• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

Eric Vespe ‏@EricVespe 10m
Interstellar comes across as Tree of Life meets Gravity. Very emotional family drama mixed with tension of the dangers of space travel

The hype on this thing is going to be insane come October/November.

Hoping it's good.

Abraxas

Arteta over Flamini. And our new CB or TV instead of Ignassi.

I'd be surprised if we got a new CB, unless verm leaves, if he does negotiations will drag after the palace game. Hence wenger goes with miquel.

EDIT: also, flaminis grunt can help against palace.

tri_willy

haha liverpool linked with gaitan???

id suppose he'd link well with markovic

lambda, whats your thoughts on gaitan? you were raving on about him a bit during the previous season

omgkitty

Interstellar comes across as Tree of Life meets Gravity. Very emotional family drama mixed with tension of the dangers of space travel

Hoping it's good.

After all this time I finally figured out your avatar is Terrance Malick.

wedward

I'd be surprised if we got a new CB, unless verm leaves, if he does negotiations will drag after the palace game. Hence wenger goes with miquel.

Nah, if we are going to sell Vermalen it is going to happen soon. Doubt they leave it to the last minute.

Arteta will start over Flamini every time with Wenger, unless Arteta is injured or needs a rest.

jtb

Banned

Hoping it's good.

even if it's not, we'll be hearing the same inane, meaningless hyperbolic praise when it releases anyways because Nolan. see: Inception

even if it's not, we'll be hearing the same inane, meaningless hyperbolic praise when it releases anyways because Nolan. see: Inception

And the same dull backlash 2 months later from people who wanked themselves silly over it when it first released. see: Inception

omgkitty

TBF Nolan does some really cool, smart stuff that even most of the idiotic movie going public can understand. Also, I say most because I still know people who didn't "get" Inception.

wedward

I enjoyed Inception on my first watch. Not so much on my second.

Don't think it is a great film.

Interstellar looks more interesting to me than just about anything else he has done. Aside from Memento, but I was too young at the time.

inky

LOL. the day I stopped visiting Nolan related threads was when one guy, completely seriously, was delighted at the idea of "another under-appreciated cult classic by a master filmmaker".

Apparently that's what we call blockbusters-that-aren't-done-by-complete-idiots nowadays.

I think Inception was great.

Like in a here I am sitting in the cinema watching the movie and it's entertaining and fun way.

Dunno about the lighting and frame rate and acts and all that shit.

Elchele

I think Inception was great.

Like in a here I am sitting in the cinema watching the movie and it's entertaining and fun way.

Dunno about the lighting and frame rate and acts and all that shit.

:lol

Yes, Inception was great movie but not on the level of The Prestige or TDK. Or even TDKR.
The first time I watched it was great, the following times was kind of meh.

Sometimes I wonder if watching films more than once more often than not makes you dislike that film more than you would if you just watched it once

edit: So many repetaed words in that sentence, it's like a tongue-twister

jtb

Banned
Nolan's a good director. Memento, Prestige, Batman Begins all great. but there's no need to turn him into something he's not. the Tree of Life meets Gravity? like what does that even mean? AICN just took the two most critically acclaimed films of the past few years and threw them together into a tweet together (going off just a trailer, no less) lol

Sometimes I wonder if watching films more than once more often than not makes you dislike that film more than you would if you just watched it once

I find the films I love get better on rewatches, the ones I don't the holes and flaws stand out more

L1NETT

Nolan's a good director. Memento, Prestige, Batman Begins all great. but there's no need to turn him into something he's not. the Tree of Life meets Gravity? like what does that even mean? AICN just took the two most critically acclaimed films of the past few years and threw them together into a tweet together (going off just a trailer, no less) lol

People who see films early tend to be a bit jazzed and thus come out with some right waffle.

Bournemouth vs Southampton is going to be streamed on YouTube in about an hour, if anyone cares.

Didn't even know they were playing. It's been a long time since I've been to Dean Court.

Tidy. Ta for the link. I like Dean Court, only been there once though.

The reason Inception suffers on re-watching is you have to sit through all the exposition of how the dream world works. It slows the whole film down.

It's mile better than Dark Knight Rises though which is utter horse dung.

D_prOdigy

Feel betrayed by Bebe. Used us as a stepping stone for a CL club. Handful of good seasons just so he could get his move to Benfica. Just feel really low atm.

Pezking

BtZhF9MIQAEctH2.jpg:large

i really hate schalkes mascot

LOL.

At least it's better than this smug asshole:

I8TfZZM.jpg

Fits the club perfectly.

Mascots in general are the worst.

Is any kid even excited about them? No, they are just stupid, and if your kid is dumb enough to be entertained by one, it shouldn't be allowed into a football stadium.

Hixx

Is any kid even excited about them? No, they are just stupid, and if your kid is dumb enough to be entertained by one, it shouldn't be allowed into a football stadium.

Samson squaring up to Papiss Cisse is one of the funniest moments of last season.

inky

Pfff, that's because you all have shit mascots. We have this:

jlMHenD.jpg

We also have a guy in a suit ;P

Those comments smack of a refusal to countenance the idea of change. If Wilshere does not see why he should not lunge into tackles, then how likely does it seem that he is open to the idea that perhaps he needs to refine other parts of his play, like becoming more tactically aware, more able to dictate rhythm and tempo, more consistently influential?

*nods* yep, yep.

I'm not sure it's down to Wilshere believing his own hype as Rory Smith suggests though (in that specific case, more just a lack of intelligence/logic). He just looks like a kid who is far too overzealous, too eager to impress and take big risks, rather than play smart and with more guile, which we know he can. As a CM, he's worse than he was in 2011 just because of this, but back then he was playing every week, and, with Nasri deciding to bottle the second half of the campaign, and Cesc completely checking out, he was the man in our team.

Unfortunately, minutes may once again be hard to come by for him next season (I still maintain he's very good coming in off the right-flank though, always has been, so that's an option), but, at worst, this supposed "make-or-break" campaign probably won't lead to anything but another one in 15/16.

And if Wilshere missed 17 months from 2011-2013, that means he's missed nearly 20 in the past 3 years. I'm not really sure you can understate how huge that is to the development of a player in his late teens/early 20s. If his biggest issue is that he's trying to do too much, that sounds like one of the better problems you can have. Ramsey was similar. Too many Cruyff turns, too many hollywood passes, wild shots, etc. Wenger said:

“He had to come back to a more simple game. When you go through a bad patch in life you always go back to the basics. In football you slowly get confidence back and then you play naturally again.

“The problem is that if you play a great shot in golf or tennis, when you go to your next game you want to play the same shot again. But it doesn’t work like that. You have to do basics, basics, basics, and then slowly you get into the zone where it becomes easier.

It'll click for Wilshere eventually. The exact same thing applies to him and how he approaches football matches right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom