated from #1 to my least.

1. Contra
2. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
3. Metroid
4. Friday the 13th (best horror game)
5. Super Mario bros. 2
6. Tetris (yes,im the best)
7. Double dragon III
8 .Zelda (best Rpg)
9. Paperboy
10. Kung Fu(Hardest almost impossible to beat, and only 5 levels .Good luck. Lol.)

What are some of your favorite games on NES?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
FarflungSnivelingChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

turtlepowa

Banned
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
Double Dragon II
Gradius
Wild Gumshoe
Metal Gear
Kung Fu Life Force
The Goonies II
Wrecking Crew
Popeye
Trojan
Maniac Mansion
Castlevania II - Simon's Quest
Super Mario bros. 2
Super Mario bros. 3

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 1
Dr. mario
Star Wars
Mega Man 2
Rad Racer
Bart Vs The Space Mutants
Super Off Road
Mega Man 2
The Legend of Zelda
Batman
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Friday The 13th
Paperboy
Contra

Mostly nostalgia. I played all these when I was a kid.

Kokoloko85

Super Mario 3
Kung Fu
Castlevania 2
Mike Tysons punch out
Salamandar and Gradius
Metal Gear
Batman
Double Dragon
Megaman 1,2,3
Ducktales
Mario 1

and the game that still gives me horrors but I love it because I was like 4 years old.
TMNT the one with the stupid underwater swimming level

Last edited:
I'm a simple man. Usually I boot up Super Mario Bros 2 or 3, or The Guardian Legend. Life force, Abaddon, King's Knight etc

quick EDIT: it's wild seeing so many Solar Jetman fans here. Great soundtrack and great Lunar Lander gameplay.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
and the game that still gives me horrors but I love it because I was like 4 years old.
TMNT the one with the stupid underwater swimming level
I would have traded that level for any Battle Toads level after the first one. Battle Toads made many kids cry and rage. I even struggles beating it with the rewind button in Rare Replay....

Lux R7

Every Super Mario

Terminator 2

Robocop

Soccer

Castlevania

A boy and his blob

i didn't know about Zelda titles when i was that young

My favourite is probably Castlevania. Just a great start to the franchise. Great music, great gameplay, nice amount of challenge. It's a classic.

Last edited:
Tecmo Super Bowl
Contra
Super Mario Brothers
Mario Brothers
Metroid
The Legend of Zelda (my all-time favorite game)
Life Force
Tetris (duh)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Skate or Die
Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Last edited:
Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse (US version)

The Japanese Akumajou Densetsu had better sound but they also removed some enemies which took away from the challenge.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Most have already been listed, but I'd also add Clash at Demonhead. The game was pretty hard and cryptic about how to progress (had no guides or anything back then), but the gameplay was really addicting and I liked exploring the different areas on the map.

Ikutachi

Crystalis
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Smash TV
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Kid Kool
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Maniac Mansion
Baseball Simulator 1.000
The Magic of Scheherazade

Garnox

Not a lot of MegaMan in here.

I was always under the impression that they were some of the most popular NES games.

Haha was gonna quote your first post stating how when Mega Man 2 is so good, you list it twice. Then you posted this.

I agree. Mega Man is one of my all time favorite franchises and feel the Blue Bomber should be on more lists.

Edit: Guess I'll participate as well. In no particular order.

1. Base Wars
2. Break-Thru
3. Cabal
4. Mario Bros 3
5. Mega Man 2-6 (not a fan of 1)
6. Turtles 2-3 (Manhattan was dope)
7. Gyromite
8. Punch-Out
9. Zelda
10. Contra

Last edited:

anab0lic36

If you look at the box art, you would think it was some super serious football game, but ohhh no, it was much more than that lol. You had physics defying power shots that sent anyone that got in the way 6 ft up in the air, with eyeballs popping out their heads. The ability to elbow someone so hard you KO'd them for the rest of the match.... their body would remain just lying on the pitch motionless. Or slide in with a two footed tackle and break the opposing players legs (no refs lol.) Hilarious game and the character sprite art for each nation will forever be burned into my memory.
C1f7LPZ.jpg

INPbxRj.jpg

ygVJ1wV.gif

qyopMTM.jpg

g1cY4uP.png

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Some of the less obvious answers:

Destiny of an Emperor
North vs South
River City Ransom
Magic of Scheherazade
The Guardian Legend
Clash at Demonhead
Willow

Abear21

Banned
Contra
River City Ransom
Mario 1-3
Double Dragon
Blaster Master
Castlevania

In that order damnit! Now I want to play some NES, which really just makes me want to play SNES. Which makes me want to play Final Fight.
*Leaves to go play SoR4

DonF

Battletoads, Megaman 2-6, Tiny Tunes adventure, Kirby's Adventure, Mario 3. My girlfriend loves snake rattle & roll and doctor Mario.

intbal

1. River City Ransom
2. Nobunaga's Ambition
3. Bases Loaded
4. NES Play Action Football
5. Tennis (black box)
6. Contra
7. Super Mario Brothers
8. Metroid
9. Golf (black box)
10. Dr. Mario

JonnyMP3

Battletoads, Megaman 2-6, Tiny Tunes adventure, Kirby's Adventure, Mario 3. My girlfriend loves snake rattle & roll and doctor Mario.

Another classic that I'd forgotten about. This and Marble Madness were definitely the source of many fights back in the NES days.
As well as Chip n Dale.

Yumi

Star Tropics
Battle of Olympus
Willow
Guardian Legend
Zelda 1 and 2
Final Fantasy
Contra

Off the top of my head. Battle of Olympus is a hidden gem and I liked it more than Zelda 2.

Top Bottom