• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Yahoo Email storage upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGamer

Huh? Was my head in the sand, or is this actually a surprise? I go to log in one of my yahoo email accounts, and i get a splash screen telling me the account now has 100MB of storage space. Sorry for the shitty compression.

yahooemail2.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wow, I had paid like 20 bucks for 25MB of storage and that got bumped up to 2GB for free.

OmniGamer

tracky_dacks said:
10 megs methinks. Haven't used my Yahoo email account in ages, might go reactivate it.

Well, for older accounts, it was 6MB(my first account was 6MB), but newer ones were only 4MB. I had 1 6MB account and 2 4MB accounts...the 6MB and the older 4MB accounts are now 100MB accounts. My newest 4MB account is still 4MB at the moment, but it looks like it's being upgraded currently(graphical changes...problems accessing the account). So i'll have to wait and see.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Yup. There was a brief buggy period earlier this morning, but it all seems to have gone through now. Maximum attachment size has also been upped to 10MB, IIRC.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I've got it, still probably wont use it much unless they make it IMAP, which they wont.

Tritroid

Yeah this is great. I've been around 95% in the red of using up my 6 megs for almost 2 years. :p

Now my usage bar is down to 7%. I doubt I'll ever have to clean out my inbox again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why don't people get an ISP address, set it up with their home machine, and configure it to delete the mail from the server every time you download? Most ISP addresses can also be alternately accessed through a webpage, so you still have the freedom of accessing anywhere. Thus, you are only limited by your hd capacity. Or are ISP addresses not as generally available as I think?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Now if they could just improve their spam filters.... Hmm I take that back the spam filter does seem to be running better.

8bit

Knows the Score
Does Yahoo thread your conversations now or has it added anything else in answer to gmail?

OmniGamer said:
Well, for older accounts, it was 6MB(my first account was 6MB), but newer ones were only 4MB. I had 1 6MB account and 2 4MB accounts...the 6MB and the older 4MB accounts are now 100MB accounts. My newest 4MB account is still 4MB at the moment, but it looks like it's being upgraded currently(graphical changes...problems accessing the account). So i'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the correction.
Went to reactivate my email account -- 856 unread messages; 7% of 100MB. Hehe, woo!

Meier

I was one of the early Yahoo subscribers so I've had 6 megs of space always.. but I only got upgrade to 100 megs as well. I feel cheated! :(

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dice said:
Yeah I've got it, still probably wont use it much unless they make it IMAP, which they wont.

yahoopops is your friend. :)

.. is yahoo down? i cant seem to access the site.. hmm.. maybe my work blocked the address. :(

DarienA

Yahoo needs and auto filter button like ureach has... open an email see that you want to filter it you have to go back into the options menu, etc... in ureach you simply click on the autofilter button while looking at the specific email and it asks you what folder you want to forward the email to.. and it's done.

DaveH

Log in twice... first time I logged in this morning I got the prompt. Second time I got the upgrade.

btw, you know how every now and then a forum registration or webform says something like, "Free email accounts will not work." does this mean that yahoo/hotmail/etc. are completely filtered out even if you have a paid for yahoo account? Or can those forms distinguish between a free and paid for yahoo account?

I've been thinking of paying for a yahoo account simply because I've been pleased with their service... but the idea that it won't work for some things is the only thing that's stopping me.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
strange.. i have three yahoo accounts.. my junk ones were upgraded.. and my main one was not. i logged in several times.. never even got a prompt.. im hoping its just a glitch . :/

..glitch. i worry no reason..

Phoenix

gofreak said:
Why don't people get an ISP address, set it up with their home machine, and configure it to delete the mail from the server every time you download? Most ISP addresses can also be alternately accessed through a webpage, so you still have the freedom of accessing anywhere. Thus, you are only limited by your hd capacity. Or are ISP addresses not as generally available as I think?

