• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Got it to work on my own, but thanks for the help. Saving it for the web was what needed to happen. It's only about 12KB now :p
It's a useful trick that nobody ever seems to mention. I'm glad I could help, and glad you got it working!

snack

image.php

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=882&dateline=1302489945

Can someone make me 2 floating head avatars (like the ones above) using these pictures below?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/228420/derrick-rose-02-409.jpg
http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+South+Regional+6RfqLg2klyul.jpg

Thanks!

Shig said:
Kinda loses context if it doesn't hint how high up they are imo. edit: damn your edits!

avidnobody.jpg
avidnobody2.gif

edit: damn your edits!
edit2- Added a transparent one, too

I hate sounding picky, but is there anyway you could zoom out just a little more than it already is?

I'd do this, but whenever I edit images in irfanview they turn out much muddier. Anyone know any ways to prevent this?

Hatty

AvidNobody said:
I hate sounding picky, but is there anyway you could zoom out just a little more than it already is?

I'd do this, but whenever I edit images in irfanview they turn out much muddier. Anyone know any ways to prevent this?
uYaU0.jpg

how is this?

AvidNobody said:
It's just an image viewer? At least, that's what it appears to be from what my search turned up.

More than likely, it just compresses your images a lot to make file sizes smaller. That program is likely not concerned with quality as much as something like photoshop would be.

If you can get your hands on something like Gimp you might see if it has better results. It's legal and free, what's not to like?

Clipper

Shig said:
That's not what I did, I found a bigger source and sized it down.

Also you're in no position to be giving avatar-making critiques after the ugly, lazy-ass resizing you tossed out in your previous post.
Sorry about jumping to conclusions, but I was comparing your image and the one immediately above you and they appeared to have the same border boundaries, so one of them had to have been squished or stretched (I guess I picked the wrong one or misjudged).

And thanks for the ad hominem attack. People posting images should ask if they want them cropped to a better image size. Posting the full resized avatar isn't lazy, it's being safe. I was planning to do a few more zoomed ones, but saw that they had already been posted when I made my post of the full one.

Feel free to critique my album of previous GAFatars I've made, though.

Mothman91

Can anyone make a floating head avatar like this one?

2pza3k2.gif

If you can, same concept with an outline of black or slate blue! Here is the picture I would like avatar'd!
wall_john.jpg

Please and thanks!

Clipper

weekend_warrior said:
Man I fucking love lightless_shado's old avatar.

th_girl5.gif
Heh, that was one of mine :). It's a pity all that stuff I learned while trying to fit avatars into the 150kB restriction is probably never going to be useful again.

Clipper said:
Heh, that was one of mine :). It's a pity all that stuff I learned while trying to fit avatars into the 150kB restriction is probably never going to be useful again.

Same here man, all the time making avatars... wasted. :(

Crisis

Banned
Well, I had my old snake smoking a cigarette avatar taken away. Would anyone like to try their hand at something original for an avatar for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Crisis said:
Well, I had my old snake smoking a cigarette avatar taken away. Would anyone like to try their hand at something original for an avatar for me? It would be greatly appreciated.
Kkr6V.png
QU40u.png
47L18.png
BURGER MAN!
I don't know why I have this saved, but I like it, haha.

can someone make this with the background of gaf? so there is no white. Also gafsized. I am not sure if it is still good to go.. this was my avatar before.

Thanks so much!

mlNeL.png

FoxMcCloudDS said:
can someone make this with the background of gaf? so there is no white. Also gafsized. I am not sure if it is still good to go.. this was my avatar before.

Thanks so much!
HtSOi.png
9Z6OB.png

Does this look okay?
I used a different image just to work with the edges better. I apologize if the colors are off for you.

Also, your previous one works just fine. It's just 90x120 instead of a 100x120.
There was no white aside from a few spots in tight spots, from what I could see.

RadioHeadAche said:
How exactly are those avatars with transparent backgrounds made? Could someone tell me how to do so using GIMP 2?

When it's a solid background you can use the color selector tool (looks like this
5S6Ta.png
) select the background and use the eraser tool to erase it. Sometimes you have to clean up edges with just the eraser. Save as PNG because JPEG can't do transparency.

Full Metal Jacket said:

Is that avatar saved as APNG? I couldn't find any program to convert GIF into APNG.

Guevara

Would anyone be kind enough to make Tallon IV here transparent? I don't know how to handle the glowing blue outline and stars.

Tallon_IV_Seen_From_Space.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom