• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Those Familiar With Technic Beat... Enter

I've been playing this game for a bit and I really don't know what the hell is going on. Everything is simply confusing... what does what? Why are some songs red, yellow, and green? How do I unlock stuff? Why are so some songs appear but then then suddenly disappear? Help!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mine came in today, but I've yet to plug it in. Sadly, I think it's on my "auto-shelve until it's not this year any longer" shelve. Some decidedly awesome games just won't be touched by me until I have more time. :(

BuddyC

Here's how things work. In Arcade mode, you get to choose from three songs. With each song you pass, the selection because larger and more varied (read as: difficult). Then, after the third song, you're back at square one.

Each time you play a song, you unlock it in Free (or something like that) mode. Therefore, you may want to start keeping track of the songs you have/haven't played if you want to unlock them all. It's a lot like the way Samba de Amigo handled its arcade mode, if you're familiar with that.

As for the song colors, I think it has something to do with where they came from, other Arika games, Namco games, or "original" songs.

If you're hung up on the gameplay mechanics, the manual and the training mode do a nice job of explaining things. Don't even ask me about the "you just beat three songs in arcade mode" mini-game, I still haven't figured out the controls there.

BuddyChrist83 said:
Here's how things work. In Arcade mode, you get to choose from three songs. With each song you pass, the selection because larger and more varied (read as: difficult). Then, after the third song, you're back at square one.

Each time you play a song, you unlock it in Free (or something like that) mode. Therefore, you may want to start keeping track of the songs you have/haven't played if you want to unlock them all. It's a lot like the way Samba de Amigo handled its arcade mode, if you're familiar with that.

As for the song colors, I think it has something to do with where they came from, other Arika games, Namco games, or "original" songs.

If you're hung up on the gameplay mechanics, the manual and the training mode do a nice job of explaining things. Don't even ask me about the "you just beat three songs in arcade mode" mini-game, I still haven't figured out the controls there.

Thanks mucho for the explanation BC. I have no problems with the mechanics, but the actual game progression was never fully explained.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
BuddyC just hit on my biggest (ok, my ONLY) Technic Beat complaint.

You have to play games in Arcade mode to unlock them in free mode. That's fine. I have no problem with that. The problem is, When selecting songs in arcade mode, nothing TELLS you if you've played it out not -_-

Unless you're manually keeping track, on paper, it'll take a long, LONG time to get all 80+ tracks in free mode. I can see myself having 5 tracks left to get in free mode, and then never remembering which ones they are...

I have a question of my own:

Leveling up - what's the purpose, what aspects of your performance determine whether you level up or not, etc.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's also worth mentioning that 'challenge' is basically an entire game of its own. They make you do things like activate X number of beats with your controls reversed, or everything sped up, or lots of other crazy shit. I've been spending a lot of my time with it lately.

Top Bottom