• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"First Dance" wedding songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool

Banned
Having trouble picking a first song for a wedding dance. Any suggestions? Something to slow-dance do would be preferable.

shoplifter

Ours was "Crazy for You" by Madonna.

I REALLY wanted something by The Smiths (Reel Around the Fountain), but we compromised.

Tool

Banned
I've been thinking of "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin, but might not be suitable enough for a slow-dance. Some parts of the song just don't bode well for it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The original Love Song by The Cure (no 311, for god's sake) is a pretty good one, IMO -- nice lyrics, and slow enough to reasonably dance to.

My second choice would be H3@DSTR0NG TAKE YOU ON.

Memles

MrAngryFace said:
The Safety Dance!

I know you want serious considerations, but when I get married this is getting played. Not as a first dance, but bloody hell it will be played.

Can't help you too much on this one; I'm a little sick of dealing with it, since my mother planned an entire wedding two years ago for my cousin, and the entire process made me want to throw something. So much unnecessary complication.

=W=

I don't know if it's really a good dancing song or anything, but I went to 4 different wedding last summer, and every one of them had the song "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds.

shoplifter

Memles said:
I know you want serious considerations, but when I get married this is getting played. Not as a first dance, but bloody hell it will be played.

I had tons of good stuff played at mine. Lots of New Order, Cure, Smiths, OMD, Depeche and everything else (including some Men Without Hats)

Luckily my wife and I both love stuff from the 80s so we could at least agree on what we wanted played.

Tool

Banned
shoplifter said:
I had tons of good stuff played at mine. Lots of New Order, Cure, Smiths, OMD, Depeche and everything else (including some Men Without Hats)

Luckily my wife and I both love stuff from the 80s so we could at least agree on what we wanted played.

The dance part is a no-brainer since we both can get into 80's tunes. It's just that damn first-dance song that we can't decide on. Thanks for the serious suggestions so far.

Bogdan said:
First off Iron and Wine's cover of Waitin for Superman is way better.

Maybe so, but Such Great Heights is our song, and Iron and Wine's cover is much more fitting for a first dance at a wedding than the original.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
if you're gonna have a dj all night, it's kind of nice to distinguish the first dance from the rest of the night. Having a woman sing and a lone guy with a guitar is real nice. Might even find relatives of yours or your fiance's to do the job.

For my wedding my best man picked the song and he introduced the first dance as a segway from his speech.

Last wedding I went to they picked some lame song and the dj played it and all I could think of was, "great, now we all know you have shitty taste in music."

So yeah, putting it on someone else either with picking the song and/or performing it makes it an even more inclusive experience as well as lessens the whole, "hey, it's our wedding look at us!"

When I would DJ weddings, At Last by Etta James was the number one requested song. It was like, 15 out of 20 weddings I worked.

MIMIC

Banned
R. Kelly featuring Ronald Isley - "Down Low" (questionable lyrics, though "You want me/But he needs you :p).

on second throught:

Avant - "Don't Take Your Love Away"

Mariah Carey - "Hero"

Boyz II Men: "I'll Make Love To You"

Brandy - "Have You Ever"

(that popular song on the movie "Ghost" when they are doing the pottery)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Firest0rm said:
Stevie Wonders - Isn't she lovely. Its not the slow kind but its still nice.

Nice song, although it's about the birth of his first child, so that may a bit premature for the first dance :)

My wife & I danced to "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers.

Korranator

I used "Is This Love" by Bob Marley for my wedding last year.

"Always and Forever" by Heatwave, or "Love and Happiness" By Al Green are also good songs.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
My brother just got married last week and they danced to "Your Song" by Elton John. It's a nice one for a first dance I thought, but I didn't really pay attention because it was right after my best man speech and I was hitting the bar.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
are you gonna toss her garter? If so you gotta do that thing where you go under her dress and remove it with your teeth, only have a thong in your pocket and come out with that in your mouth and then put on an "Oops!" face and go back for the garter.

Tool

Banned
I think we've finally come to an agreement on the first dance wedding song.

Drum roll please.....

Love by John Lennon.

Bogdan said:
Excellent then you have my blessing. Under 28 and getting married = bad.

Like without your blessing he would call the wedding off? What's so bad about a wedding between people under 28?

Bogdan said:
28 is a rather arbitrary number, but come on, people that marry young rarely workout nowadays, not enough experiences, not enough life under the belt. Don't kid yourself.

I agree with you here. I've seen marriages fall apart at all ages, but even more frequently with younger couples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom