• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

malfcn

Ahhhh!
Why is my status bar red.

dQ3YJNa.png

Thank goodness, restarted and it fixed itself.

Crazy how Australis offers nothing but a UI change, but regresses is so many areas on the functionality front.

Seriously hoping for a De-Australifying addon when the official release forces that UI change upon the users. I love the way my FF looks right now; it hasn't changed much for me since 3.6, especially with the small icons.

When is the damn thing supposed to be widely released anyway? In version 29.0?

Im_Special

Seriously hoping for a De-Australifying addon when the official release forces that UI change upon the users. I love the way my FF looks right now; it hasn't changed much for me since 3.6, especially with the small icons.

When is the damn thing supposed to be widely released anyway? In version 29.0?

There is already an add-on that does this, Classic Theme Restorer, and yeah v29 is when the shitstorm will hit.

hirokazu

I'm eager to try out Australis, but no option for small icons is a pretty bad mistake. I hate the giant back button thing Firefox has going!

neoanarch

I'm eager to try out Australis, but no option for small icons is a pretty bad mistake. I hate the giant back button thing Firefox has going!

Looks like the icons are the same size as small icons on the old UI. The problem is there seems to be too much blank space, it doesn't look good. Although to be fair its exactly like Chrome with minimal elements.

hirokazu

Looks like the icons are the same size as small icons on the old UI. The problem is there seems to be too much blank space, it doesn't look good. Although to be fair its exactly like Chrome with minimal elements.
My main reason to immediately switch to small icons on every Firefox installation is that it gets rid of the silly giant back button and replaces it with the old, modest back/forward buttons. I see Australis keeps the giant back button. Oh well, I hope someone will make an extension just to switch the back button.

Just installed Cyberfox.

One word: DAMN. This is like Chrome fast.

I remember Waterfox being awesome, but stopped using it as it was never updated. Cyberfox seems to be developed right alongside the main Firefox. v27 was released the same day FF27 came out.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I notice that some extensions don't want to install on Pale Moon because it's on version "24" even though it's a 24 patched to the latest version.

Waterfox updates sporadically, I think, which leaves Cyberfox being the one most relevant.

MrBig

Does anyone know how I can 'unload' tab groups when they're not selected so I can save memory?

This is kinda what bookmarks are for. If there's some task you need a lot of pages for at times, bookmark them all in a folder and then you can click "open all in tabs" to restore them. Tabs aren't really meant for cold storage.

This is kinda what bookmarks are for. If there's some task you need a lot of pages for at times, bookmark them all in a folder and then you can click "open all in tabs" to restore them. Tabs aren't really meant for cold storage.

What if I have a lot of NeoGAF pages bookmarked? When I open them they'll start on the header at the top of the page number I bookmarked.

MrBig

What if I have a lot of NeoGAF pages bookmarked? When I open them they'll start on the header at the top of the page number I bookmarked.

Utilize the "?goto=newpost" url modifier to be sent to the first unread post, eg the link for this thread would be http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=465333 (or use subscriptions to access threads so you can see updated threads), or use permalink urls to link to specific posts within a thread.

inm8num2

Ever since upgrading to v27 a few days ago I'm getting some strange memory leaks in FF. Memory usage practically doubles to what it should be. Restarting only temporarily ameliorates the issue, then the slowdowns begin after 30-60 min. No new add-ons or anything else changed in settings on my end.

DonMigs85

Ever since upgrading to v27 a few days ago I'm getting some strange memory leaks in FF. Memory usage practically doubles to what it should be. Restarting only temporarily ameliorates the issue, then the slowdowns begin after 30-60 min. No new add-ons or anything else changed in settings on my end.

Not sure if it's the same but Waterfox has a similar issue - as the cache grows it eats more RAM.

inm8num2

Not sure if it's the same but Waterfox has a similar issue - as the cache grows it eats more RAM.

It hasn't been this bad for me before. I've jumped from ~750 MB to 1.6 GB for the exact same tabs and usage on my end. Wasn't having these issues before v27. Weird.

PGamer

fucking juniors
It hasn't been this bad for me before. I've jumped from ~750 MB to 1.6 GB for the exact same tabs and usage on my end. Wasn't having these issues before v27. Weird.

I haven't noticed any issues since updating to 27 if that makes any difference. Maybe try running without add-ons?

inm8num2

I haven't noticed any issues since updating to 27 if that makes any difference. Maybe try running without add-ons?

Yea I'll tinker around. I'm using about:memory to see if I can pinpoint a reason for the leaks.

For example, I noticed that Findbar Tweak isn't quite working properly (highlights search matches on a page but doesn't cycle through them if pressing Enter or clicking). Now, I'm not saying that's the reason for the leak, but if that add-on has some kind of compatibility problem perhaps there are others.

Mostly I've just noticed that my memory spikes up if I open a few new tabs. That's expected, but the usage doesn't drop down like it normally did before v27 (as far as I've observed). Could be related to the flash player or something as well.

Guri

Anyone know a solution for YouTube's stuttering from time to time? I know Cyberfox solves it, but then I can't use Google Hangouts...

PGamer

fucking juniors
Anyone know a solution for YouTube's stuttering from time to time? I know Cyberfox solves it, but then I can't use Google Hangouts...

Is your Flash up to date? I haven't had any YouTube playback problems in Firefox.

If you're talking about video loading issues I've found YouTube Center to be really helpful. That might be worthwhile installing regardless, it's a really nice add on.

beat

Youtube stutters for me in Cyberfox. I thought I read somewhere that Flash's 64 bit implementation has tremendous page fault issues.

Guri

Is your Flash up to date? I haven't had any YouTube playback problems in Firefox.

If you're talking about video loading issues I've found YouTube Center to be really helpful. That might be worthwhile installing regardless, it's a really nice add on.

No, I have YouTube Center. It's just that the videos, even if fully loaded, stutter every now and then. If it's a "short" video (up to 5 minutes), it only happens once. It happens more in longer videos.

Youtube stutters for me in Cyberfox. I thought I read somewhere that Flash's 64 bit implementation has tremendous page fault issues.

Really? I didn't notice when I had it here. Well, I have to stay with Firefox because of Google Hangouts.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone have any issues with cyberfox and flash player? For example, right clicking in a twitch stream just crashes the plugin.

Doesn't seem to happen under firefox.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I have a question about the Bookmark suggestion feature when typing something in the address bar.

Lets say I have 50 bookmarks for YouTube, and I want to be able to start typing in the address bar and get a complete list of all the relevant bookmark hits.
In the current Firefox implementation it will only give you a list of the 12 most recent bookmarks. All the results for the other 38 videos will not be shown.

Is there a way to get all the hits to show up? I just want to see what I have, scroll through the list, and then pick one.

I'm having this same problem and now firefox just crashes sporadically and its really fucking annoying. I've been trying to disable different add-ons but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Oh for fucks sake, I just got an update notification from Firefox and clicked it without thinking, only to be presented with that new UI, and now I don't know where anything is and can't be arsed to learn.

I'M NOT IN THE MOOD FOR CHANGE!

Oh for fucks sake, I just got an update notification from Firefox and clicked it without thinking, only to be presented with that new UI, and now I don't know where anything is and can't be arsed to learn.

I'M NOT IN THE MOOD FOR CHANGE!

Hmm? Isn't Australis (the new UI) supposed to come out with v29?

I'm having this same problem and now firefox just crashes sporadically and its really fucking annoying. I've been trying to disable different add-ons but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Yeah, it's been occuring to me too since upgrading to v28. Didn't happen at all using v27.0.1.

Sometimes it'd just CTD right after opening up a YT video or after a prolonged browser session.

Guri

For those who hate Australis, keep in mind that Cyberfox will keep the current UI. Some addons will be incompatible (just a few, the ones that interact with the browser UI in some way). That also means updates on that browser will be made some time after Firefox. More details on their forums.

beat

For those who hate Australis, keep in mind that Cyberfox will keep the current UI. Some addons will be incompatible (just a few, the ones that interact with the browser UI in some way). That also means updates on that browser will be made some time after Firefox. More details on their forums.

Sweet. I've been worrying about the upcoming Australis change but I'm using Cyberfox, not Firefox. Sounds like I'll still have to deal with some changes when 29 hits though.

Top Bottom