• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Visual Studio from MS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaaa0

retardboy

Bleh... Express stuff...

Anyways... IF ITS SO FREAKEN EASY TO MAKE TABBED BROWSING, WHY DONT YOU DO IT IN YOUR OWN DANG PRODUCT MS? HUH HUH HUH? =(

aaaaa0

retardboy said:
Bleh... Express stuff...

"free student version"

Anyway, they're fine if you're just starting out.

If you're serious though, yeah, they're no good.

retardboy said:
Anyways... IF ITS SO FREAKEN EASY TO MAKE TABBED BROWSING, WHY DONT YOU DO IT IN YOUR OWN DANG PRODUCT MS? HUH HUH HUH? =(

har har har.

maharg

idspispopd
I've known about this for a month or more now, and have suggested it to people asking questions about this sort of stuff when appropriate.

It's important to note that the VC++ Express does not include windows headers and so, while it has a target for normal win32 apps, it will not build them out of the box. You need to download and install the Platform SDK (which has always been free) and point Express at it.

It does include the standard C and C++ libraries though, unlike the previous free compiler released in the .net sdk. Also unlike that previous release, I believe this one does full optimization.

The question is, though, what kind of restrictions the final version will have in its license. Ie, whether you will be able to release and/or sell software developed with it. They don't seem to be aiming this as an education-only thing (they've had student/educational editions of VC for a long time, and I don't think they intend to stop), so hopefuly it won't be too restrictive. The beta is testing only though.

Edit: oh, and why is it that when MS makes their browser modular enough that you can do pretty much anything with its components, including make it tabbed, it's not good enough, but apparently THE best thing about mozilla or firefox is the ability to extend it, and in firefox' case, specifically the bare bones nature of it? :p

marsomega

At Florida Internation University we get the full versions for free. However, you must be fully admitted in the School of Computer Science taking upper level courses. Computer Engineers get it when they start taking Softwarte Engineering, Data Structures etc.... (data structures, shiver). You get your certificate of ownership and everything for what ever you want. (Including commercial use). You have to bring your own cdr's for the iso's and download through the AUL Labs (restrictive access) from what looks to me, an exclusive Microsoft server.

I don't know the setup but I know its a partnership program with Microsoft.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
meh, my uni has some sort of deal with MS to get full versions of their development software for free.

Oh yeah... when did smilies make a return to this forum?

edit: what I mean by that is, when were they added to the interface you get when making a post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom