• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. to make Rizin (Japanese MMA) debut in December

caffeware

Banned

Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced Monday in Tokyo that he has agreed to a bout in the Rizin Fighting Federation.

Mayweather will fight on Dec. 31 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Both Mayweather and his opponent, Tenshin Nasukawa, were introduced at a news conference in Tokyo by Rizin officials.

It was not clear whether it will be a boxing match, an MMA fight or some other combat sport. The promoters said they were still working on the specific rule set.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...r-jr-schedules-bout-rizin-fighting-federation

images

Tenshin Nasukawa (Kanji:那須川 天心; born 18 August 1998) is a Japanese kickboxer, fighting out of Tokyo, Japan. Tenshin is the current RISE Feather weight World champion. As of 1 November 2018, he is ranked the #8 bantamweight in the world by Combat Press.[3]

He became famous due to his knockout victories over the former IBF Boxing World champion Amnat Ruenroeng and Lumpinee Stadium MuayThai Champion Wanchalong. The latter was chosen as the 2016 knockout of the year by Combatpress.com.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenshin_Nasukawa

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I realize Floyd Mayweather isn't exactly huge (5'8" and 150 lbs), but this guy is 5'4" and 120 lbs. Surely that's not a fair fight.

I realize Floyd Mayweather isn't exactly huge (5'8" and 150 lbs), but this guy is 5'4" and 120 lbs. Surely that's not a fair fight.

floyd is a lot smaller than that. lmao where the fuck did it say hes that size.

japanese promotions are notoriously corrupt. i could see it being a shitty fake fight for some money but i dont know i also seeing it not happening.

can i also just say floyd has got to have the fucking worst goatee ever. like i think goatees are shitty to begin with but his is surprisingly bad. its like teenage mustache bad

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
No way Mayweather is ever going to allow kicks. Tenshin would destroy him, that guy is a moster. So this is another circus performance for Floyd. The only reason I can think he's doing this (apart from the easy cash grab) is to get leverage on Dana.

DKehoe

No chance this is anything other than a boxing match. Them being vague about the rules also makes me wonder if it’s only going to be for something like 4 rounds.

No way Mayweather is ever going to allow kicks. Tenshin would destroy him, that guy is a moster. So this is another circus performance for Floyd. The only reason I can think he's doing this (apart from the easy cash grab) is to get leverage on Dana.

eh you dont need to fucking go to rizing to get leverage. if cm punk can fight in ufc 100 percent floyd can get something going and get it done his way more or less. apart from a small number of people who enjoy combat sports in the US no one fucking knows rizin. this fight isnt happening this shit is 50 cent bellator level clown shit

I thought the 31st of December was the date for the exhibition with Pacquiao. I might not be up to date with what's happening.

Snoopycat

Banned
eh you dont need to fucking go to rizing to get leverage. if cm punk can fight in ufc 100 percent floyd can get something going and get it done his way more or less. apart from a small number of people who enjoy combat sports in the US no one fucking knows rizin. this fight isnt happening this shit is 50 cent bellator level clown shit

The reason he's going to fight Rizing (apart from easy cash) is because it's all about leverage and keeping the public's focus on a Khabib match up, which Dana doesn't want because he knows Khabib comes out losing. Comparing Floyd's situation to Punk's makes no sense at all. There's no way Floyd is ever going to fight in the UFC. He's never going to do anything that risks harming his profit machine.

DKehoe

The reason he's going to fight Rizing (apart from easy cash) is because it's all about leverage and keeping the public's focus on a Khabib match up, which Dana doesn't want because he knows Khabib comes out losing. Comparing Floyd's situation to Punk's makes no sense at all. There's no way Floyd is ever going to fight in the UFC. He's never going to do anything that risks harming his profit machine.

I’m not sure how much Mayweather actually wants the Khabib match. Not because I think he’d lose, he’d obviously beat Khabib in a boxing match, but because Khabib isn’t a mainstream star like McGregor is. I just can’t see it drawing that well.

Snoopycat

Banned
I’m not sure how much Mayweather actually wants the Khabib match. Not because I think he’d lose, he’d obviously beat Khabib in a boxing match, but because Khabib isn’t a mainstream star like McGregor is. I just can’t see it drawing that well.

I don't think it would do anything close to the numbers that the Connor bum fight did but it would be another easy payday for Mayweather. He's got nothing to lose fighting Khabib. Dana obviously doesn't want it to happen because 20 minutes of Khabib getting beaten like a ginger stepchild isn't good for his company's image.

YayNJ

Banned

Are you kidding me? McGregor might have a big following, and thousands of fanatical Irish fans, but that is nothing compared to millions of boxing hungry Russians paying for PPV, encouraged by Mr Putin.

DKehoe

Are you kidding me? McGregor might have a big following, and thousands of fanatical Irish fans, but that is nothing compared to millions of boxing hungry Russians paying for PPV, encouraged by Mr Putin.

You really think Nurmagomedov is a bigger draw than McGregor? UFC 223, which Nurmagomedov headlined, did 350k buys. That’s not the type of number that’s going to be catching Mayweather’s attention. Granted he’s a bigger star now but if I was Mayweather I’d be waiting to see how much of a PPV draw Nurmagomedov is without McGregor before committing to anything. Also, is Russia a big PPV market?

DKehoe

I am shocked that this incredibly vague plan won’t actually turn into anything

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
Floyd Mayweather Changes His Mind About Fighting Japanese Kickboxing Phenom

• floydmayweather
    Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the "Rizen Fighting Federation". What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of "One Entertainment" was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a "Special Bout" purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

first of all floyd cant even spell his own name. no way he wrote that shit. second id love him to fight in kickboxing or something else because he can fight an amateur in boxing but no way hed want to be an amateur in anything else. and also if you buy this bullshit he didnt know what he was getting into in japan then not only can he not read but listen as well. i mean if he wants to keep his legacy he SHOULDNT fight anywhere else

Floyd not going to fight an undefeated phenom with a decent chin. Better to keep going the private exhibition route for wealthy fans.

No point getting smacked around and tarnishing his record, that'll severely drain his fan base imo. Enjoy retirement and go the promotion route to continue the £££.

I haven’t really paid super close attention to this. I know Gabi fought and won and a few UFC vets fought on the card as well, thats about all I know.

This isn’t a real fight, right? I mean I feel like I’ve barely seen any publicity for a Mayweather fight. What are the rules being enforced for the main event?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So pointless. Not that it would ever happen, but, say.... PBF vs Giorgio Petrosyan with rounds alternating between boxing and kickboxing rules would be something to watch. Like the special rules fights back in the Pride days.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
That kid can get knocked around by pro Muay Thai kicks but falls from a little tap by Mayweather. Hmmm....

Dontero

Banned
Wow i just noticed that Klitschko retired. End of an era.
He reigned supreme in era of mediocrity to point where people assumed someone like Floyd was heavyweight champion and best boxer.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That kid can get knocked around by pro Muay Thai kicks but falls from a little tap by Mayweather. Hmmm....

I can't tell you it's not a work, but I can tell you it doesn't make any difference whether it was arranged or not since the kid had 0% chance of winning and 100% chance of losing by KO under boxing rules against Floyd.

Precision, timing, and angles make a difference in the efficacy of a strike. In Muay Thai there are a lot of offensive options, but you also stay at a different distance and with a more squared off stance than in boxing. Up close you have to watch out for elbows, knees, and takedowns from the clinch, and you have to stay squared at range or your lead leg will get destroyed right away.

Muay Thai kicks generate a lot more energy than punches but think about how they're typically landing in a MT fight against someone in a MT fighting stance:

Tuyeozd.png

See above where it looks like Buakaw is landing an obscene head kick on some unfortunate fellow. It's hard to tell whether a good Thai kick is going low or high on reaction, so he has his front leg up to defend against a leg kick, and still keeps his hands up and his chin down to defend high, which is correct. In MT kicks are the main thing you're concerned about defending against at range, and they're usually at least partially defended against at any given time.

MT fighters often have not-great boxing because the distances under MT rules trend engagements toward either kicking range or clinch range (elbows, knees, takedowns). Under boxing rules, all of those techniques, including clinching, are illegal, and obviously all offense and defense (other than defensive clinching) revolves around the punch. A standard MT fighting stance also doesn't generate as much punching power for your dominant hand as a boxing stance, which keeps your weak side in front and leads with jabs, with more rotation on pivoting for power punches.

MMA's different too since you have ranged takedowns to contend with and the gloves are a lot smaller. This makes kicking riskier and punches harder to block, among many other things. That's a different subject, but generally MMA striking requires more boxing proficiency, rewarding good boxing and punishing any mistakes direly.

PBF lives and breathes Queensbury rules. His reactions and body movement are honed to razor sharpness for staying in the pocket with someone, taking no damage from their hands and landing clean hits with his hands. It doesn't matter how many hard MT kicks the other guy has walked through. He's not walking through perfectly timed punches to his chin and his technique and reflexes aren't honed for fighting under boxing rules.

I mentioned Giorgio Petrosyan as a far more interesting matchup above (under some sort of hybrid rules...) because he's a technical kickboxer known for his defense, reaction, timing, and good hands. Still, look how differently a high level K-1 fight plays out. Note the distances, the stances, the rhythm, the types of openings that get exploited. It's all very different.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I dont get what all the fuss is about. It was an exhibition match. That’s it. I had more of a problem with mayweather facing Berto for his “last match”, but ultimately that didn’t bother me either.
I see people talking about how fake it looked; the punch and the the fall.
First KD, floyd landed a punch while he tripped Tenshin. Second KD was beautiful. Right to the body, then back upstairs with a right to the head. I don’t think he fully recovered from that one, and I’m sure Tenshin felt a little uncomfortable in there. As for the fall, Berbick looked much sillier getting up after getting grazed by Tyson.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

Getting knocked out has nothing to do with strength but technique.
Boxers know perfectly well that if they even lightly get tapped in jaw at right angle this is the end.
Your head spins so fast that your brain slightly is delayed in that spin which causes knockout.
It is nothing like going to sleep. It is like someone suddenly just turns off your body.
I still remember first time i got knocked out and it was weirdest thing ever.

MT kicks are about different thing. To destroy your opponent body so it just gives up due to trauma.
I used to go to MT but i had to resign, the pain you get from it is just too much for normal day to day training for fun.

IT didn't have to be even him. Any 1 year old boxer would destroy that kid in those rules.

Gander

Banned
I really don't see the point. Floyd doesn't need the money and he has genuinely beat the best in the biz. Why tarnish his reputation with this side show?

Moneal

I really don't see the point. Floyd doesn't need the money and he has genuinely beat the best in the biz. Why tarnish his reputation with this side show?

Don't really know if the bold part is true. Sure he has made a ton of massive paydays, but he also seems to go through money at a ridiculous pace too. No other reason that I could see him doing it really. Like you said his legacy was set.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It’s fine. He’s not like Roy jones JR who keeps getting KOed. Floyd is just make some extra money and having fun. No different from when Picasso would pay for his meals by doodling on the restaurant napkins.

Top Bottom