• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite NES games?

Hal.

Hmm...

Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda
Rad Racer
Dragon Quest III/Dragon Warrior III
Bionic Commando
Metal Storm
Marble Madness
Rampart
Dragon Quest IV/Dragon Warrior IV
Balloon Fight

Good list.

I've seen this avatar around before - I have a feeling we may have chatted C&C in a previous life/account/website

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Game%20Nintendo%20NES-367-2__24340.1394714782.jpg

River City Ransom - best beat-em-up on the NES. Better than Double Dragon games. Go in shops and eat food to raise stats; open world exploration, co-op, secret areas - just an all-around amazing brawler-RPG.

220px-Dusty_Diamond%27s_All-Star_Softball_Cover.jpg

Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball - crazy backyard "baseball" game where you can pick characters such as a Japanese Oni, a witch, etc. Each chacter has different strengths and weaknesses (some amazing power hitters, others can jump super high when fielding). Crazy ballparks, such as one where the fence in outfield is next to a cliff, school buildings, trees, etc. You can get a homerun in some instances just because the outfielder can't get through the trees/obstacles to get the ball fast enough before runner gets home. Very underrated game.

220px-Super_Dodge_Ball_%28NES_cover%29.JPG

Super Dodge Ball - another Kunio-kun localization, like River City Ransom and Nintendo World Cup (all fantastic games). Amazing multiplayer game with crazy special throws and a great combo of action and strategy.

BONUS: Best bad game

220px-Jaws_%28NES%29.jpg

Jaws - this game has a number of issues, including overly-simplistic game mechanics, bad pacing, uneven challenge, etc, but it stands out as one of the first games that actually made an enemy seem like a mysterious, unpredictable threat. Jaws could show up at any time and end your game in seconds and it makes for some intense moments. The build up to battling the shark with your boat, trying to skewer him with the prow is epic and beating the game was somewhat of a legendary feat amongst my friends back in the day.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Favorite console of all time.

Mega Man 2
Kirby's Adventure
Super Mario Bros 3
Gun.Smoke
Castlevania 3
Baseball Stars
Kickle Cubicle
Adventures of Lolo 3
Princess Tomato in The Salad Kingdom
Mother (Earthbound Zero)

Also would encourage people to take a look at romhacks for NES games. A lot of work has been done to improve some of these games, like Metroid, Castlevania 2 Redaction, Earthbound Zero, etc.

T8SC

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Bubble Bobble
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Snake Rattle & Roll
Blades Of Steel
Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
DuckTales
Ikari Warriors
Spy Vs Spy

Belmonte

There are so many games I love on the NES. With no particular order:

Mother (EarthBound Beginnings)
SMB3
SMB1
SMB2 Japanese
Zelda 1
Contra (Gryzor is a superior version)
SuperC
Castlevania 1
Castlevania 3
Double Dragon 2
River City Ransom
Dragon Quest
Megaman 1
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3

There are many more, if I write all the ones I like, it would be a huge wall of text. I continue to play the console, so I'm discovering other titles, but this is my selection for now.

There are 2 remakes, games originally from the NES that would probably be on my list if I played on the console:

Metal Max Returns (Snes)
Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last edited:

Quasicat

Most have already been listed, but I love Little Nemo the Dream Master.
It came out around the time of the SNES and I had already moved onto the next generation. A buddy of mine brought Nemo over and I immediately went out and bought a copy after he left. It is that amazing!

Comfortgel

The older I get the more I appreciate the original black box releases. That being said :

Balloon Fight
Wrecking Crew
Popeye
Ice Climber
SMB 1
Gumshoe
Metroid
Legendary Wings
Gradius
Blaster Master
Ninja Gaiden 2

Will always have a place in my library.

Antwix

Like most people, Mario and Zelda games were always good.
But a few of my other favorites were:
-Base Wars
-Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle
-Captain Skyhawk
-Guerilla War

If you look at the box art, you would think it was some super serious football game, but ohhh no, it was much more than that lol. You had physics defying power shots that sent anyone that got in the way 6 ft up in the air, with eyeballs popping out their heads. The ability to elbow someone so hard you KO'd them for the rest of the match.... their body would remain just lying on the pitch motionless. Or slide in with a two footed tackle and break the opposing players legs (no refs lol.) Hilarious game and the character sprite art for each nation will forever be burned into my memory.
C1f7LPZ.jpg

INPbxRj.jpg

ygVJ1wV.gif

qyopMTM.jpg

g1cY4uP.png

You have just hit me with the most intense nostalgia feels and I love you for this. Wow. I can't believe this game escaped my memory for all these years. I can't remember the last time I thought about Nintendo World Cup. It all came flooding back. My buddies and I played the SHIT out of this game back in the day. You just made my day man.

cameroon4lyf

Hudo

Good list.

I've seen this avatar around before - I have a feeling we may have chatted C&C in a previous life/account/website
I'm always up for a chat about C&C (And Age of Empires)!

Last edited:

kunonabi

Going off my master list I made to help create my top 100 games of all time:

Batman: The Video Game
California Games
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Disney's Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Disney's DuckTales
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Flying Warriors
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
Contra
Super C
Super Mario Bros. 2
Sweet Home
Vice: Project Doom
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

While I owned an NES growing up I actually mostly owned trash so it wasn't until later on that I started playing the better games. I'm still working through my Famicom collection so I won't include any of those for now.

Xexyz
Tiny Toon Adventures
Teenage mutant ninja turtles 2 the arcade game
the little mermaid
Dragon Warrior 1
Festers Quest
Zelda 1
River City Ransom
Metal Fighter

wondermega

NES was BES'. After years of back-and-forth I've settled on Contra as my top dog, but it's a battle because there's such stiff competition. NES Library was untouchable and experiencing as it was evolving (and as videogames were going from novelty to a legit cultural foundation that would never go away, like movies and television and music on the radio) was absolutely spellbinding. Lots of great games listed in this thread already, my short list has gotta include:

RC Pro Am
Zelda I + II
Marios
Solomon's Key
Mega Man 1-3 (but esp. 2)
Castlevania
Metroid OH MY GOD yes it was really that good
Blaster Master EVEN BETTER
Ninja Gaiden
Punch Out

such good times.

carlosrox

Banned
Double Dragon 1 and 2
Contra 1 and 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Mario 1, 2, and 3
Mega Man 2 and 3
Guerilla War
Castlevania 1 and 3
Batman
TMNT
Faxanadu
Zelda 2

Are you fuckin' joking with this music?

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
Damn, haven't thought about this in awhile

Legend of zelda
Rambo
Double dragon
Mike Tyson's punch out
TMNT arcade
Skate or die
Blades of steel
Spy hunter
Commando
GI Joe
Battletoads

carlosrox

Banned
My eyes get glazed whenever I see this part/hear this track.

R U JOKING with this part?

You don't CARE it was supposed to be a POWER TRIP for little kids! Little kids are supposed to think "my parents can tell me when to go to bed but I can stop an alien army!". "My dad can drive and shave but he can't save the world in Contra!". What the fuck was I supposed to do at this part?? How did the developers expect me to react?? I wish I could go back in time and see my fuckin' face!

🥺🥺🥺🥺

😅😂🤣

I love how the aliens can't stop the Contra/YOU so they have to send bigger and badder things to stop you! You don't care they're saying the aliens are scared of YOU!

🥺🥺🥺🥺

😅😂🤣

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO KONAMI!??!

Last edited:

TexMex

Let us not forget about this guy....girl? That used their fucking hair as a weapon.
kgNRL4L.jpg

Hell yeah. I remember seeing this game for the first time on Nick Arcade. My grandma ended up buying it for me - and she ended up playing it constantly.

MrA

Damn, haven't thought about this in awhile

Legend of zelda
Rambo
Double dragon
Mike Tyson's punch out
TMNT arcade
Skate or die
Blades of steel
Spy hunter
Commando
GI Joe
Battletoads
Gi joe is probably one of the best kept secrets on the NES, a real top tear game

some others I haven't seen mentioned, Jackal, Rush n attack, track n field,.... real reminds me why Konami going crap cuts so deep.

Naked Lunch

I could list dozens and dozens of my favorite NES games but ill just say that in the past few months of finished Metroid 1 and Strider for the first time in 25+ years.

Metroid is absolutely insane. I really struggled with it in my recent replay but I remember going thru it like nothing as a kid. No idea how my young mind could tolerate that madness.

Knightime_X

Gotta do a top 10.
Not saying one is better than the other but I can't just pick one

Zelda 2
Castlevania 3
The Guardian Legend
Megaman 3
Batman Return of the Joker
Shadow of the Ninja
Gi Joe Real american Hero
Contra
Double Dragon 2
Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu

There's a lot more that I love I but I had to put a cap on it somewhere.

Tahj

Some of the less obvious answers:

Destiny of an Emperor

Was surprised to see this here! Sometimes I feel like my brothers & I were the only ones to know of this game's existence XD

So, Destiny of an Emperor probably my fave NES game...but also
Metroid
The Legend of Zelda
Castlevania/II/III
Final Fantasy
Tetris

idrago01

Banned
Hell yeah. I remember seeing this game for the first time on Nick Arcade. My grandma ended up buying it for me - and she ended up playing it constantly.
I remember reading about this game in Nintendo power and always wanting to play it. This and kick master

Cutty Flam

Banned
That's I've beaten, Super Mario Bros. 2

Of all time, toss up between The Legend of Zelda or Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Kirby's Adventure was a lot of fun too

Top Bottom