• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Youtube sci-fi anthology 'WEIRD CITY' is like a comedic version of 'Black Mirror'

You may think that Netflix has the market cornered on cautionary tales about modern-day technology with Black Mirror, but you'd be wrong. The stories from Charlie Brooker & Co. are bleak and unsettling, which means there's room for a more lighthearted version of a sci-fi anthology series.
Enter Weird City, an upcoming YouTube Premiere show from Key & Peelewriters Jordan Peele and Charlie Sanders. Set in a futuristic city named "Weird," the comedic series packs a wallop of a cast: Mark Hamill, Michael Cera, Sara Gilbert, Yvette Nicole Brown, Rosario Dawson, Laverne Cox, Steven Yeun, Auli’i Cravalho, Ed O'Neill, Awkwafina, Dylan O’Brien, Hannah Simone, and LeVar Burton.

The population of Weird is divided into two classes, "The Haves," who live above The Line and "The Have Nots," who live Below The Line. While the episodes will all tell different stories, there will be one constant in the form of Dr. Negari.
"Each episode is a topic that pertains to present day life in America and the world: social media addiction, online dating, fitness obsession, [capturing] the unease of modern urban living, in a bizarre and peculiar lens," reads the show's official description.
Weird City debuts on YouTube Premiere on Feb. 13.

Source

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Where's the humor? What's subversive and risky about this? I don't spot any biting social commentary. If anything, how bad this show looks serves as social commentary about the misguided Millennial-addled media.

Ye this will bomb. Diversity on point tho :messenger_relieved:

What’s wrong the cast?

I mean the trailer isn’t funny: so maybe it will bomb. But the diversity quip seems looking for a reason to criticize.

It’s like PoC can’t even be cast in even original roles without being accused of pandering.
Cunth Cunth likes your post, I assume he agree with you. Could either of you explain why the diverse cast is a bad thing?

Skyr

What’s wrong the cast?

I mean the trailer isn’t funny: so maybe it will bomb. But the diversity quip seems looking for a reason to criticize.

It’s like PoC can’t even be cast in even original roles without being accused of pandering.
Cunth Cunth likes your post, I assume he agree with you. Could either of you explain why the diverse cast is a bad thing?

It’s not a bad thing. At all.

I just felt like pointing out the the obvious effort that google/YT puts in to make sure that every race is represented in their trailer while forgetting about the main point. That is to advertise that it‘s entertaining an funny. Which they failed at miserably in my opinion. That‘s it.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
What’s wrong the cast?

It just stands out like, gotta have one of each.

For a first look they wanted to include everyone it seems. I like some of the cast enough to give it an episode or two. Writers are not bad either.

Don't judge a book and all that jazz.

Top Bottom