• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Trailer for 'The Red Turtle'(co-produced by Studio Ghibli)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

latortuerouge_poster_tn.jpg

latortuerouge_cannes_tn.jpg

Click the link for the trailer

http://www.telerama.fr/festival-de-...ge-co-produit-par-le-studio-ghibli,142359.php

http://youtu.be/e38pQOFMPlU

tumblr_nuqkc4m4bP1rb1rgoo1_540.gif

tumblr_nuqkc4m4bP1rb1rgoo2_540.gif

The Red Turtle is an upcoming French-Japanese animated film directed by Michaël Dudok de Wit. It tells the story of a man who tries to escape from a desert island and battles a giant turtle. The film is without dialogue. It is the director's first feature film.

The film was produced by Why Not Productions and Wild Bunch in association with Studio Ghibli. According to Vincent Maraval, head of Wild Bunch, he visited Studio Ghibli in Japan in 2008 and met with Hayao Miyazaki. Miyazaki showed him the short film Father and Daughter and asked him to find its director, Michaël Dudok de Wit, with the prospect of co-producing a feature film. Wild Bunch approached Dudok de Wit in London and convinced him to take on the project. The screenplay was written by Dudok de Wit and Pascale Ferran.

theredturtle4.jpg

red-turtle-images.jpg

CgeRvYnWEAIn6uh.jpg

Pics

http://www.facebook.com/LaTortueRouge

Facebook Page

As usual, lock if old

Looks incredible, love the simple yet stylish look it has going for it.

Shame my local theater probably won't play it, sucks I will have to wait for a digital release.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was interested until I read that it will have no dialogue. A shame considering it looks gorgeous.

Do movies inherently need dialogue though? The movie looks visually stunning from the small sample in the trailer and looks to tell a story in a way only cinema can.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Clearly.

Not inherent to the medium, but any movie without dialogue that depicts more than one person interacting with one another would come across as incredibly contrived. People talk to each other.

I'd consider it refreshing considering 99.9999% of movies sport dialogue and its not like speaking characters doesn't make them or their plots for a good portion of movies from being any less contrived to work on the big screen. Then again some of my favorite movies have little to no dialogue or long stretches without like Baraka and 2001 or the opening from There Will Be Blood but I believe cinema can "speak" without having to actually use words. That was more my original point as this looks like a movie keen on using the strengths of movies to its full advantage to tell a story.

Can someone explain why so many people respond with this? It's used in a thousand different scenarios so I can never pinpoint the meaning.

OT: this looks really cool. No dialogue is an interesting decision, but certainly no reason for me to dismiss it. However it does turn off a larger audience, but maybe they were never being targeted to begin with.

Xe4

Banned
Damn Orested, you're on point with the news! Just saw the trailer, looks amazing which isn't surprising, tells me a few things about the story that I didn't know before.

My one concern is the turtle, which is CGI won't mesh well with the 2D animation around it. I'll have to see the actual movie or more trailers to confirm or deny that though.

Still looks amazing and I can't wait for the next trailer.

Edit: anyone who things films without diolague are contrived, I would highly recommend watching L'illusionniste (or The Illusionist) by Sylvian Chomet, with is also without diolague, but tells one of the best stories in an animated medium.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Another movie that looks amazing that I'll never get to see because we never get these arthouse animated films around here.

Fuck.

So got linked to this through another thread...

Man that animation messes with my head, though its gorgeously fluid. Kinda looks like the artstyle borrows from Tin-Tin, or is there a broader influence that I don't know of?

Oersted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom