• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighter Within |OT?| "everyone looks awkward playing it in front of other people"

ekim

untitledqhcdw.png

Game comes out on Friday for Xbox One and is a Kinect Brawler, Yo!

Here have some humorous trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RPqp-_l8Yc

Here are the controls:

Here are the chars:

Preview quotes:

Where we worry about Fighter Within is when it comes to actual fights.
(http://www.oxmonline.com/fighter-within-preview-round-one-xbox-ones-kinect-brawler)

if you get bored you can turn 90 degrees and kick your friend in the face.
(http://www.destructoid.com/flailing-wildly-in-xbox-one-exclusive-fighter-within-260535.phtml)

everyone looks awkward when playing it in front of other people
(http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/21/fighter-within-preview/)

To get serious - all previewers state that there is fun to be had while playing it against friends.

Darksol

Aside from the very basics of punching and kicking, nothing in The Fighter Within works well, and very little works at all. It's gesture recognition is abysmal, its fighting is shallow, and it wastes too much time trying to clumsily tell a silly, unnecessary story. In short, it's everything Microsoft promised Kinect 2.0 wouldn't be. -- IGN

2.7 / 10

maltrain

Aside from the very basics of punching and kicking, nothing in The Fighter Within works well, and very little works at all. It's gesture recognition is abysmal, its fighting is shallow, and it wastes too much time trying to clumsily tell a silly, unnecessary story. In short, it's everything Microsoft promised Kinect 2.0 wouldn't be. -- IGN

2.7 / 10

Worst game of the new gen already?

2.7 / 10

So it sounds like it does everything wrong and doesn't even vaguely work like it's supposed to. So why's it getting such high scores? This sounds like godawful bottom-of-the-barrel shite, so what redeeming features does it have?

"she stayed in coma during seven days"? Didn't anyone proof read this?

Obviously not or they would have removed the "whole family dying in Haiti earthquake bit too".

Go easy on them. Don't forget Haiti was stroke by an earthquake.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So why is it a company like Ubisoft can poop out something that has pretty nice designs and stages like this, but yet... never do anything GOOD with all that graphic work? Makes me feel bad for the people involved that you KNOW think they're releasing a product with some potential.

I don't really have the room ATM for full-on spacious Kinect games, and the price is a real turnoff, but I do want to see how bad this REALLY is some day; maybe in a really desperate B2G1 deal.

Should have cut down somewhere, and bothered refining the gameplay into something more, the way it sounds. All the presentation and "content" in the world means nothing if it's not fun and appealing to play.

Eusis

What's terrifying is that Ryse was originally just going to be like this game, thank goodness that did not happen.
Some of the signs of it did seem to take their toll, but at least like Knack it seemed to have found its following I guess so it clearly wasn't all bad, whereas this... uhh...

J-Tier

"quite the army"

Shows how much care they put into the actual game if something as "important" as their bios were given this much thought.

so I know this is an old bump, but I just happened to notice that this game is $20.95 on Amazon right now (stock is somewhat low though). It might be the cheapest Xbox One disc game now. It's still $60 at Gamestop though, so maybe you can get the purchase price back in trade-in credit if you want to take it back?

I know it's gotten terrible reviews, but I figure someone might be willing to take a chance out of morbid curiosity since it's cheaper now, lol.

Krakn3Dfx

Questionable bump, but it's $9 on Amazon now. I'm thinking about grabbing it just to see. Some of the reviews aren't horrible, I guess like with anything Kinect related, a lot of the experience will revolve around the area you're set up in to use the Kinect?

I mean I'm sure it's still pretty bad, but it's less than what I pay for lunch of a lot days.

Plus, Best Buy trade-in value is $10, so in theory you could make yourself a dollar :).

Top Bottom