• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Half-Life 2 Review PC Gamer

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Traumahound said:
So, it's 2 better than Doom 3. That's not good enough, Valve.

I think the scale is probably highly exponential in the 90+ range. For example, there's a much wider difference between 96 and 94, than say, 76 and 74.

"I think the scale is probably highly exponential in the 90+ range. For example, there's a much wider difference between 96 and 94, than say, 76 and 74."

but the mag only gives scores between 90-100

goodcow said:
They gave Doom 3 a 94? What the fuck were they on? This mag has lost all credibility to me.

Not only that, they also called it "a masterpiece of the art form." If there's one thing Doom 3 isn't, it's a masterpiece. If there's a second thing Doom 3 isn't, it's art.

DSN2K said:
just so you guys know, this is the 2nd 96% PCgamer have ever given.

First was HL1. ;)

No. It's at least the fourth. Tie Fighter and Gabriel Knight 2 were both given 96's before the original Half-Life.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DemonCleaner said:
"I think the scale is probably highly exponential in the 90+ range. For example, there's a much wider difference between 96 and 94, than say, 76 and 74."

If it's PC Gamer UK, then that's not really true..

..though I haven't read it in a while. At least it used not to be true. I can't remember any score of theirs over 96%.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Traumahound said:
Not only that, they also called it "a masterpiece of the art form." If there's one thing Doom 3 isn't, it's a masterpiece. If there's a second thing Doom 3 isn't, it's art.
it does look pretty though

tbh we were all expecting 90+ anyways, due to it being an exclusive review (imagine the bidding!) and realistically we all know HL2 will be good.
in fact valve could have just ported the original into a new engine and most people would be happy (in fact they did!)

the 'phyiscs' and interaction and there being more than 8 bodies on screen at any one time will catapult it far past DOOM3, unfortunate that there is no real multi, only CS...

Snowball

Banned
PC GAMER UK gave Doom 3 a 90%.

The HL2's score is the highest of the PC GAMER UK history.
Just one game in past got the same score: HL1

:D

Snowball

With the new Source editions of CS and DoD, and even an enhanced HL1...why the fuck isn't there a proper Source edition of TFC? I mean...they're going to take another two years to finally bring out TF2...so, why not? Or am I just ranting because I don't know that they are in fact releasing a Source edition of TFC?

Vashu

My guess is that TFC2 will use the Source Engine, which I really hope, and be sold as either an add-on or a completely new stand-alone game. So no Source TFC until then...

Anyway, too bad there is no real MP in HL2, I had waaaaaay too much fun in HL1 before TFC and CS... It really was a mess back then, rockets flying everywhere, scarabs crawling up behind you, a sniper takin shots at you, one red button which kills almost everyone instantly...

They better come with a mod recreating those events, cause that would rock so damn hard!

ElyrionX

Personally, out of all the print mags out there, I feel that PC Gamer tends to give the most "appropriate" score.........

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize we're talking about PC Gamers UK here......I thought its the US publication we're talking about

snapty00

Banned
DemonCleaner said:

So in actuality, Doom 3 got a 40 and Half-Life 2 got a 60!

Bregor

Image526.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ITS NOT going to run on my pc

:'(

seriously if some of you have the mag, what does the article about how it runs say?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ghost said:
ITS NOT going to run on my pc

:'(

seriously if some of you have the mag, what does the article about how it runs say?

If your PC could run Doom 3 or Far Cry at all, I'm sure HL2 will be just fine...

HL2 has much lower requirements than those other two games, it seems...

Is there a good story faq for Half-Life 1?

I remember very little about the plot, or even how it ended.
Something about hitting a giant floating fetus in its exposed brain with a crowbar.

Edit: In response to the concerns about minimum specs, according to planet half-life:

While the new engine has all sorts of fancy features, it's still designed to scale and work on lower-end machines. Apparently a 700mhz processor and a video card capable of running DX6 is enough, although a 2ghz with a GeForce4 is recommended

Top Bottom