• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free "Wired" subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

A word of warning: half these 'free' magazine subscriptions are rip offs. As soon as they get your address, you'll be getting a bill.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mason said:
A word of warning: half these 'free' magazine subscriptions are rip offs. As soon as they get your address, you'll be getting a bill.

Then explain why I haven't gotten any bills for the 15+ free magazine subscriptions that my household has signed up for

Guzim

Gigabyte! Hahaha! They've done it again. Gigabyte. Wait, this isn't "Weird"! Why, there's no magazine called "Weird", is there?

Justin Bailey

------ ------
tanks.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Mason said:
Why don't you explain why I have.

I have free subscriptions to EGM, Gamepro, PSM, PC Gamer, and XBN. I have never gotten a bill for past issues. The most that has ever happened is that they asked if I wanted to continue getting the magazine after the trial was over. Where did you order from?

Chrono

Banned
how do you find these free subscriptions? :p

Also, has anybody got the "exclusive Unwired Guide" from wired? They're offering this everything-wi-fi-guide if you subscribe for a year or two. It's a pretty cheap subscription (10 dollars for a year) so I'm looking into it but I want to know how good this wi-fi guide is. Does it contain a lot of information like a book or just mini-summaries for 20 pages?

edit: bleh I registered for the free one. Thanks. :)

Mason

Grizzlyjin said:
I have free subscriptions to EGM, Gamepro, PSM, PC Gamer, and XBN. I have never gotten a bill for past issues. The most that has ever happened is that they asked if I wanted to continue getting the magazine after the trial was over. Where did you order from?

Just these random threads on GAF and Anandtech. I dealt with it and didn't pay. But still.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Mason said:
Why don't you explain why I have.

Just because you got a bill doesn't mean you have to pay. I've got about 15 mags coming myself, I only pay the electricity, phone, satellite bill. F paying for mags, they can beg all they want.

There are re-sellers that try to get you to pay for subs at a reduced rate and make these mailings look like bills. They aren't, and judging by your post, you know that. Otherwise you would have paid.

Nothing's truly free, but these magazines are about as close as you can come. Just don't mind the junk mail filling up the garbage.

Meier

I've never paid from them. My Sporting News trial was ending and they called me up and offered some deal on renewing and I said thanks but no thanks and that was that.

In this case, thanks to Wario64 -- always wanted a Wired subscription. :D

DJ_Tet

Banned
Oh yeah, one more bit of "obvious" info that may need to be spelled out. Don't give these companies your real phone number. They don't NEED the phone number to send you the mags, don't give it to them. I've got a "fake" that I give out at every opportunity.

If a company needs to send you something by mail (i.e. free mags, free samples), give them your address. They don't need your phone number on top of that. You're only asking for harrassment. I think you should protect your phone number much more securely than your address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom