• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

wenger5.jpg

2nuk5eremo21.png

1548xv49qocm.png

wenger5.jpg

Scum

Why should we have to spend all the money? There still seems to be this conception that £££= quality.

Schneiderlin cost us £1m. Lovren £8m. Lambert £1m.

There is value out there. We are fortunate enough to have a scouting system that doesn't just buy players because they at one point sat on Madrid's bench.

Boosh. Top post

Also the idea that mega bucks sticker book signings is imperative. I think more than anyone Saints have proved a great academy and value for money in the market is a really good way to go forward

The idea they have to go sugar rush FM crazy and spend it all like a fat bloke at Greggs who just found 20 quid in his jeans is so dumb.

:-(

Wilbur

Banned
YES

YES

YES

I do have to say, I think your post earlier saying "what a window" was a bit odd

Sanchez is a fucking dynamite signing, this is true (with the caveat that the two positions he's most likely to play - up front and the wing - aren't his best positions)

But the others? Decent to good signings. Obviously you needed a back up keeper with Fabianski gone but that was out of necessity, and while Ospina is a good keeper he's still a second choice. No reason to be jumping out of your seat on that one.

Debuchy isn't an improvement on Sagna, in my opinion (regardless of the fact he started ahead of him for France), and Chambers is promising enough but not of the quality that would make me declare "what a window"

Chelsea's transfer window is the benchmark. They've improved in goal, at left back, at right back (now Azpi will move back there), in centre midfield and up front. Arsenal's four signings so far consist of one starting improvement, two improvements in back up positions and one which is at the very most a stagnation of quality, and that's being generous.

I will add before I get snappy remarks that I think you've done good business (not great! Good), but there is still need for a deep lying midfielder and a striker in starting positions. Get them, and it's a fucking great window.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone know when the LvG presser is tonight?

Salvadora

still very frustrated with the Debuchy signing. he's got maybe a season and a half of (sub-Sagna level) play left in the tank and we paid Newcastle 10m for him instead of buying him two seasons ago when Lille were begging for clubs to buy him for half the price? Wenger had faith in Jenkinson then but not now? bizarre and crushing, now that we know Jenkinson is actually good.
Why would we buy Debuchy 2 years ago when we had Sagna?

jtb, I want to love you. But you're making it hard.

wedward

I do have to say, I think your post earlier saying "what a window" was a bit odd

Sanchez is a fucking dynamite signing, this is true (with the caveat that the two positions he's most likely to play - up front and the wing - aren't his best positions)

But the others? Decent to good signings. Obviously you needed a back up keeper with Fabianski gone but that was out of necessity, and while Ospina is a good keeper he's still a second choice. No reason to be jumping out of your seat on that one.

Debuchy isn't an improvement on Sagna, in my opinion (regardless of the fact he started ahead of him for France), and Chambers is promising enough but not of the quality that would make me declare "what a window"

Chelsea's transfer window is the benchmark. They've improved in goal, at left back, at right back (now Azpi will move back there), in centre midfield and up front. Arsenal's four signings so far consist of one starting improvement, two improvements in back up positions and one which is at the very most a stagnation of quality, and that's being generous.

I will add before I get snappy remarks that I think you've done good business (not great! Good), but there is still need for a deep lying midfielder and a striker in starting positions. Get them, and it's a fucking great window.

When you look at in context of previous Arsenal transfer windows it is one of the better ones. I don't think it is a great window unless we get a DM.

L1NETT

And don't forget Burnley

They've signed Michael Kightly....Matt Gilks.....Marvin Sordell....Matt Taylor...Steven Reid and that Lukas Jukewhatever bloke and they are managed by a wheezy old man who looks like a new potato

Saints will have to try really really hard to get relegated this year

Salvadora

I think you're ignoring the context Wilbur.

You don't know what it's like to be an Arsenal fan in the summer.

Imagine losing Rooney to City one year. Then Mata to Chelsea the next. Imagine.

jtb

Banned
Why would we buy Debuchy 2 years ago when we had Sagna?

jtb, I want to love you. But you're making it hard.

the same reason Wenger bought Monreal when we had Gibbs? it's a squad game, etc. etc. let's not forget, Jenkinson was our starting full back then because Sagna broke his leg and everyone (myself included) was getting traumatic flashbacks to the 8-2 prior to the masterclass he put on at Anfield

K1LLER7

Awight lads. Graduation was fun but I've just worked a 10 hour shift with another one to come tomorrow after three hours sleep. Madness.

Drogba to Chelsea is cool. He knows he's only second or third choice. Wonder what happens with Torres/Lukaku/Bamford etcetera.

Chambers; haven't seen much of him, but surprised just how many players Saints are letting go. I know money talks, and they've probably made an 80m profit so far, but selling your first choice left back, centre back, attacking midfielder and striker as well as losing your coach in one summer is crazy business. Hopefully Tadic and Pelle (and whoever else) do the business; I like Southampton and I'd hate to see them suffer because the Premier League have cannibalised them.
Congrats on the Graduation m8.

On to the real world :(

Wilbur

Banned
When you look at in context of previous Arsenal transfer windows it is one of the better ones. I don't think it is a great window unless we get a DM.

This is true (although it's like saying a Friday night in with a mediocre curry is better than the Friday night last week where you shit yourself and a tramp stole your wallet)

Mastadon

Banned
Saints won't get relegated. Even with all the players they've sold, they've got a good side. Something along the lines of:

250714234742.png

And that's without any further additions. Talk about De Vrij and Rojo being targeted.

3Sixty

They've signed Michael Kightly....Matt Gilks.....Marvin Sordell....Matt Taylor...Steven Reid and that Lukas Jukewhatever bloke and they are managed by a wheezy old man who looks like a new potato

The Juke Box is a #Lad

He's been on about 5 holidays this summer and all his pictures clog up my facebook feed :(

EmiPrime

This is true (although it's like saying a Friday night in with a mediocre curry is better than the Friday night last week where you shit yourself and a tramp stole your wallet)

Well, that's what it's like to be an Arsenal fan every summer.

Except this one maybe.

Please understand.

wedward

True, but for Arsenal fans transfer windows have been pretty horrific lately.

Sanchez is huge. Schneiderlin would fill a hole we have had for years. Ospina is solid and potentially and upgrade and Debuchy/Chambers could potentially be an upgrade over Sagna/Jenks, and at worst, about the same.

Salvadora

Thought you would have seen the change in Arsenal transfer policy, the pain we suffered, and understood how we felt.

I thought I knew you.

the same reason Wenger bought Monreal when we had Gibbs? it's a squad game, etc. etc. let's not forget, Jenkinson was our starting full back then because Sagna broke his leg and everyone (myself included) was getting traumatic flashbacks to the 8-2 prior to the masterclass he put on at Anfield
I firmly believe that Debuchy would not have come to us to be a number 2.

Wilbur

Banned
And don't forget Burnley

Saints will have to try really really hard to get relegated this year

:lol

Burnley, WBA and... dunno yet. But those signings are appalling.

Surprised to see Leicester spend 7m on Ulloa, that's a lot of money for someone who I don't think is a given thing in the PL. Especially considering Palace just spent under a million on Fraizer Campbell who showed he can threaten at the top level.

3Sixty

Saints won't get relegated. Even with all the players they've sold, they've got a good side. Something along the lines of:

And that's without any further additions. Talk about De Vrij and Rojo being targeted.

Init.

CB is the only spot i'd say we're weak but we are after 2 new CB's so not that worried.

After a keeper because Boruc is a bit mental and our next best keeper is Kelvin fucking Davis.

Need a striker for depth and we're golden.

Wilbs where in London do you live? Anywhere near Hackney you should go watch my brother play in October. It will be almost like meeting me, just slimmer and way higher.

:lol

Burnley, WBA and... dunno yet. But those signings are appalling.

Surprised to see Leicester spend 7m on Ulloa, that's a lot of money for someone who I don't think is a given thing in the PL. Especially considering Palace just spent under a million on Fraizer Campbell who showed he can threaten at the top level.

13 Premier League goals in 108 games.

Wilbur

Banned
I think you're ignoring the context Wilbur.

You don't know what it's like to be an Arsenal fan in the summer.

Imagine losing Rooney to City one year. Then Mata to Chelsea the next. Imagine.

I'd fucking love to lose that fat cunt to City, would give me more reason to hate both of them.

and pls we didn't sign a central midfielder for like five years and when we did it was a walking supremes tribute artist

Mastadon

Banned
Init.

CB is the only spot i'd say we're weak but we are after 2 new CB's so not that worried.

After a keeper because Boruc is a bit mental and our next best keeper is Kelvin fucking Davis.

Van Djik and Forster seem like obvious, easy replacements. I think a 'bigger' team has the potential of beating you to Rojo. Plus he's a fucking mentalist too.

jtb

Banned
Thought you would have seen the change in Arsenal transfer policy, the pain we suffered, and understood how we felt.

I thought I knew you.

I firmly believe that Debuchy would not have come to us to be a number 2.

Sagna broke his leg. Tell Debuchy to fight for his place. whoever wins the Arsenal right back position wins the France right back slot too. high stakes fight to the death.

also, money

Salvadora

I'd fucking love to lose that fat cunt to City, would give me more reason to hate both of them.

and pls we didn't sign a central midfielder for like five years and when we did it was a walking supremes tribute artist
YOU FUCKING WON THE LEAGUE MULTIPLE TIMES DURING THAT PERIOD U CUNT

Wilbur

Banned
Init.

You definitely need a CB. Hooiveld and Yoshida, Christ :lol. And you know I ain't no fan of Fonte m8 (apart from his GORGEOUS hair)

Wilbs where in London do you live? Anywhere near Hackney you should go watch my brother play in October. It will be almost like meeting me, just slimmer and way higher.

Yeah I can get there easily enough, I might actually go :lol

3Sixty

Van Djik and Forster seem like obvious, easy replacements. I think a 'bigger' team has the potential of beating you to Rojo. Plus he's a fucking mentalist too.

Yeah I'd just chuck like £15m at Celtic and be done with it.

Not too keen on Rojo. Targett could probably do the left back job pretty well, he's a player.

When does JRod rise from his grave?

December last i heard.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't even know, it just hit me all of a sudden. Ricky being all depressed on Twitter isn't helping, lol.
Ahahahahaha Ricky is brilliant

Well

at least we're gonna suffer, together.

tumblr_mu5k0rUCN31sn4rzbo1_500.gif

Winter is coming

Allegri the Abyssbringer is coming HERE

Lightning

Banned

Wilbur you need to understand that Arsenal of the last 4 years would not have done this

Fabianski would have been replaced with Damien Martinez and we would have signed some 18yr old gk from somewhere to replace Martinez. Btw Martinez sucks balls. Go watch the 7-5 Arsenal vs Reading game for an example of this fool.

Sagna would have been replaced by Jenkinson and Bellerin slots on the bench. Done.

Sanchez would have ended with us signing Loic Remy.

And there would be no Chambers purchase for future at all.

Plenty of reasons for Arsenal fans to be happy. The corner is finally turning. Hasn't turned enough that we can challenge Chelsea or City by progress is definitely being made.

jtb

Banned
Wilbur you need to understand that Arsenal of the last 4 years would not have done this

Fabinski would have been replaced with Damien Martinez and we would have signed some 18yr old gk from somewhere to replace Martinez. Btw Martinez sucks balls. Go watch the 7-5 Arsenal vs Reading game for an example of this fool.

Sagna would have been replaced by Jenkinson and Bellerin slots on the bench. Done.

Sanchez would have ended with us signing Loic Remy.

And there would be no Chambers purchase for future at all.

Plenty of reasons for Arsenal fans to be happy. The corner is finally turning. Hasn't turned enough that we can challenge Chelsea or City by progress is definitely being made.

I would still take bargain bin Remy though. I have zero faith in Giroud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom