• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FM2011 Network Game Experiment Thread

Wes

venison crêpe
==================== Update #1 ====================

Meus Renaissance said:
How To Join

Download and install Hamachi.
Go to Network > Join an existing network
The Network ID will be FM2011GAF and the password will be gaf
Launch the Football Manager game and select join network. The IP address is 5.104.8.15. There is no password

Tonight we had a problem with the pace of the game. In an hour, we managed to process through only two days. After some tweaking, I think I've resolved this as a second test (with a couple of people) demonstrated the game processing 2 days in 10 minutes. We need to accept that we cannot be as involved in network games as we'd like in order to save time. So, here are some rules that everyone must implement for changes in speed to be noticed.

Assistant Manager

He will now by managing your friendlies and your press conferences. Go [team name], then Team Settings and tick every box in there.

==================== Original Post ====================

Continuing from the OT Football thread in Off-Topic, here was the last list of people who declared some interest:

Wes
elseanio
WJD
Tim the Wiz
Arnie
bjaelke
farhatraza
Greyface
Plasma
odd_morsel
Labadal
near
Mastadon
anonnumber6
PaulLFC
Empty
sohois

More can be added as we go.

There seems to be a fair number interested. I think it'd be wise for us to figure out when everyone is available to play first before we got involved in other decisions?

So first off if you could all post what days of the week you are free to play and at what time periods so we can get a better idea of when would be the most suitable window to play. And use whatever timezone you're in now, and include any daylight savings currently going on (For instance the UK is currently UTC+1 as we're in British Summer Time)

You can find out how ahead/behind the UTC here by finding a city in your same timezone.

Something like this as an example...

Wes - UK - UTC+1
Saturdays
12:00 to 19:00
Tuesdays
23:40 to 00:00
Wednesdays
00:00 to 01:00

PS: I don't expect to organise all this because frankly I don't have the time! I don't mind helping out in some instances, I only suggested it as I thought a network game would be a fun way to pass some days in the summer. I can always go back to single player if this turns out too much of a hassle. So if anyone else wants to take the reigns go for it. Likewise any ideas just chuck them out there. I'm not deciding upon anything.

elseanio

Elseanio - UK - UTC+1
Any day after 8pm (work shifts, so will be free some weekends, and unavailable others)

anonnumber6 - UK - UTC+1
Saturday and Sunday
15:00 - 02:00
Monday to Friday
10:00 - 02:00

I can keep up those times for the next eight weeks if that is the time scale we are doing this for.

Arnie

Arnie - UK UTC+1
Not sure on times I'll be free as I have a job interview tomorrow so until that's over my time is in flux. I'm in my summer holidays from Uni though so I should have a fair amount of free time, even if I get this job.

PaulLFC

PaulLFC - UK - UTC+1

Sunday 16:00-02:00
Most weeknights from about 22:30-02:00, will quite often be around earlier than half 10 though.

WJD

WJD - UTC+1

Don't have to go back to Uni till September so I'll be around a lot. Probably less so in the evenings but in the day I should be around.

near

Gold Member
near - UK - UTC+1

I'm a bum, I finished Uni and for the next few months I'm entirely free. I don't think I'll even bother to get a job because I'll have to leave it as soon as Uni recommences. So I can contribute to some significant level of organising if needs be.

Empty

Empty - UK - UTC+1

i'm really flexible as i have loads of free time so it doesn't matter to me that much, but let's say 21:00-2:00 any evening.

Wes

venison crêpe
So all Europeans so far. Would certainly make things a lot easier in that case but lets see who else is interested.

Labadal

I'm currently not working, so I'm free almost 24/7 as long as I get a heads up a few hours before playing. (Sweden)

PaulLFC

How would people like to pick the teams? Have multiple choices each and allocated on first come first served for top choice, then down to second choice etc? That may not be too fair though, another way could be everyone picks one team different from those already picked, we give each team a number and allocate randomly.

Anyone have any other ideas how we could sort the teams?

Also, are we keeping the league structure as is and all choosing one league, or would people prefer some sort of European Superleague? (I think there are league mods you can download from the SI forums, and as long as everyone has the same files I don't think there's a problem getting it working)

Mastadon

Banned
A superleague would be better, as there are only 6-7 top teams in any given league. Best way to do it would be to have everyone pick teams, put them in a league then populate with other unpicked teams.

Wes

venison crêpe
Real leagues are a lot, lot easier to manage over a network. That much I do know.

I was going to suggest the Bundesliga. Less teams means more likelihood of player v player matches. Also less fixtures means less people having to wait whilst others finish cup matches for example.

Random teams is the only true fair way I can think about going about it. Or if needs be, as an extension of that, you do random teams and allow people to trade their teams if they wish. Although you should only be able to perform "one trade" so as to stop people trying to trade up constantly.

Personally I don't care managing a lower team. I enjoy the challenge.

Moobabe

I'll be watching this intensely - though I can't commit to playing, the times I get to load up FM are far too random. Plus I wouldn't want to embarrass all of you by storming the league with some awful german side I've never heard of.

sohois

Wes said:
Real leagues are a lot, lot easier to manage over a network. That much I do know.

I was going to suggest the Bundesliga. Less teams means more likelihood of player v player matches. Also less fixtures means less people having to wait whilst others finish cup matches for example.

Random teams is the only true fair way I can think about going about it. Or if needs be, as an extension of that, you do random teams and allow people to trade their teams if they wish. Although you should only be able to perform "one trade" so as to stop people trying to trade up constantly.

Personally I don't care managing a lower team. I enjoy the challenge.

I presume that we'll be running the other leagues as well? Since you can run them view-only there is no reason why not to really, I always find Fm with just one or two leagues just isn't as realistic as when more leagues are simulated.

Further, who would host this game? I presume as we're all members of a video game forum one of us must have a pretty good PC who can act as the host, so it might be wise for others to put themselves forwards now.

Wes

venison crêpe
sohois said:
I presume that we'll be running the other leagues as well? Since you can run them view-only there is no reason why not to really, I always find Fm with just one or two leagues just isn't as realistic as when more leagues are simulated.

Further, who would host this game? I presume as we're all members of a video game forum one of us must have a pretty good PC who can act as the host, so it might be wise for others to put themselves forwards now.

We may be able to add a few leagues view only but not a lot, and I recommend the database being set to a modest size, just to speed things up.

Tim the Wiz (kilner on Steam) - Aus - UTC +8

Should be available pretty broadly through the holidays until uni starts again.

Labadal

I suggest we agree on a time in this thread. Would be easier imo. When we all have an approximate time, we can try. Ironically I can't today, but Want to give it a shot tomorrow evening.

PaulLFC

League is starting soon, it's the Bundesliga. First come first served for now on teams, so if you want your choice, join the group chat ASAP.

Tijnisch

Neo Member
Pretty interested in this, but I don't have the time the following weeks... if you guys are to organise something like this again in September, I'm totally up for it :).

How To Join

Download and install Hamachi.
Go to Network > Join an existing network
The Network ID will be FM2011GAF and the password will be gaf
Launch the Football Manager game and select join network. The IP address is 5.104.8.15. There is no password

Tonight we had a problem with the pace of the game. In an hour, we managed to process through only two days. After some tweaking, I think I've resolved this as a second test (with a couple of people) demonstrated the game processing 2 days in 10 minutes. We need to accept that we cannot be as involved in network games as we'd like in order to save time. So, here are some rules that everyone must implement for changes in speed to be noticed.

Manager Name:

Your surname must be your Steam ID so we can identify who is who.

Assistant Manager

He will now by managing your friendlies and your press conferences. Go [team name], then Team Settings and tick every box in there.

Tijnisch

Neo Member
I'm wondering: what happens when someone isn't available to join the game, will the computer take over the decissions for his team for the time being?

Top Bottom