• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Bring Elena back so we can get the Elena mirror match Top 16 we deserve

I admit I'm conflicted. On one hand, I enjoyed Gamerbee trying to outlast Infiltration with all those healings, but on the other hand, she could also be just as bad as Ken, lol

Side note: I do want a major Top 8 be all Morrigans though.

;P

Throws are both better and worse than in SF4 when taken in isolation, however due to the overall system changes throws are WAY WAY WAY better (offensively) in SFV.

Also throws are insane in UMVC3. Some characters can kill off a 1 frame option selected 1 button throw.

Yeah, after watching the Daigo stream and LI Joe taking champ to suplex city this weekend it sort of dawned on me that repeatedly throwing someone on wakeup is a legit gameplan in SFV. It can be a lot of damage and stun very quickly if someone likes to quickrise, and opens up more options if they start to respect it.

DRE Fei

SFV feels like VF style tick throw buffering and a similar attack priority system.

Also, Karin has a legit 50/50 off of standing lk into throw or standing lk into crouch mp confirm which reminded me of this.

Infinite

If there's anything I learned from previous fighting game launches, it's that night one has any idea about how good the characters actually are.
I think we have a good grasp of what the characters tools are but not how those tools will play out in match ups yet.

hitsugi

that's not quite right. He said the reasoning he is maining Ryu is because he felt Ryu had more potential.

I think they also said something along the lines of Ken feeling a little weird in this game, but yeah, he prefers Ryu and mentioned liking his back step

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea near the end of the second stream they were pretty critical of Ken due to not liking his fireball. But they were all still playing him like a standard SF4 shoto and not like SFV Ken should be played.

Do you guys think that SFV tournaments should be 3 out of 5 for the entire tournament? Matches seem to go by quick

in battle lounge, I prefer FT3, but that's just me. I'm fine with the current layout for tournament play; only doing 3/5 for the losers, winners and grand final matches.

Tripon

I think doing FT3 for top 8 is fine. But yeah, FT2 for for most of the tournament, and only doing FT3 for winners, losers and grands is okay too. There is potential for matches like CD Mani to last until Time outs in this game.

Dahbomb

I feel like my neutral is exposed. I don't know what to do out of standing MP range with Cammy.
Cr.MK is the best. Also st.MK.

On block you do walk up another st.MP if they are the defensive type. Or just straight up walk up throw.

I like doing st.MP, st.MP.cr.MK. After the second st.MP if you know they will press a button after you can do crush counter st HK or forward HK. Forward HK is her go to shimmy move (after HK Spiral Arrow, walk up then walk back forward HK). You can also replace forward HK with st.HP but that's harder to react to if you land it.

When you get far enough you can do st.MK (they block at tip). then buffer a cr.MK Spiral Arrow to catch them pressing buttons afterwards. Cr.MP works here too, depends on what normal they want to press.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That's more complicated for street fighter though because of meter being carried on through rounds.

Honestly meter management between rounds feels pretty marginal in SFV compared to 4. Since you aren't saving up for FADC and the fact that meter builds really quickly, I don't think it would matter that much.

Cr.MK is the best. Also st.MK.

On block you do walk up another st.MP if they are the defensive type. Or just straight up walk up throw.

I like doing st.MP, st.MP.cr.MK. After the second st.MP if you know they will press a button after you can do crush counter st HK or forward HK. Forward HK is her go to shimmy move (after HK Spiral Arrow, walk up then walk back forward HK). You can also replace forward HK with st.HP but that's harder to react to if you land it.

When you get far enough you can do st.MK (they block at tip). then buffer a cr.MK Spiral Arrow to catch them pressing buttons afterwards. Cr.MP works here too, depends on what normal they want to press.

Thanks. I need to learn better block string after st. MP, cr MP then standing MK or cr. MK.
I should stagger or just one st.MP then throw or mix in that forward HK to counter Nash's and Ryu's cr MK.

Also, frustrating to deal with Ryu's that make blockstring to Fireball just out of range to punish it. Pointblank, no problem. After standing mp, cr. mp cr mp fireball, its just out of reach.

Honestly meter management between rounds feels pretty marginal in SFV compared to 4. Since you aren't saving up for FADC and the fact that meter builds really quickly, I don't think it would matter that much.

Unless you're Nash or Fang yeah that seems to be the case. Still you'll sometimes see people avoid burning that CA when they lost the first round.

Malice215

Quoting myself in the tournament thread.

Just make a tournament thread on the weekends where a big tournament is taking place. Don't need to make a thread every week because on weekends where there isn't much going on, people won't see it.

Do you guys think that SFV tournaments should be 3 out of 5 for the entire tournament? Matches seem to go by quick

It's only week two, and premier tournaments already mandate 3/5 for top 8 for SF. I don't see why you need to make an entire tournament 3/5 at this point. Things will slow down once people get adjusted to SFV, and personally, I love the excitement that 2/3 brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom