• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Awight lads. Graduation was fun but I've just worked a 10 hour shift with another one to come tomorrow after three hours sleep. Madness.

Drogba to Chelsea is cool. He knows he's only second or third choice. Wonder what happens with Torres/Lukaku/Bamford etcetera.

Chambers; haven't seen much of him, but surprised just how many players Saints are letting go. I know money talks, and they've probably made an 80m profit so far, but selling your first choice left back, centre back, attacking midfielder and striker as well as losing your coach in one summer is crazy business. Hopefully Tadic and Pelle (and whoever else) do the business; I like Southampton and I'd hate to see them suffer because the Premier League have cannibalised them.

I always pull my socks up.

Me too.

that sounds racist

Z9cfyCV.jpg

Please understand

3Sixty

If they reinvest all this money

Why should we have to spend all the money? There still seems to be this conception that £££= quality.

Schneiderlin cost us £1m. Lovren £8m. Lambert £1m.

There is value out there. We are fortunate enough to have a scouting system that doesn't just buy players because they at one point sat on Madrid's bench.

Lightning

Banned
For me, it isn't.

Cazorla had a poor season last year by his standards and Podolski has clear as daylight deficiencies in his game. And both are lax defensively.
I don't think Arsenal are in such a luxury position that players like Santi Cazorla are not good enough for us, he was fine second half of the season in my view. Podolski had that horror injury but he was fine as well in the second half of the season too. Given the other areas that need fixing the LW position is and should be low on the priority list.

Ospina is good enough to replace Szczesny should Szcz lose his form. Great signing

Sanchez can play right wing and through the middle. Wenger did suggest that Sanchez will get time through the middle and with Walcott on the right that's plenty of pace.

Debuchy if Chambers comes in is a weird one. Okay signing I guess.

Chambers I was desperate for before the window started as he has incredible potential. I just don't want to see it wasted on the bench when he needs game time to continue developing, So the Debuchy signing is just annoying.

wedward

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 1m
Arsenal are working on a deal to sign Southamton defender Calum Chambers. Fee agreed & medical took place on Friday #afc #saintsfc

He has spoken boys

GET INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Luv you Jenks.

Salvadora

Arsenal are working on a deal to sign Southamton defender Calum Chambers. Fee agreed & medical took place on Friday #afc #saintsfc

He has spoken boys

Luv you Jenks.
YES

YES

YES

wedward

I don't think Arsenal are in such a luxury position that players like Santi Cazorla are not good enough for us, he was fine second half of the season in my view. Podolski had that horror injury but he was fine as well in the second half of the season too. Given the other areas that need fixing the LW position is and should be low on the priority list.

Ospina is good enough to replace Szczesny should Szcz lose his form. Great signing

Sanchez can play right wing and through the middle. Wenger did suggest that Sanchez will get time through the middle and with Walcott on the right that's plenty of pace.

Debuchy if Chambers comes in is a weird one. Okay signing I guess.

Chambers I was desperate for before the window started as he has incredible potential. I just don't want to see it wasted on the bench when he needs game time to continue developing, So the Debuchy signing is just annoying.

You think Chambers and Jenkinson is enough?

Why should we have to spend all the money? There still seems to be this conception that £££= quality.

There is value out there. We are fortunate enough to have a scouting system that doesn't just buy players because they at one point sat on Madrid's bench.

Schneiderlin, Lambert came up from the Championship. That helps. Bringing someone directly into the PL is different.

At least from my perspective.

I want you guys to stay up, I like Southampton. But I am worried, it is a tough task to rebuild a team with the players already gone and more on the way.

3Sixty

The biggest joke of it all is if we do replace some of the sold players with players from the academy or lesser known players it will "Saints lack ambition" Yet last season every cunting journo was wanking themselves to death over the academy players and Lambert, Morgan etc who were playing in the 3rd tier 4 years ago.

Fucking football is a cesspit.

Take me back to league fucking 1.

Meier

Teams will charge you more now that you have more money. They know this and will exploit it. If the player is ready to step into your first team, you won't be getting him for £1m at this point.

Wilbur

Banned

This is fair enough; and presumably if you reinvest that money wisely and spend as little as possible on quality, then you'll be better off in the long run

But it could be a real testing season because of the sheer amount of shake up.

Salvadora

I would agree with most of what you're saying.

But, ambition wise, LW is clearly an area which could be improved upon.

L1NETT

Boosh. Top post

Also the idea that mega bucks sticker book signings is imperative. I think more than anyone Saints have proved a great academy and value for money in the market is a really good way to go forward

The idea they have to go sugar rush FM crazy and spend it all like a fat bloke at Greggs who just found 20 quid in his jeans is so dumb.

The biggest joke of it all is if we do replace some of the sold players with players from the academy or lesser known players it will "Saints lack ambition" Yet last season every cunting journo was wanking themselves to death over the academy players and Lambert, Morgan etc who were playing in the 3rd tier 4 years ago.

Won't be long

Mastadon

Banned

Jos Hooiveld will keep you up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Next season maybe my most anticipated, im full on football fever :| I cannot wait.

What took you so long.

This reminds me of an interview Larry David did with Conan :lol Don't dream, don't hope..it will only end in disappointment

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness.

EmiPrime

Southampton will stay up. There will almost certainly be 3 worse teams, I don't know if Villa and WBA will avoid the drop this time.

Lightning

Banned

He has spoken boys

Luv you Jenks.

Welcome to Arsenal Calum Chambers, This is done.

Linius

Teams will charge you more now that you have more money. They know this and will exploit it. If the player is ready to step into your first team, you won't be getting him for £1m at this point.

That's only the case if you're a top club. Southampton just happen to have a good summer transfer wise but that doesn't make them a rich club all of a sudden.

L1NETT

Southampton will stay up. There will almost certainly be 3 worse teams, I don't know if Villa and WBA will avoid the drop this time.

This too

West Bromwich bloody Albion

Buying players blind, employing an Academy coach and Tim Sherwood turned them down due to a lack of gilets

Down by Halloween

Salvadora

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 3m
I'm told Arsenal want Morgan Schneiderlin AND Callum Chambers from Southampton. Spurs have also made an enquiry for Jay Rodriguez

WE BUYING IN BULK BABY.

GIIMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ITS ALL COMING UP WENGYYYYYYY
The Jay Rodriguez bit makes me laugh so much :lol

3Sixty

Obviously the 1m was just making a point.

But take Lovren for example, signed for £8m sold for £20m. If we don't replace him with a £20m centre back is it suddenly unambitious? Are we failing to replace a £20m player or an £8m one?

jtb

Banned
LW may be a luxury position but so is spending 25m on two right backs, one of which is already 29, both of which are (for the time being) downgrades.

still very frustrated with the Debuchy signing. he's got maybe a season and a half of (sub-Sagna level) play left in the tank and we paid Newcastle 10m for him instead of buying him two seasons ago when Lille were begging for clubs to buy him for half the price? Wenger had faith in Jenkinson then but not now? bizarre and crushing, now that we know Jenkinson is actually good.

Meier

Obviously the 1m was just making a point.

But take Lovren for example, signed for £8m sold for £20m. If we don't replace him with a £20m centre back is it suddenly unambitious? Are we failing to replace a £20m player or an £8m one?
Nope, would be good business. I trust you guys have the scouts and obviously the funds to buy replacements. Whether or not your new chairperson will do so remains to be seen though...

I know Guidetti has been linked for £5-6m due to the RoKo connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom