• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who want Xbox Media Center but don't have an Xbox...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a cheap alternative:

0003784994601_500X500.jpg

Philips DVP-642

Reads:

CD
CD-R
CD-RW
DVD
DVD-R
DVD+R
DVD-RW
DVD+RW

Plays:

CD Audio
DVD Video
VCD
SVCD
MPG
AVI
Mpeg 4
Divx 3, 4, 5
Xvid
ASF
MP3
WMA
JPG

Other Features:

Progressive Scan
Region Free
Macrovision Free
Converts PAL to NTSC
4x Video Upsampling

Where to buy:

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000204SWE/ref=nosim/techbargainscom/104-3586136-1532712
$69.99 + Free Shipping

Wal-Mart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...4&product_id=2598455&path=0:3944:62055:110929
$69.84 + Shipping

neptunes

This is cool, would I be able to get it at any wal-mart?

most of the vids I watch are encoded with some special codec though.

Phoenix

Without the ability to stream over the network, this is just a fairly standard DVD player for me. If I have to burn my own content to play it on the box I'll just convert them to what my current Apex DVD player plays :)

Fusebox

Banned
I have a cheap stand-alone DiVX etc playing DVD player and it's terrific - unlike my Xbox and PC the unit (Trio-628) is silent and it is less fussy about the media it plays too. I just throw 4 or 5 movies on one DVD+RW and away I go.

700 meg DiVX rips played back on my 68cm Trinitron are more than acceptable, although it all falls apart when it gets hooked up to my unforgiving plasma screen.

jiggle

For the divx movies like all those fansubbed animes, do you just burn them on a dvd as a data disc, and this player will play it?

Kalren

jiggle said:
For the divx movies like all those fansubbed animes, do you just burn them on a dvd as a data disc, and this player will play it?

Some files that won't play are .ogg and .ogm files.

Apharmd Battler said:
Tempted......

I was looking for another multi-purpsoe backup player for when guests come to stay. Is this in store or onine only?

It's sold in stores, but stock is hard to come by. You can try Target and Wal-Mart, but it's probably much easier to get it online, and faster.

Friend

Looks nice but no networking capabilities and no .ogm/.mkv capabilities means no sale for me. The price is right though for those who don't have xbmc nor have a pc they can use for tv-out.

fyi, I believe goodguys has this particular unit on sale in store for $50 after rebate.

Fusebox

Banned
Friend said:
The price is right though for those who don't have xbmc nor have a pc they can use for tv-out.

I have both and I still get heaps of use out of my standalone as a silent late-night DiVX player it's ace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom