• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite and Epic Games Store now available on iPhone in the EU.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Epic Games Store is now available for iPhone users in the European Union, after Apple was forced to allow third-party app marketplaces as part of compliance with the EU’s Digital Markets Act.

Most notably, this means Fortnite is now once again available to download on the iPhone … if you are in the European Union. You can get the Epic Games Store by visiting this page on your device. Beyond its own store, Epic is also releasing Fortnite on AltStore PAL.

I never thought I’d see the day.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As someone who hates Apple, this isn't a win. Apple, for as shitty as they are as a company, crafted a product. It was a walled garden at its core, and this was allowed and acceptable.

This ruling by the EU is basically saying that any hardware-based product you make that includes software-based storefront options requires you to let other people/companies profit off of your hard work. I am all for being pro-consumer, but to an extent. The customer is not always right.

There are alternatives to Apple that exist if you want other storefronts. Epic could make their own hardware products with its own storefront. It chooses not to do this, and instead relies on being parasitic with someone else's product. That's shitty.

Quasicat

I saw the new skin on Fortnite, which requires playing on Android or iOS and I can get it since I am based in the US. I would love to be able to play Fortnite on my iPad, since I take it to work with me.

Trogdor1123

As someone who hates Apple, this isn't a win. Apple, for as shitty as they are as a company, crafted a product. It was a walled garden at its core, and this was allowed and acceptable.

This ruling by the EU is basically saying that any hardware-based product you make that includes software-based storefront options requires you to let other people/companies profit off of your hard work. I am all for being pro-consumer, but to an extent. The customer is not always right.

There are alternatives to Apple that exist if you want other storefronts. Epic could make their own hardware products with its own storefront. It chooses not to do this, and instead relies on being parasitic with someone else's product. That's shitty.
I kind of agree and disagree. I disagree in a company telling me what I can or can’t tell me what I can put on the device I own but I also think they shouldn’t be responsible for any warranty when I use it outside of its expected use, which I’d say this does.

I agree that people are stupid though they usually need to be guided. Ask anyone that has ever worked in IT or the service industry. I also think that people need to be responsible in their purchases and realize willingly bought into an eco system, also think it matters if something is a loss leader. That’s a consideration too.

It’s a complicated thing where I’m unsure of where I completely stand. I think id be in favour of it but believe Apple, or anyone else, shouldn’t have to provide any support for it at all. Zero.

Synless

I kind of agree and disagree. I disagree in a company telling me what I can or can’t tell me what I can put on the device I own but I also think they shouldn’t be responsible for any warranty when I use it outside of its expected use, which I’d say this does.

I agree that people are stupid though they usually need to be guided. Ask anyone that has ever worked in IT or the service industry. I also think that people need to be responsible in their purchases and realize willingly bought into an eco system, also think it matters if something is a loss leader. That’s a consideration too.

It’s a complicated thing where I’m unsure of where I completely stand. I think id be in favour of it but believe Apple, or anyone else, shouldn’t have to provide any support for it at all. Zero.
The thing is, Apple has never given any one else the illusion that a person could do whatever they wanted and people knew what they were buying. That’s why there are alternatives you can buy If you want that kind of thing. That’s why I’m against it.

StereoVsn

Yep, generally people act without thought so I can foresee iOS becoming worse from security perspective.

And of course EU is overreaching as we speak on their goddam dumb chat decryption mandate. And I am usually Pro EU in these corpo deals.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nah, walled gardens only benefit the platform holder giving them a monopoly and allowing them to abuse developers.

Other stores and payment methods should be allowed everywhere. They are better and more fair for everybody: the devs, the platform holder and the consumers.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

The ruling isn't saying that at all, and special consideration for iPhone comes from it being a general computer telephony device. iPhone itself was built off the backs of the likes of Psion, Nokia, Texas Instruments and Sony Ericson that built the first pocket smart devices; the latter 3 developing the first smartphones and did lots of R&D that led to important audio, communication and telephony patented tech that Apple have enjoyed a legal right to license at fair terms to catch up after all the telephony, battery work was done by the market while they sat it out.

If this was a luxury dedicated audio/video or gaming device, then other store fronts wouldn't have been given this right.

At the point where the rights of a company come into conflict with the wider rights of the general public, do you not agree that it is the company entity that was knowingly setup with risk for commercial gain that should be disadvantaged in that scenario?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Nah man. People can carry guns, they can think for themselves if they want a walled off software garden or not.

EU is pro consumer here.

Shubh_C63

Even if unfair, I think it's ok because it is happening to the largest wealthiest corporation on the planet.

When you're so close to a monopoly and sure to deploy some shady practices to curb the rise of other storefronts in some fashion, its alright to make an exception.

Cyberpunkd

Will someone think of multibillion dollar companies?
I was wondering when Americans will show up with their hot takes.

Fahdis

Mr. Tim Cook, you don't have to be this salty. I can almost taste you all the way from the Himalayas and this is where Pink Salt comes from.

Goalus

Like Valve with Steam.

Chukhopops

Even if unfair, I think it's ok because it is happening to the largest wealthiest corporation on the planet.

When you're so close to a monopoly and sure to deploy some shady practices to curb the rise of other storefronts in some fashion, its alright to make an exception.
I really don’t see what’s unfair about it.

Take a (huge) fee for payments you process on your platform - ok

Forbid all apps on your platform from using a different payment processor to avoid those fees - not ok

Force price parity on payments outside your platform with prices inside your platform - how the fuck does that even exist?

There’s nothing unfair about changing this, not to mention a lot of users will keep using the Apple processing and pay the fees.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Will someone think of multibillion dollar companies?
I was wondering when Americans will show up with their hot takes.

This ruling would make it so that a new company (not a multi-billion dollar corporation) would be forced to allow multi-billion dollar corporations to weasel in on their work. That's the problem I have with this. Both companies in question are American companies. Be less of a cunt when you reply to my posts in the future.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

That walled garden was fine until Apple decided to abuse its market power and break competition rules.
If the big tech companies and especially Apple didnt break laws left and right the EU wouldnt have been forced to regulate them.
They caused this themselves by laughing at regulators.
Why are you spreading misinformation?
The DMA rules are NOT for "hardware based products that have a software component". There is tons of those available without falling afoul of DMA rules.
Those rules are only for companies large enough to be Gatekeepers that can abuse their market power.
Again this has nothing to with "hardware products with software stores", you dont know what you are talking about.
It is pretty interesting that you call Epic parasitic, while Apple is the company that broke competition laws left and right and behaved parasitic in all the markets they operate in.
For you the abuser is the victim here, which is pretty fucked up.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Worldwide on Android and European Union for iOS. This is just so dumb. How is this benefiting Apple? It only makes Android the better choice.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Ah, the classic 'I-hate-Apple-but-they're-better-than-everyone-else' stance. So, Apple's a walled garden, but forcing them to open the gates is somehow wrong? Sounds like you're more interested in protecting corporate profits than consumer choice. Epic might be a sucker for wanting a piece of the pie, but at least they're trying to break the monopoly

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Ah, the classic 'I-hate-Apple-but-they're-better-than-everyone-else' stance.

Ah, the classic, "My reading comprehension is poor, so I'll make a retarded comment that I think is intelligent," stance.

I never said that, and I would be fine with apple going bankrupt. Try again, but be less stupid next time.

TVexperto

Ah, the classic, "My reading comprehension is poor, so I'll make a retarded comment that I think is intelligent," stance.

I never said that, and I would be fine with apple going bankrupt. Try again, but be less stupid next time.
Wow, someone's fragile ego can't handle a differing opinion. I guess insults are easier than engaging in actual discourse. It’s almost as if you're scared of your own argument falling apart. Feel free to continue living in your bubble of corporate worship. I'll be over here in the real world, where consumers have rights (Europe)

Chukhopops

Worldwide on Android and European Union for iOS. This is just so dumb. How is this benefiting Apple? It only makes Android the better choice.
You may be missing some important context here, Apple doesn’t want that and they kicked out Fortnite from the App Store when Epic implemented a direct payment option.

They’re doing this only in EU because that’s where DMA exists and it comes with many other changes such as opening NFC payments for example.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Wow, someone's fragile ego can't handle a differing opinion. I guess insults are easier than engaging in actual discourse. It’s almost as if you're scared of your own argument falling apart. Feel free to continue living in your bubble of corporate worship. I'll be over here in the real world, where consumers have rights (Europe)

I can handle a different opinion. What I replied to wasn't a difference of opinion, but you being dense as fuck and saying I said shit that I didn't say. Feel free to continue living in your bubble of idiocy. Disagree with me all you want. Just don't lie about what I actually say.

San Diego Middle Finger GIF by Aaron Della Vedova

Bernoulli

M2 slut

Tell them to stop sideloading on MacOS too then

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Are you serious?

mitch1971

Gold Member

Poor old trillion dollar Apple.

Top Bottom