Because that is a considerable amount of work compared to just grabbing the email from the web page :)

I wonder how much longer until Hotmail is forced to increase their free storage... I really hope it's soon, cause I still prefer using Hotmail because I always have MSN Messenger open.

draven

DaveH said:
Log in twice... first time I logged in this morning I got the prompt. Second time I got the upgrade.

btw, you know how every now and then a forum registration or webform says something like, "Free email accounts will not work." does this mean that yahoo/hotmail/etc. are completely filtered out even if you have a paid for yahoo account? Or can those forms distinguish between a free and paid for yahoo account?

I've been thinking of paying for a yahoo account simply because I've been pleased with their service... but the idea that it won't work for some things is the only thing that's stopping me.

I have a paid Yahoo account and was not able to use it for registration for GAF. However, one of the nice features of the yahoo plus service is the ability to be able to get messages and send messages to/from other e-mail addresses you have access to. So, I use my old school address and had the registration e-mail sent there.

Awesome. From my old 56% of 6MB down to 3% of 100. Gotta thank Google again for greatly improving various aspects of the internet.

Got an e-mail about it. They told me I had 100 MBs of space and up to 10 MBs per message.

but when I logged in they told me that I was getting more since I was a DSL subscriber with their 25MB mail plan (which was free too). I'm at 2 GBs now heh.

Rorschach

Heh, this is great. I hadn't checked my yahoo email in a while. Expected a "You've exceded your limit" message, but got this instead. Only using 1%. :]

DarienA

For those of you who use free yahoo I have a question about reading pop email from another account.

I currently have a pay account that is about 25MB... I have alot of filters in place that drop new email into the appropriate folders. This provider also gives me pop access so that I could if necessary read email from somewhere else. But I've never had a reason to because of teh storage size.

Now my yahoo is 4x as large as my ureach account and I'd like to use it to read my ureach mail. My question is will yahoo pull new mail that has even been sorted and placed into other folders? Not only that if I create filters at yahoo will it move pop read mail to yahoo's folders?

Thanks.

Yeah, this was a nice little surpise when I logged on this morning. Ive always liked yahoo email, this was an nice little extra edition!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just got this email too, more space with my SBCglobal email account. I don't really need the extra space but it's good to know they upgraded it

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
DarienA said:
For those of you who use free yahoo I have a question about reading pop email from another account.

I currently have a pay account that is about 25MB... I have alot of filters in place that drop new email into the appropriate folders. This provider also gives me pop access so that I could if necessary read email from somewhere else. But I've never had a reason to because of teh storage size.

Now my yahoo is 4x as large as my ureach account and I'd like to use it to read my ureach mail. My question is will yahoo pull new mail that has even been sorted and placed into other folders? Not only that if I create filters at yahoo will it move pop read mail to yahoo's folders?

Thanks.

I'll tell you what Yahoo can do and you figure out the rest. If in your pay account you have an option to "leave messages on server" then when you check email in that account, those emails will get downloaded, sorted in their appropriate folders, and then a copy will be kept on the server in case you want to download it onto another email program (e.g. Yahoo or Outlook). Now in Yahoo, you have to enter the POP info and also select "leave copy of messages on server" unless you just want to bypass the other email service and use solely Yahoo (which I recommend).

A copy will be kept on the server of every mail you receive (remember to clean it out when you reach your limit) and both mail programs will only download the emails it hasn't downloaded before so the new ones basically. Therefore, since Yahoo will pull down the emails it hasn't before, it will sort them in folders as you specify. Yahoo is the shizz'.

Kuramu

sure is nice to go from 67% to 7%. However, anyone else having a hard time getting in now? i had to switch to my other email because it's sometimes impossible to get in, and if i can get in, it's 10x slower than usual

Bebpo

Banned
As someone who uses Yahoo mail as there main account I gotta say I am very happy ^__^

Screw the 100 megs of space, having 10 meg attachment limit means I can actually send files through e-mail when I need to and recieve them also, which is good :)

Shouta

Been using Yahoo for years now (what maybe 6?) I'm really glad they finally upgraded the storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom