• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding a reliable, non-biased news source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gaf,

Simple question for you guys, where do you get your news from?

I have been looking for a reliable news source for a while, but every single time I find one I like, I end up doing some research and finding out that they have a strong bias. I understand that every site out there is going to have some sort of bias, I'm just looking for one that doesn't let that bias they have rule what content they cover, or how they cover it.

I currently get my news from /r/news, Facebook, and the Philip DeFranco Show.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
All news is biased. That is the nature of news. Most of history is also biased. The key is to try an read around different perspectives on the same event. That doesn't mean taking the extremes and balancing between them, mind.

BBC, Guardian, Al Jazeera, NYT, The Economist are all good in combination.

Air

Banned
There is no one objective news source. Everyone colors their news. Get your information from multiple reliable sources.

It's unlikely you'll find a completely unbiased news source, it's also bad practice to only read one news source.

A good method is to read multiple news sources from various different perspectives and from that develop an unbiased account.

Fhtagn

You have to juggle more than one news source, and compliment it with commentary you trust.

NYT is doing a dreadful job this election season, for example, but they are often a decent source most of the time.

IvanJ

Banned
For "regular" news (not gaming or sports) I go to reuters.com (follow @Reuters on twitter).
They are pretty thorough, non-biased and cover all relevant world news.

Kill3r7

Diversify. There is no single unbiased news-source. However, if you read, watch or listento enough news on either side of the aisle you will land somewhere in the middle.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Every person on Earth has a bias. The key isn't to pretend it doesn't exist, but rather to identify and work against it.

NPR, BBC and Reuters are all excellent sources.

Brakke

Banned
The only answer is to keep your head on a swivel, and practice a diverse media diet. You have to actively cycle sources into and out of your reading.

DOWN

Banned
Associated Press and Reuters the best

BBC, and Wall Street Journal did well here
PJ_14.10.21_mediaPolarization-01.png

I typically prefer public news organizations since they have more of a mandate to report truthfully. NPR and BBC are my mainstays, but I also like the economist magazine.

Private news orgs don't have a legal mandate to report honestly outside the usual libel/slander laws, though local news tends to be decent.

digdug2k

It's unlikely you'll find a completely unbiased news source, it's also bad practice to only read one news source.

A good method is to read multiple news sources from various different perspectives and from that develop an unbiased account.
Even reading multiple sources won't give you an "unbiased" account. You'll just get to see how lots of different people view the same event.

You probably don't want an "unbiased" news source anyway. Anyone that tries just winds up inundated with shit from PR groups that they wind up feeling obligated to report on for fear of appearing "biased" in choosing what to report and what not to report.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Stormfront is great for the alternate viewpoints.

...There's a middle way.

It's called BBC, Reuters, The Wall Street Journal, etc.

GAF is amazing but there is a bias, shouldn't use it to form viewpoints. The BBC and The Guardian are liberal enough.

JordanN

Banned
Yfj7UJY.png

These days, I rather see raw video evidence itself instead of reading what some website says. Anybody can doctor an article to mislead you.

Condom

Just choose the source that fits your ideology/views best and make sure they use good sources themselves.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have been looking for a reliable news source for a while, but every single time I find one I like, I end up doing some research and finding out that they have a strong bias. I understand that every site out there is going to have some sort of bias, I'm just looking for one that doesn't let that bias they have rule what content they cover, or how they cover it.

If you don't mind me asking, which news sources are we talking about here?

I like news outlet that present a wide spectrum of political perspectives,
for Middle-East, i regularly check:

Al Monitor

Middle East Monitor

And Al-Jazeera English is pretty good, but not as diverse. Inside Story always present every side of the issues, they even invite pro-iranian scholar which is remarkable for a qatari channel.

I like Foreign Policy as well, and Le Monde Diplomatique but it's more biased.

Guevara

It's rough out there.

The New York Times has 5 bullshit articles about Clinton, but not a peep about Trump bribing the Florida AG.

kavanf1

Once you've selected a few reputable news sites, the next best way to cut down on the bullshit is to simply ignore opinion pieces designed to get clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom