• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Super Monkey Ball Deluxe screens?

Solid

monkeyps2.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The link at gamefront says "PS2" but I guess this is from the Xbox-version. Looks very clean and smooth!
At this super-small size they might be from the N64, and it would be hard to tell what platform they are :p

Solid

clipunderground said:
wait a sec. 46 extra levels and No GC version?!!! >:| W....T.....F
"Super Monkey Ball Deluxe features more than 300 different stages. The developers took all 114 levels from the original Super Monkey Ball, 140 from Super Monkey Ball 2, and added 46 exclusive boards made specifically for the PS2/Xbox Deluxe edition. There is also an all-new Challenge mode that slowly guides players through beginner, intermediate, and advanced obstacles instead of dividing the difficulty settings into different sections. Additionally, the Story Mode will boast extra stages not seen before, and all 12 party games from both GameCube Super Monkey Balls are included to make sure that Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is also the definitive multiplayer installment in the franchise."

I can understand why Cubers get angry.. kinda lame by Sega. But if you own 2 or 3 consoles it's no biggie.

Deepthroat said:
"Super Monkey Ball Deluxe features more than 300 different stages. The developers took all 114 levels from the original Super Monkey Ball, 140 from Super Monkey Ball 2, and added 46 exclusive boards made specifically for the PS2/Xbox Deluxe edition. There is also an all-new Challenge mode that slowly guides players through beginner, intermediate, and advanced obstacles instead of dividing the difficulty settings into different sections. Additionally, the Story Mode will boast extra stages not seen before, and all 12 party games from both GameCube Super Monkey Balls are included to make sure that Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is also the definitive multiplayer installment in the franchise."

I can understand why Cubers get angry.. kinda lame by Sega. But if you own 2 or 3 consoles it's no biggie.

If they give us Monkey Ball 3 I'll have no problems, but for now I'm slightly feeling owned.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
:lol @ "nice and clean"

They're super small... How can they not be. The game was 'clean' on the GC.

Any1

While Xbox and PS2 owners will recieve the far superior version of monkeyball, they also had to wait a long time. So GC owners shouldn't be too upset.

But the fact that Sega is taking away its exclusivity to the GC and will be having a multiplatform simultaneous release for SMB 3 kind of sucks for GC owners. Sega is taking away one more reason to own a GC.

DCX

DCX
seismologist said:
1 less reason to own a Gamecube.
Doesn't matter, the REAL reasons to own a Gamecube is Mario/Zelda/Metriod/Donkey Kong etc. I'm sorry, i love Sega and Monkey Ball but no one will sell their Gamecubes because of this, nor will someone go out and buy any system for Monkey Ball....

DCX

rawk

Why would any Cubers really be all that upset about this? So what if XBox and PS2 fans can play a composite version of the games? I've been playing this game on my Cube for THREE YEARS now. I'd say 3 years of playtime trumps 40 new boards or whatever. The only people who I'd think would be truly upset are SMB freaks who need every toy and version of the games out there. But then they've already had to buy an N-Gage so I guess they'll go for anything.

seismologist said:
1 less reason to own a Gamecube.

They've been out for what... 3 years on Gamecube? Most people who could have possibly wanted one for Monkey Ball have surely bought one and are currently looking foreward to Super Monkey Ball 3. To me this is a bit like Apple releasing newer generation iPods. Sure, the new ones are at a better price, but people buying em now haven't been enjoying them as long as first adopters have. And in the case of Monkey Ball, people have really been missing out...

...and will probably continue to miss out. I expect this will probably flop. Because the games are so good, I don't think it will flop as badly as other Sega titles have. I imagine SMB1 & 2 on Gamecube will be marked down significantly anyway now seeing as this will be what? $39? And yup, sparks are notably different.

If the 40 odd extra levels are off the "pot luck" variety found in SMB2 or some of the extra levels in both games that are derivatives of existing ones, then 40 actually isn't a lot. And who's making them if not Amusement Vision?

I'm sorry but Nintendo just isn't putting out many killer aps as they used to.

The Monkey Ball series used to be one of the must have exclusives on Gamecube.
I'd even put it above Mario Sunshine.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Ignore the system war bullshit in this thread.

Everyone who lacks a Cube should pick this up. Budget price, awesome gameplay, insane difficulty, and arguably the best party game this gen in Monkey Target. And if healthy sales of these versions mean SMB3, I'll give an Xbot an open_mouthed kiss.

clipunderground said:
If they give us Monkey Ball 3 I'll have no problems, but for now I'm slightly feeling owned.

Gamespot said that the developers are working on Super Monkey Ball 3 for all Platforms. So Super Monkey Ball 3 is supposed to be coming to Gamecube, it just won't be exclusive.

I'm speaking as a concerned Gamecube owners. Its depressing to see the few exclusives there are get ported one by one to the PS2.

Nintendo should do something about this. I'll save it for anothe thread. Good news for the ones who dont own a Gamecube (probably no one here).

snapty00

Banned
It does look strange to see a previous GameCube console-exclusive on other systems. I'm guessing Nintendo just doesn't care, anymore. That's good for gamers, though.

Alex

Hum, I sold off SMB long ago, and merely rented SMB2. I've been kinda pining for a pick-up and play/arcadey multi-player game as of late. I'll probably snag it. $29.99, right?

Coen

snapty00 said:
It does look strange to see a previous GameCube console-exclusive on other systems. I'm guessing Nintendo just doesn't care, anymore. That's good for gamers, though.

What does Nintendo have to do with this?

I'll wait for Super Monkey Ball 3. I could definitely see it getting a multiplatform release, but I'll remain faithful, and pick up the GameCube version. My family plays the heck out of Super Monkey Ball when I'm not home. It's insane.

Alcibiades

Deepthroat said:
C'mon! It's 46 new exclusive levels in this edition! A Monkey Ball-fan can't say no to that! ;)
you can if the analog control is going to suffer compared to the perfectly ridged GCN pad...

Wow, I think this may be my first monkey ball purchase, sadly I'll have to go witht he PS2 version. The only version I've ever played was SMB Jr... and I guess a D-Pad is just no fun.

Solid

I'll get this for Xbox. Better gfx (probably) and 4 controllers.

Yeah I have a Cube too but I rarely buy games for it :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
If there's anyway to avoid it, don't get the PS2 version. Playing the game on a Dual Shock isn't going to be great.

I hope they make a Nintendo DS Monkey Ball.

efralope said:
you can if the analog control is going to suffer compared to the perfectly ridged GCN pad...

Let's wait till the game comes out till we make Judgement on controls. I think a few Gamecube owners have built this mythologey in thier mind without real proof. Why can't the Super Monkey Ball game work with the PS2 and X-box controls. The gameworked on the GBA without the analogue controls.

Hellraizah

efralope said:
Huh, the ONLY thing that is gonna be harder is those "cramp the analog stick up, and wait until you reach goal" stages. The other stages, you're not pushing the analog stick to the edge very often.

sonic4ever said:
The gameworked on the GBA without the analogue controls.

Not very well in my opinion, but it sufficed.

They're all analog anyway. I do think that the ridges surrounding the GC stick are likely somewhat helpful since they aide you in pointing things in very specific directions... I really have never liked the PS2 sticks... but I can't see it being a massive difference between the three if Sega just keeps the control tight.

Anyway, I hope people without a GC pick this up. It's worth it.

M3wThr33

Banned
The fact that EVERY thread relating ot Sega or Super Monkey Ball ends up talking about Sega upsetting their fans is a pretty good indication of how much Sega and Nintendo mean to each other.

Stryder

Hey cool, 4 player simulataneous Monkey Target

Looks nice, I guess I'll probably pick this up.

edit: Just read the details on it, I will be picking this up, sounds like it's smb1+2+more :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
at last I can make all my non cube owning friends get this game.

Miburou

M3wThr33 said:
The fact that EVERY thread relating ot Sega or Super Monkey Ball ends up talking about Sega upsetting their fans is a pretty good indication of how much Sega and Nintendo mean to each other.

More like an indication of how petty some people can be.

Top Bottom