• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you with paid IGN or Gamespot accounts

EmSeta

- What do you value the most with your subscriptions? (downloads, editorial contents, discounts?)

- What do you think is a reasonable price to pay / month for such a service, and what should it contain for that fee?

- Would you say it feels more natural to pay for a gaming mag than an internet site, even though the site offers the same (if not more) contents? Why?

i have both. but i like gamespot better

-do you value the most with your subscriptions? (downloads, editorial contents, discounts?)
downloads, no-ads, eb discour

- What do you think is a reasonable price to pay / month for such a service, and what should it contain for that fee?
$30

snapty00

Banned
I have Insider. I think it's totally worthless.

Seriously, if you have a membership at GAF, you'll get the news faster, more reliably, and without Matt, Jeremy, or Hilary's fanboyish spin attached. Hell, I see even a lot of the supposed "exclusive" shit on this forum.

Stick with GAF.

IJoel

Gamespot's media and web interface is much better than IGN's.

IGN's previews are, however, much better than the mediocre canned previews that Gamespot publishes. Seriously, it's like they have a template with fill-in fields.

As for reviews, I just average both, in terms of scores. As for review content, IGN's reviews are usually more in-depth than Gamespot's reviews.

Bog

Junior Ace
I have GSC just because I'm too lazy to cancel it (after E3). I never even go to that site.

ChrisReid

I have Gamespot. Video reviews are good. I've probably gotten most of my money's worth back in discounts. I frequently browse the old title database and want access to all the pictures and videos and stuff.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It amazes me that people pay $$ for such things when all the information they provide (eventually) will be free.

SantaC

I have IGN insider, and it's only good around E3. My insider has never felt so useless as of now. I will probably keep it though.

I have Gamespot, which I originally signed up for the downloads alone.

So now I get more news here then there, but I keep paying because I hate all the animated ads flying around when I visit and I still value the downloads.

The wealth of trailers, gameplay footage, and video reviews is certainly worth the admission.

The Profiles and Game Collections are fun, though free, and the tracked games can keep me focused on the titles I'm really interested in, which is really important for the next few months.

Since gaming is stuck in a perpetual state of looking forward, I decided that having magazines around with previews on a game I beat a year and a half ago was worthless. I simply don't value old information, and I hated the clutter, so out went years worth of PC Gamer, Game Informer, some EGM, and the complete PC Accelerator.

The only thing I really miss, not buying magazines, is demos for the consoles. I'd dig a RE4 or MGS3 demos about now. I guess there are some exclusives, but those usually get scanned anyway and I still see them.

Gamespot suits my needs, very, very well

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Ramirez said:
I have IGN so I can d/l movies...its not any worse than payin for a mag sub to me...

IAWTP. To me, this is the only legitimate reason to have subscription to either site.

SyNapSe

I have GSC. It's ok.. I like to be able to view all the media about any games, etc. with no restrictions. I originally purchased it for just a month for E3 2003? It's only $24.95 a year, I believe.

I don't use EBgames website a lot, but the 10% discount helps to pay a small part of that yearly fee off.

I have both IGN and Gamespot for the movies... I always resubscribe around e3 time when they have discounted rates... don't think I would go for both at full price.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I have Insider...mostly for the movies but I just HATE seeing that "Insider only" page...so I guess I'm a sucker ;P

I have IGN. It doesn't provide a whole lot, but then it doesn't cost a whole lot either. So I don't have issues. GA doesn't always have the latest videos. There are times when a video is hot and people are begging with IM. 20 dollars a year (assuming you buy during their sale periods) avoids that.

And do I think it's a better deal than magazines? Yes. Magazines are worthless. The only subscriptions I've done in years are the free offers, and even then I feel I'm getting very little value out of it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GSC is a bit of a con now they made all the videos available to everyone, you are pretty much just paying to get rid of the ads.

I have Insider just for the Japanese Commercials. So needless to say, when they skip a week, which is quite often these days, I'm pretty pissed. As for actual news, everyone knows the writing on IGN is pure shit. I go to the GAF for all my info.

Oh! My Car! said:
IGN, just for hires footage. GAF for everything else.

I just wanted to point out that you have pretty much the coolest online name on the planet.

Top Bottom