• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the goal is CL and a push next year, which is the only reasonable goal for a new manager and a squad he had no say in, then I think that 10-15% is reasonable, with the new singings adding stability. I honestly still think we will be up shit creek if RvP gets injured again, which is a dice roll.

All in all i know fuck all other than I want CL football again and next summer will be likely much busier than this one.

Agreed. Need 4th place, anything more than that is sweet delicious gravy

El Topo

LvG was satisfied with the Bayern team at once too. When shit didnt work tho, we bought Robben.

Just a lil preview.

By far his best purchase, although I guess Hoeneß was the driving force. He also kept Müller (and Badstuber) and gave him a lot of play time, also a great decision.

I'm not expecting anything major from us now. All this talk of "the list". They've had ages to get the players on "the list". Either they've tried and failed or they're just not that interested in spending big.

Think we will manage to sign players at the level of Blind/De Vrij etc but id be surprised if we got anyone who'd come in and immediately strengthen us. Possibly in midfield but almost anybody could manage that as things stand.

Blablurn

By far his best purchase, although I guess Hoeneß was the driving force. He also kept Müller (and Badstuber) and gave him a lot of play time, also a great decision.

Do you remember Robbens first game? How he and Ribery destroyed Wolfsburg? That's still one of my most favourit games of all time. Everything changed with Robben coming on.

Clegg

We won't get into the CL if we don't sign it least one more cb and fullback/wingback cover. I'm losing hope on the midfielder tbh. That might sound ridiculous as there's still 6 weeks left in the transfer window, but we really should've some more deals completed by now. These players need to be integrated into the squad. We can't wait until the last few weeks before signing more. Get a nagging feeling that if we going to make significant moves they'd be well advanced by now. But very little seems to be happening.

Salvadora

Even achieving Champions League is a big ask for Van Gaal tbh.

Chelsea and City are both absolutely guaranteed to be occupying two places with Arsenal, Liverpool and United competing for the remaining spots.

The advantage of having no European commitments could greatly diminish with Liverpool going out at the group stages, which is what will probably happen.

El Topo

Do you remember Robbens first game? How he and Ribery destroyed Wolfsburg? That's still one of my most favourit games of all time. Everything changed with Robben coming on.

I won't forget it. The last goal by Robben was just insane, dancing around Wolfsburg defense and goalkeeper, then crushing them. I think I still remember the commentary.

If Robben had stayed healthy during his career, he probably would've won ballon d'or.

Even achieving Champions League is a big ask for Van Gaal tbh.

Chelsea and City are both absolutely guaranteed to be occupying two places with Arsenal, Liverpool and United competing for the remaining spots.

The advantage of having no European commitments could greatly diminish with Liverpool going out at the group stages, which is what will probably happen.

Meh, it's still not that long ago Ferguson won the league with mostly the same team, with the rest admittedly underperforming a bit, the UTD squad hasn't exactly become worse since then though. A top 4 should certainly be what they ask for.

Salvadora

Meh, it's still not that long ago Ferguson won the league with mostly the same team, with the rest admittedly underperforming a bit, the UTD squad hasn't exactly become worse since then though. A top 4 should certainly be what they ask for.
Think it most certainly has with the departures of Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra in addition to the long-term injury of Carrick.

Van Persie, the bedrock of their title success, has reverted to form after spending much of the season on the sidelines.

Rooney has got worse too.

Think it most certainly has with the departures of Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra in addition to the long-term injury of Carrick.

Van Persie, the bedrock of their title success, has reverted to form after spending much of the season on the sidelines.

Well, everyone's gotten worse if you're measuring it by last season.

Still, 19 goals and 15 assists is still more than any Arsenal player managed last season.

Not bad for a player in decline playing in a team on the decline.

Tbf, Mata and Herrera are big upgrades over what we had that year too.

But I agree the defense is what worries me the most especially with the injury record we have.

They basically gave away Evra cause they think Shaw is better.

I guess you're right about the cd's though, also not sure about the Rooney part, he did look terrible under moyes and woy, but I'm not sure he actually got worse.

Also they have Mata now.

:(

They basically gave away Evra cause they think Shaw is better.

I guess you're right about the cd's though, also not sure about the Rooney part, he did look terrible under moyes and woy, but I'm not sure he actually got worse.

Also they have Mata now.

:(

Evra signed a new deal. Then his wife wanted to go because she hasn't been happy. We let him go because there is no use keeping an unhappy player in the squad.

I also blame Vidic moving to Moyes. I don't think he would have left otherwise.

Salvadora

Well, everyone's gotten worse if you're measuring it by last season.

Still, 19 goals and 15 assists is still more than any Arsenal player managed last season.

Not bad for a player in decline playing in a team on the decline.
How else can we measure it?

Comparing him to Arsenal does not counteract the point I was making.

Blablurn

I won't forget it. The last goal by Robben was just insane, dancing around Wolfsburg defense and goalkeeper, then crushing them. I think I still remember the commentary.

If Robben had stayed healthy during his career, he probably would've won ballon d'or.

but he would have not ended up in bayern then

Rooney can excel under LVG if he buckers up and listens to him. We will have to just wait and see, he is already looking more fit than he did last year.

Knee jerk signing time.

Enzo Perez or that Chilean DM who looked good in the world cup.

idk need name of Chilean DM

probably go with Chilean DM

Not in a kneejerk manner. If any of the top 4 had been managed by Moyes last season it'd be easy to state that their players are in decline.

More accurate analysis would be to say that they underperformed hugely under a shit manager.

Nothing because there's no speculation around his future (atm)

7HVsRCY.gif

Clegg

Moyes isn't a shit manager imo. Just one that isn't cut out to manage an elite level club which expects to win trophies every season.

Salvadora

Not in a kneejerk manner. If any of the top 4 had been managed by #Moyes last season it'd be easy to state that their players are in decline.

More accurate analysis would be to say that they underperformed hugely under a shit manager.
How is saying that the loss of Vidic and Ferdinand for example, the cornerstone of United's success in recent years, a kneejerk reaction?

It's widely thought among United GAF that Rooney peaked years ago and it's valid to express concern about an injury-prone player reverting to type.

Nothing I said was particularly debateable tbh.

How is saying that the loss of Vidic and Ferdinand for example, the cornerstone of United's success in recent years, a kneejerk reaction?

It's widely thought among United GAF that Rooney peaked years ago and it's valid to express concern about an injury-prone player reverting to type.

Pretty sure Evans was used a lot in the 12/13 season by United.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Not in a kneejerk manner. If any of the top 4 had been managed by Moyes last season it'd be easy to state that their players are in decline.

My mind could be changed if we get thumped tomorrow but, i agree with this

When Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra have ceased putting out top level performances together between them in the past couple of years, it becomes much less of a loss. But then I don't go in for that whole granting the benefit of one's experience from the bench drivel that some do.

Rooney whilst frustrating last season was very productive overall. He may be on a decline but that's hardly a big issue right now if he's producing to a far higher level compared to most PL players. I reserve my position on RVP until I see how he holds up this year with a coach that knows how to manage his fitness better.

So yes, your points are more than just debatable.

Slizz

Moyes isn't a shit manager imo. Just one that isn't cut out to manage an elite level club which expects to win trophies every season.

Elite level club means elite level egos, something Moyes wasn't prepared for at all. It also means expectations something he failed to meet or even encourage.

Salvadora

When Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra have ceased putting out top level performances together between them in the past couple of years, it becomes much less of a loss. But then I don't go in for that whole granting the benefit of one's experience from the bench drivel that some do.

Rooney whilst frustrating last season was very productive overall. He may be on a decline but that's hardly a big issue right now if he's producing to a far higher level compared to most PL players. I reserve my position on RVP until I see how he holds up this year with a coach that knows how to manage his fitness better.

So yes, your points are more than just debatable.
Right, lets go back to the original point.

Woodenlung said that "the UTD squad hasn't exactly become worse" since the 12/13 title win. I would contest that it has by contrasting what you had then and what you have now.

For example, I strongly recall people like Wilbur extolling the virtues of Ferdinand and how he was one of the best CBs in the league that season. You have nothing like that now. That's a fact.

Right, lets go back to the original point.

Woodenlung said that "the UTD squad hasn't exactly become worse" since the 12/13 title win. I would contest that it has by contrasting what you had then and what you have now.

For example, I strongly recall people like Wilbur extolling the virtues of Ferdinand and how he was one of the best CBs in the league that season. You have nothing like that now. That's a fact.

If the argument is 'have United gotten in any way worse since the 12/13 season' then I agree they quite obviously have. I just don't think we have nearly as significantly as is being made out by some, and while it's not a literal interpretation of Wooden's quote, I'd be willing to guess that's more or less what he meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom