• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frasier (2023) | Teaser | Paramount+

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Prob would have been better if the son didn't have a girlfriend, and was actually in the dating scene like his father. It makes way more situations for comedy. Or better, yet, he was divorced from a woman similar to Lilith, which would have created even more comedic situations. Because we know that since the girl is POC there can be no culture jokes.

Oh well, at least the English character seems like a comic relief.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oof.

Based on that trailer I'd rather just rewatch original show instead.
That's the answer to almost every question.

About anything.

"How to solve global warming?"

"Just watch Frasier"

And I would add, any question not answered with "Just watch Frasier" is answered with "Just watch Firefly" or "Just watch The Wire".

Last edited:

Trilobit

Reviews seem to be fairly mixed on this one. Apparently Frasier himself works but everything else doesn't.

From a quick glance at the trailer I feel like Frasier is still a wonderful character, but the support cast seems to be from a generic sitcom. I wish they would have been braver with the casting choices.

Neff

Watched the first couple of episodes and I enjoyed it. The cast is good and the script has a comfy, old-fashioned structure to it. You can see the DNA of the old show being reshuffled into new characters and setups and for the most part it works. Niles and Daphne's son is the weakest link by far, but it's fair to say they aren't doing much with him yet. Overall a decent start with potential.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The Guardian review makes me hopeful that the series will get better.

"All this setup work means that there is little of the original show’s fine-grained beauty. It deals in broad strokes, and the jokes are not the filigree work its fans have ever worshipped (“Have you considered,” says Alan, for example, when Frasier bemoans Freddy’s unwillingness to engage with him, “that he hates you?”). Grammer plays his man as perfectly and with as light a touch as ever, moving seamlessly into emotional scenes from comic ones and out again, but the rest of the cast (without Grammer’s decades in the Frasier business to draw on) aren’t quite there yet.

Nor are they in the next couple of episodes, and the heart does begin to quail. But … but they are better. The jokes are subtler, the relationships – especially the hate-hate one between Olivia and the albatross Alan around her ambitious neck – are growing. Actors are relaxing. Confidence is growing. And then, suddenly, by the fourth episode, the chemistry, the ineffable magic, the ease, the unbottleable perfect combination of them all is there. Although Martin would be ashamed of me, the joy of the realisation – almost the greater for having watched it evolve in front of me – almost brings a tear to the eye."

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

So just realized it's out. Got the first two watched and I love it. The first episode was a bit slow to start but obviously they had to set up the state of Frasier's world since last we saw him. By the end of the episode I was getting some good laughs. The second episode really was funny. I kept laughing a lot. I had my doubts but based off these two episodes I think it may just surprisingly pull off living up to both Cheers and Frasier that came before it. Freddy is coming into his own. You can tell he is certainly the every man like his grandpa was and that of course plays well with Fraiser's personality.

Needless to say I can't wait to see more episodes when they come out.

So it appears all the leaks and older rumors were true. That the son would be like the grandpa, etc.

I find the new show intriguing. Frasier and Seinfeld are my top two comedies, I have ever enjoyed.

Since, those rumors seem to be true, I do wonder if the other rumors will turn out to be true as well. Frasier creating a podcast with Roz, etc.

This show could be cancelled after one season, or maybe just maybe, it will have some legs.

Those old rumors do seem accurate now though. So it will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Last edited:

Ownage

I liked the first two episodes a lot. The only character I'd get rid of is the baby mama.

Toss ya salad and scramble ya eggs, yo.

Rran

Watched the pilot today and it was pretty good actually. I'm not sold on the David character yet (feels like a pale imitation of Niles) but I can see everyone else developing into a solid core cast. Frasier himself is handled and performed particularly well.

CGNoire

Suprisingly ok so far for a Pilot where everyone but Kelsey is green. Honestly Im caustiously optimistic right now. We will see.

Neff

Suprisingly ok so far for a Pilot where everyone but Kelsey is green. Honestly Im caustiously optimistic right now. We will see.

Nicholas Lyndhurst is basically sitcom royalty here in the UK and knows his craft well, so much so that Grammer insisted on incorporating him into the show.

Bridges

I'm happy so see the takes here aren't completely negative. I think I may wait until more of the season is out before buying another month of Paramount+ and giving it a go, but I'm crossing my fingers they can recapture some of that magic

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hard pass, not for me.

Original was such a great show. TV sitcom writers really have hit rock bottom in terms of new ideas.

A few outlets have seen most of the first season. I think one said 7 out of 10 episodes. They said a particular episode has the “old Frasier Magic”.

I’m not sure if it had a guest star or not.

So it is promising, hopefully the first season picks up as we go.

Last edited:

AgatonSax

I think original Frasier has the most perfect pilot episode of any comedy series. The theme, the writing, the performances are spot on. Everybody seems like they have been playing those characters for years.

I haven’t seen the new episodes yet but if Grammer still works then the show will work. I think it needs to find its footing without cameos though.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Watched the first 3 episodes today, agree with some here by saying they were great but not fantastic. Some of the jokes are hitting exactly the same, but some of the supporting cast haven’t hit their stride yet. Fraiser however is perfect as always. Can’t wait for the next episode.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Frasier is a show that I only ever saw on occasion and always enjoyed, so yesterday, I started watching the first season on Hulu.
Maybe it's because I'm older now and it's more relevant to me, or maybe it's that most shows are junk now, but I freaking loved it. I laughed out loud a few times - which I almost never do.
So glad I now have a show to watch.

Rran

The past couple episodes have been a little stronger. Hoping the show continues to improve because there were some big laughs tonight.
Frasier is a show that I only ever saw on occasion and always enjoyed, so yesterday, I started watching the first season on Hulu.
Maybe it's because I'm older now and it's more relevant to me, or maybe it's that most shows are junk now, but I freaking loved it. I laughed out loud a few times - which I almost never do.
So glad I now have a show to watch.
Enjoy! It's outstanding for about 7 years.

RavageX

Well im glad to hear its seems to be not rubbish. I still wont watch but heres hoping it does a couple of strong seasons at least.

Its getting better, the only issue is that the supporting cast act like it is an episode of big bang. I dont know if that is deliberate but it isn't frasier.
David, the neighbour and the headmistress are at or below the quality of bulldog, the food critic and the trekkie in their writing and performance. They just aren't serious enough to be believable. And we only have alan and the son to make up for niles,rosss, daphne and the father.
The latest episode was the best because it was classic frasier circumstances and it was mostly fraser and his son. But similar episodes in the original run are on another level.
Hopefully they can sort this out in future seasons.

I'll say overall I like it - Niles' son is a poor attempt at replacing his character and/or blending Niles/Daphne. Neither were that aloof, stupid, and just irritating. Frederick works as a replacement to Martin, but would be better with a bit more crassness to show how much his personality was influenced by him.

Bridges

Great to see Roz. Make her a ft character again.
There are several interviews floating around where she talks about the experience coming back and says she would say yes if she was asked to come back as a main cast member.

Overall I was surprised how much I liked the new season, but it's definitely missing something. With Kelsey Grammar it feels like he never left, he does a fantastic job reprising the role. The rest of the characters are definitely a downgrade from the old cast though. Very tough act to follow, but I think bringing Roz back would shoot a lot of needed life into the show.

I hope they renew for a second season.

Ownage

There are several interviews floating around where she talks about the experience coming back and says she would say yes if she was asked to come back as a main cast member.

Overall I was surprised how much I liked the new season, but it's definitely missing something. With Kelsey Grammar it feels like he never left, he does a fantastic job reprising the role. The rest of the characters are definitely a downgrade from the old cast though. Very tough act to follow, but I think bringing Roz back would shoot a lot of needed life into the show.

I hope they renew for a second season.
Roz as his assistant? Easy fix.

Rran

Pretty good season. Had moments that were pure Frasier and were awesome, but the writing is overall shakier than before. I'd be happy to see more but I'm hoping they iron out some of the issues.
Roz as his assistant? Easy fix.
They'd have to explain her going from being the station manager of KACL in Seattle to moving herself and Alice across the country in order to be a teaching assistant for his old boss.

Pretty good season. Had moments that were pure Frasier and were awesome, but the writing is overall shakier than before. I'd be happy to see more but I'm hoping they iron out some of the issues.

They'd have to explain her going from being the station manager of KACL in Seattle to moving herself and Alice across the country in order to be a teaching assistant for his old boss.
I think the first season was “ok”. It had a few moments of brilliance. But more were not good. Frasier’s son and Allan are potential gold. The rest need work.

If Roz is coming back, and i am all for it. Then make her and Frasier create a podcast similar to Joe Rogan. But, let Frasier deal with college kids. Frasier the character is at his best when he is a “dancing bear” and having love or work issues. This would allow for both.

Bridges

Friends and the Big Bang Theory are better than Frasier...and it's not even close.
giphy.webp

Friends and the Big Bang Theory are better than Frasier...and it's not even close.

Seinfeld was super innovative when it came out but I don't think it's aged that well. Curb is funnier.
I have to disagree. Frasier and Seinfeld are the top. Both did fall off in later seasons. I’m not judging the Simpson because it is too difficult with that many seasons.

Curb is uncomfortably funny. Big bang is very good, but I actually thought the best post 2000 comedies were Charlie sheens Two and a half men, and Superstore.

E-Cat

Friends and BBT are like at the opposite end of the IQ spectrum vs Frasier. If you like the former shows better, perhaps that says something about you.

Not sure why i thought about it, but after reading everyone’s comments.

The Frasier reboot seems to push the Chicago idea in the beginning and now runs from it and never mentions it. They also act like his Seattle friends and family are close and nothing has changed in 20 years. Which is a mistake, imo.

A thought of how to integrate Roz and Lilith, is have Roz’s daughter move to Boston for some reason. Have her be Freddy’s love interest. Assuming Eve is not the love interest. Which seems to be the intent in the beginning but, i am not sure they can do that now in today’s climate. If so, it would allow Roz’s daughter and Freddy to be the “Niles and Daphne“ of the show. It would allow Frasier and Roz to agree/disagree on a different level. Same with Lilith. It would create a triangle of interference from the older parents.

Another thought about this show, is I believe it needs a bigger cast. Where you don’t see all the characters every episode. All existing characters would be in several episodes annually at least. It would allow Frasier to not focus on Seattle so much and talk about Martin. He needs to cultivate a larger set of characters like Cheers had. It would differentiate Frasier (original) from the Frasier (reboot).

Speaking of Cheers, he also must return to Cheers at some point. Maybe it no longer exists and is a Chili’s now or something. But, he needs to return.

Marvel14

Banned
Friends and BBT are like at the opposite end of the IQ spectrum vs Frasier. If you like the former shows better, perhaps that says something about you.
For God's sake it's just show preferences not " how my tastes make me smarter than you"...grow up.

Marvel14

Banned
Shut

The

Fuck

Up

(said with love of course
No. Take it like a man.
No disrespect, but yikes on bikes dude! Big Bang Theory?!?!?! I can't think of a less funny show except maybe Schitt's Creek.
I can Frasier and Seinfeld. Neither has aged that well
As someone who has always hated Friends, and sees BBT as a stupid show....I might have to punch you if we ever met.
Uh huh....differing preferences so outrage you they incite you to violence. I'm going to guess: Gen Z?
I have to disagree. Frasier and Seinfeld are the top. Both did fall off in later seasons. I’m not judging the Simpson because it is too difficult with that many seasons.

Curb is uncomfortably funny. Big bang is very good, but I actually thought the best post 2000 comedies were Charlie sheens Two and a half men, and Superstore.
Neither Frasier nor Seinfeld are that rewatchable. I've tried. The Office, South Park, the Simpsons, first few seasons of Modern Family, Friends and BBT all superior...

Last edited:

RavageX

No. Take it like a man.

Uh huh....differing preferences so outrage you they incite you to violence. I'm going to guess: Gen Z?

Neither Frasier nor Seinfeld are that rewatchable. I've tried. The Office, South Park, the Simpsons, first few seasons of Modern Family, Friends and BBT all superior...

Before that if I have my Gens correct. Which may be equal to old man yelling at clouds at this point.

No. Take it like a man.

Personally, i find Frasier more rewatchable than Friends, or Modern Family. The Office is not rewatchable at all, imo. In some ways I find Parks and Rec better than the Office. Which i know is crazy to many people.

But to each their own. As I said above, I find Superstore the most rewatchable of the post 2000 comedies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom