• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First time buying a 5.1 setup for a tv: help me I'm a complete noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

Me and my bf are finally getting our own place and we wanted to get a nice video audio setup. We never had a proper audio setup and we know that what we picked is probably not that good for real enthusiast but we'd like to have some opinions from you guys.

First of all we were considering this audio system:
YHT-2930

It is fairly cheap and looks like it has everything we need, I'd just like to understand whether or not the audio / video connections with the tv are any good or if I'm buying something that is supporting a completely dead standard.
We are planning to connect our switch and PS4 Pro to this.

Also what should I use to pass the cables of the two speakers that I'm going to put behind the couch? Should I protect them in what way?

If this is not a good brand which ones would you recommend?

Now for the TV we were considering these two:
LG 55UH668V

UE55KU6400UXZT <- samsung

or maybe and I really mean maybe (way more expensive) this one:
LG 55UH770V

For the tvs we only care that they are nice smart tvs (netflix) and without horrible input lag (we are going to play all day long on it)

edit:

it seems like it is hard to find details about the audio system from yamaha outside of italian websites.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/aud...30/?mode=model

I hope google translate can be any help v.v

Ban Puncher

Yamaha make good receivers, the pack-in speakers are average but you can always upgrade the speakers later if you wish.

The receiver is the RX-V381, one of their entry level models. It has 4 HDMI inputs, 4K support and is HDCP2.2 plus HDR compatible - runs most of today's essential standards so if you connect a PS4 Pro to a 4K HDR TV through it you'll be fine.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v381/

As for TV's, have you looked at Sony's 55" range? They tend to be a little pricier than LG but better quality.

I wouldn't piss on a Samsung anything if it was on fire. PLUS THE GUBMENT CAN SPY ON U!!!!!!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For your budget get the Samsung KS8000 TV. There is a thread on that specific TV on the gaming side.

Save your audio $$$ and put it towards the TV at first. Then you can worry about audio after the fact.

Also depending upon your needs if you don't want to blow out the bank Vizio has some 5.1 soundbars with the bar, sub, and 2 wireless speakers.

If you don't go that route then upgrade piecemeal. Spend more on your receiver up front. Then just buy more speakers as you can afford them. Rather see you get a nicer receiver and 2.1 while you save up for more speakers.

If you want to go cheaper just get the soundbar.

Bustanen

I'd recommend avoiding those 5.1 sets and getting a pair of good front speakers and a sub. If you're on a tight budget skip center and rears and buy matching speakers later.

If you care for HDR don't go lower than Samsung 7000 series and get an oled if possible. This years models are also coming in month.

New002

For your budget get the Samsung KS8000 TV. There is a thread on that specific TV on the gaming side.

Save your audio $$$ and put it towards the TV at first. Then you can worry about audio after the fact.

Also depending upon your needs if you don't want to blow out the bank Vizio has some 5.1 soundbars with the bar, sub, and 2 wireless speakers.

If you don't go that route then upgrade piecemeal. Spend more on your receiver up front. Then just buy more speakers as you can afford them. Rather see you get a nicer receiver and 2.1 while you save up for more speakers.

I'm digging this. If there's anyway you can swing it OP try and snag that KS8000.

From there I would save your money until you have enough for a decent receiver and 2.1 (or maybe even 2.0). Then add on as budget allows.

nickcv

I've looked at it, but it is completely out of my budget. I could consider going up to 1.1/1.2 k but that samsung tv is almost 1.7k on amazon

Yamaha make good receivers, the pack-in speakers are average but you can always upgrade the speakers later if you wish.

The receiver is the RX-V381, one of their entry level models. It has 4 HDMI inputs, 4K support and is HDCP2.2 plus HDR compatible - runs most of today's essential standards so if you connect a PS4 Pro to a 4K HDR TV through it you'll be fine.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v381/

As for TV's, have you looked at Sony's 55" range? They tend to be a little pricier than LG but better quality.

I wouldn't piss on a Samsung anything if it was on fire. PLUS THE GUBMENT CAN SPY ON U!!!!!!

The sony tvs are not bad price wise actually, any particular model you'd recomment?

I'd recommend avoiding those 5.1 sets and getting a pair of good front speakers and a sub. If you're on a tight budget skip center and rears and buy matching speakers later.

If you care for HDR don't go lower than Samsung 7000 series and get an oled if possible. This years models are also coming in month.

Thanks!

Just to make sure I got this right:
I'm better off buying just a good receiver and front speakers at the beginning and add the back ones later when I can, correctly?

If that is the case what specs should I be looking for when purchasing them?

Lkr

As others have said save up for better speakers. Do your own setup not the box setups. Get a soundbar at your current audio budget and then assess from there. I have an almost 10 year old Sony soundbar that they now make with a wireless amp. Much better than the garbage 5.1 theater in a box my dad tried to setup a while back. Speakers can be expensive but once you buy a receiver everything is a modular upgrade. Start with a really nice 2 speaker setup and then gradually add your center, side and rear speakers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've looked at it, but it is completely out of my budget. I could consider going up to 1.1/1.2 k but that samsung tv is almost 1.7k on amazon

You can get it for way less than that if you look around. Hell even on Amazon it's less from certain sellers.

Carn82

Agreed; you might even want to lose the sub. A proper stereo setup and ditto speakers is my prefered way to go.

Ban Puncher

The sony tvs are not bad price wise actually, any particular model you'd recomment?

The XD85 55" could be worth checking out. It came out last year so you might find it on sale if you look around. Best go into a store and check it out for yourself.

https://www.sony.it/electronics/televisori/xd8505-series

If you want a good receiver and add better quality speakers over time, check out the higher range models from Yamaha such as the Aventage line.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/rx-a660/?mode=model

This is the entry model for the range which I helped a friend buy this week. Very decent for the money. Price goes up for other models depending on how many HDMI ports you need, sound standards, network capabilities etc.

FoxSpirit

While I am a big Stereo lover, for gaming a good sub adds a lot.

I personally vouch for the Elac S10EQ/S12EQ. Inexpensive, precise but weighty bass and the integrated auto calibration beats any low grade receiver. And good bass calibration is a must with a sub.

Have you considered a sonos soundbar? Thing destroyed my old 5.1 setup. You can add more pieces later on if you'd like. It is a lil pricey, but it is worth it.

Ban Puncher

If you are buying everything at once and are feeling your wallet strain, may I suggest you buy a pair of bookshelf speakers and use those in a stereo configuration until you have some more money at your disposal, then buy two floorstanding speakers and put those at the front whilst moving the original smaller speakers to the rear. Sub and centre and you are done.

Unless you wanna go nuts and do 7.1 or 9.2 setups.

nickcv

Ok, so if I start building this little by little should I start from the receiver plus two speaders and later add the soundbar and the other speakers or should I begin with just the soundbar and add later the receiver and the additional speakers?

Once I begin building this do I have to stick to a brand or is it possible / makes sense to mix and match?

----

You can get it for way less than that if you look around. Hell even on Amazon it's less from certain sellers.

I've checked with amazon.it, de, fr, es and the lowest it goes at 55" is 15xx
I will keep an eye on it to see if I can find any offers.

The XD85 55" could be worth checking out. It came out last year so you might find it on sale if you look around. Best go into a store and check it out for yourself.

https://www.sony.it/electronics/televisori/xd8505-series

If you want a good receiver and add better quality speakers over time, check out the higher range models from Yamaha such as the Aventage line.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/rx-a660/?mode=model

This is the entry model for the range which I helped a friend buy this week. Very decent for the money. Price goes up for other models depending on how many HDMI ports you need, sound standards, network capabilities etc.

Thanks a lot!

Have you considered a sonos soundbar? Thing destroyed my old 5.1 setup. You can add more pieces later on if you'd like. It is a lil pricey, but it is worth it.

As I said I'm a noob and I don't really know what I'm doing here :p
I just looked it up and while I'm sure they are really nice they look really expensive. From a quick search I can see them going for roughly 700 euros.

Skytylz

Banned
If you are buying everything at once and are feeling your wallet strain, may I suggest you buy a pair of bookshelf speakers and use those in a stereo configuration until you have some more money at your disposal, then buy two floorstanding speakers and put those at the front whilst moving the original smaller speakers to the rear. Sub and centre and you are done.

Unless you wanna go nuts and do 7.1 or 9.2 setups.

This, but I'm not a big fan of floor standing speakers. If you have a sub and good bookshelves, you don't miss out on much if anything.

Definitely buy a receiver + two fronts to start out though and avoid buy the home theater in a box. Basing it on USD, but it looks like the setup you were looking at was $600?

A good option would be a pair of ELAC B6 speakers and the BIC F12 sub. This would be a little under $500. Then just buy whatever 5.1 receiver that has 4k + whatever features you want. If the receiver has OK reviews, it should be fine. Receivers go out of date all the time as display standards change, but your speakers will continue to be good.

Edit: @OP: Center channel, I assume this is what you are calling the soundbar, should be your last purchase IMO. If it isn't there, the audio will just go the other front speakers, which is no problem if they are good. I wouldn't worry about matching brands other than both front speakers being the same and both rear speakers being the same. Someone might argue that the center channel should match the front speakers, but I don't feel that strongly about it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dont feel like you have to buy everything at once.

Buy TV first. And with that make sure you get the best you can. A TV can be with you for 5+ years and it's the primary piece you look at.

Then you can buy a receiver with a premade surround setup but make sure the receiver has all the things you need. That means if your TV has HDR and you have an HDR source (PS4) make sure the receiver will pass that between them. Again a receiver can be with you for years.

On the speakers you can start with a premade set and upgrade in pieces over time. Watch sales and you can pick up a pair of bookshelves here, a subwoofer there as you feel your budget allows.

I would not jump straight in to everything unless you feel you can afford it. As others have said, today, I would go with a Samsung KS8000 series, Vizio P or LG OLED TV at minimum, then a receiver with HDCP2.2 for 4k and HDR, and really whatever speakers in the beginning. Anything will be a huge upgrade from nothing.

If you're gonna spend any money on a tv now, put that money on an OLED. They're relatively more affordable if you can save up for the difference.

Bustanen

Ok, so if I start building this little by little should I start from the receiver plus two speaders and later add the soundbar and the other speakers or should I begin with just the soundbar and add later the receiver and the additional speakers?

Once I begin building this do I have to stick to a brand or is it possible / makes sense to mix and match?
Just a receiver and two speakers. At least the front and center speakers should be from the same series. Rears aren't so important but I'd recommend the same brand for them too.

Only get a sub if you're willing to spend at least 500€ on one, cheaper ones tend to be rubbish.

I've checked with amazon.it, de, fr, es and the lowest it goes at 55" is 15xx
I will keep an eye on it to see if I can find any offers.
KS7000 is the same as KS8000 in the US and the 55" has been around 1000€ before.

nickcv

Ok guys I've decided to accept your recommendations and buy just the receiver and front speakers and invest in a better tv. I was looking at the ks8000 thread in gaming and it looks like a buggy nightmare for the ps4 pro and switch. Should I look for other TV in the same price range or trust that Sony will fix the issues?

Ban Puncher

Ok guys I've decided to accept your recommendations and buy just the receiver and front speakers and invest in a better tv. I was looking at the ks8000 thread in gaming and it looks like a buggy nightmare for the ps4 pro and switch. Should I look for other TV in the same price range or trust that Sony will fix the issues?
KS8000 is the Samsung.

Check out the XD85 Sony if you want an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom