• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III coming to DS!!!!!!

olimario

Banned
Official DS Thread has this information ages ago!
You should check it out for all of the latest DS news and media.

Tabris

Ehhh, I rather just have it on GBA (to complete the collection with FF1+2), but good all around in the end.

john tv

I know, but, FFIII!! FFIII!!! Not the crap-ass FFII, but, FFIII!

Is this not worth its own thread? It is in my private little world...!

explodet

Hey, I think a lot of news in that thread deserves its own.
This would certainly qualify.

As I was about to write though, they could have one screen with the actual FF3j game, and the other screen have a dancing moogle, and I'd still take a long look at it.

JackFrost2012 said:
I think this is utterly totally infinitely worth its own thread!!!

FFIII! for DS not PSP!

THE HANDHELD WARS ARE OVER

megaton.jpg

Despite hilarity, I 100% agree with John tv and Jackfrost. FF3j hurray!

This is cool and all...but would it really kill them (Squenix) to produce original FF games for the system? I mean, like a brand-spanking new one...not one tied into an existing game in the FF line.

Tabris

It will be brand new to all NA's except those who played a translated rom, even then, it will still be different because those translations were horrid.

Alcibiades

true, it is worth it's own thread.

This is going to have a big impact and going to sell quite a few systems IMO.

RPG's have done really great business on GBA, and it's going to be great to see that the 8-16 bit era-style games are still going to find a place in today's gaming.

This is going to sell a crap load if the recent sales of Final Fantasy games on GBA is anything to go by...

MightyHedgehog said:
This is cool and all...but would it really kill them (Squenix) to produce original FF games for the system? I mean, like a brand-spanking new one...not one tied into an existing game in the FF line.
Well, as far as I can think of they've only legitimately made 1 original portable Final Fantasy title; Tactics Advance. The others have all been remakes or just rebranded for a different audience. So yeah, it would be out of the ordinary. Crystal Chronicles DS will probably be original, though.

Jonnyram

MightyHedgehog said:
Posted in the other thread, but:
Egg Monster Hero
FFCC new game
DQ Monsters new game
Seiken Densetsu new game
Slime Mori Mori DQ new game
FF3

The thing is, IMO, the DS is supposed to prove itself as more than just a new-fangled GBA...where's teh inspired use of the system's unique capability? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Jonnyram said:
Egg Monster Hero
FFCC new game
DQ Monsters new game
Seiken Densetsu new game
FF3

Yeah, I knew about those. What I'm talking about is a brand-new FF game. I suppose that FFCC could be just that, but the fact that it shares the CC name implies that it won't be all that different from that title. I dunno...maybe it will be all-new, with only a tenuous tie to the GC version by name only.

Alcibiades

MightyHedgehog said:
grasping for straws :p

How many people have actually played FF3-Japan here in the US. Plus think of the people that missed it in Japan.

Heck, I like the fact that FF I&II are coming over on GBA so I can replay FFI and finally play FFII (without loading).

Basically, this can be taken as a NEW game.

I'm not complaining about an updated version of an FF game that never was released here in the 'States...I'm wondering why not release a totally new FF on the system...one that utilizes the unique capability of the platform. Perhaps, it will...perhaps, FFCC will... Just wondering...that's all.

Alcibiades

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm not complaining about an updated version of an FF game that never was released here in the 'States...I'm wondering why not release a totally new FF on the system...one that utilizes the unique capability of the platform. Perhaps, it will...perhaps, FFCC will... Just wondering...that's all.
how do you know games based on previous versions and/or remakes can't find a way to incorporate unique abilities of DS.

Well, they could, and I never said they couldn't... I'm just doubtful about it. I'd just rather have something built from the ground up in the FF line...ensuring that it would take complete advantage of the system's strengths. Anyway, I'm outta this thread...I just wanted to express aloud my thoughts on it.

Zaptruder

Banned
It gets to a point in time, where a series should stop been labelled with numbers and they should just use subtitles as the way of differentiating between the games.

I mean... James bond Number 28... kinda just sounds really drab.

If they did that... they could make a FF game for the DS in the same vein as their main FF franchise... which is what I think most people would want anyway.

duckroll

Zaptruder said:
It gets to a point in time, where a series should stop been labelled with numbers and they should just use subtitles as the way of differentiating between the games.

I mean... James bond Number 28... kinda just sounds really drab.

If they did that... they could make a FF game for the DS in the same vein as their main FF franchise... which is what I think most people would want anyway.

What? You mean you don't want to play Final Fantasy Double-X too?

Tabris

and finally play FFII (without loading).

you obviousely never played the psx version (but I'm guessing that's what you're knocking), because the load times are barely existant in that game.

You're assuming it's like the FFIV, FFV, FFVI and CT ports, which are filled with load times.

So wait, this is a port of the famicom Final Fantasy III, and not a port of the SNES Final Fantasy III? If so, my enthusiasm is slightly lowered.

AniHawk

SonicMegaDrive said:
So wait, this is a port of the famicom Final Fantasy III, and not a port of the SNES Final Fantasy III? If so, my enthusiasm is slightly lowered.

Probably more of a remake than a port, but we've never had FFIII over here (only FF Proper game never to hit western shores), and it's supposed to be one of the best in the series.

neo2046

:D
this is the first time to port FF III
the job change system is amazing

and the producer says that it will not only a direct port
the NDS version will have new elements, just as collecting crystals etc

SonicMegaDrive said:

What?!?

FF III >>>> FFVI

You wanna play FFVI, go dig out your SNES.

You wanna play FFIII ... well, you can't. It never came out in the U.S. So look forward to the DS release coming to the states like a sensible RPG fan!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
SonicMegaDrive said:
So wait, this is a port of the famicom Final Fantasy III, and not a port of the SNES Final Fantasy III?
It has been five years since FF Anthologies was released in the US.
Five. Years.
And people still get this confused?

dog$ said:
It has been five years since FF Anthologies was released in the US.
Five. Years.
And people still get this confused?

Pah! I wasn't confused at all. I just read "Final Fantasy III" and was reminded of the SNES FFIII was all :p

Either way, it's good news. Though I can play either game through emulation right now, I still perfer to play my RPGs on a portable(I know I can' t be the only one!)

P90

JackFrost2012 said:
I think this is utterly totally infinitely worth its own thread!!!

FFIII! for DS not PSP!

THE HANDHELD WARS ARE OVER

IAWTP, but actually the war was over before it started. GBA uber alles.

hirokazu

Doom_Bringer said:
any movies or screens?

so is this a remake or a port?

not yet mentioned, i don't think, but i'd bet on a remake - i don't think they'd release something with NES graphics on DS, especially since they bothered to remake most of the early FF games on WonderSwan.

Mzo

I'm guessing it's going to be an SNES-level remake like they did with FF and FF2.

As far as it using the special abilities of the DS (ie, the touch screen)... if they can find a useful way to implement them. Not EVERY game has to use the touch screen, and not every game will.

I guess a clear battlefield on top and point and click menus on the bottom screen would be cool for Final Fantasy.

Boogie9IGN

GOD LOVES ME, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Egg Monster Hero
FFCC new game
DQ Monsters new game
Seiken Densetsu new game
FF3
While nothing's been officially announced yet, at E3 Matsuno confirmed he was working on a secret DS game.... Ogre maybe?

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, I knew about those. What I'm talking about is a brand-new FF game. I suppose that FFCC could be just that, but the fact that it shares the CC name implies that it won't be all that different from that title. I dunno...maybe it will be all-new, with only a tenuous tie to the GC version by name only.
Square Enix officially announced it as "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles New Work".

Top Bottom