• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars Remastered announced. Launching 1/10/25

Topher

Gold Member
PlayStation Vita lost another exclusive?

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

bender

What time is it?
How does this get a remaster before actually good Vita games like Soul Sacrifice or Killzone: Mercenary?

--Please tell us why you decided to revive FREEDOM WARS after 10 years.
Tsukamoto: I've wanted to make a sequel since it was released 10 years ago, but the opportunity never came. This time, we were blessed with the opportunity to develop it and have Bandai Namco Entertainment produce it, and since it was also the turning point of the 10th anniversary, we decided to do it at this timing.
-- The original version was released by Sony Computer Entertainment (now Sony Interactive Entertainment/SIE), but how did it come to be released by Bandai Namco Entertainment this time?
Tsukamoto: After receiving the license from SIE, we decided to create a remastered version, and while we were looking for a publisher, Bandai Namco Entertainment raised their hand.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
You've got to like the usual post apocalyptic setting Japanese are known for using all the fucking time. Just as exciting as a sewer level to me, but for each is own!

--Please tell us why you decided to revive FREEDOM WARS after 10 years.
Tsukamoto: I've wanted to make a sequel since it was released 10 years ago, but the opportunity never came. This time, we were blessed with the opportunity to develop it and have Bandai Namco Entertainment produce it, and since it was also the turning point of the 10th anniversary, we decided to do it at this timing.
-- The original version was released by Sony Computer Entertainment (now Sony Interactive Entertainment/SIE), but how did it come to be released by Bandai Namco Entertainment this time?
Tsukamoto: After receiving the license from SIE, we decided to create a remastered version, and while we were looking for a publisher, Bandai Namco Entertainment raised their hand.
Ah, it's Bamco and not Sony.

Soul Sacrifice was great but so was Freedom Wars.
Eh, the only thing I liked about Freedom Wars was being able to make a custom waifu. And even then they took out the best part, the custom voice lines, for releases outside of Japan. Gameplay-wise, I'd rather play God Eater.

GHound

Huh. Bandai will do what PlayStation't. Should've begged Bandai for help convincing Sony to license Wild Arms or something Kaneko Akifumi.
Maybe we get a Vanillaware developed remake of The Legend of Dragoon published by Koei Tecmo.

Pandora's box has been opened.

Last edited:

CamHostage

WHAT?!?!
(X2)

Of all games on the platform i thought i would never see again aside from my copy and emu, this is one Vita game i never thought would find a second life, especially with Sony closing JS. Cool of Sony to let Namco take over the license, i hope it works out for them and I would be quite happy if other Vita SIE games could somehow follow.

...Truth be told, I don't love Freedom Wars, but I was late to it and never really figured out its deeper mechanics. I did really like having a game with heavy use of a Grappling Hook; every game could be made more fun with an added Grappling Hook.

Pejo

Isn't this the game where you are earning time off your prison sentence, and you start with a sentence of 1000 years or something?
Yep. Other than some Vita level jankyness and too few enemy types, I thought the gameplay was really fun, targeting specific pieces of the enemies and saving captured characters.

IGN put a preview up of the remastered version, comparing it to the original:

at this rate the system will die for sure :(

I already see PS as a dead duck. Of all the PSs I had owned (1-5), this system gets the least playtime due to lack of exclusives.

bruce willis i see dead people GIF

I had always had a PC system since my late dad bought me a Pentium II in 1999. But I used to play hours mainly on console due to those stellar PS exclusives. It's silly how the tide has turned due to incompetency of those big dudes in suits at Sony.

Last edited:

nial

It totally was published by Sony back in the day, it looks like they bought the IP from Sony, since clearly Sony wasn't planning on doing anything with it.

Also, Steam page is up.
©2025 Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. and Dimps Corporation. FREEDOM WARS is a registered trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC and related companies in the United States and other countries.
Published by Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.
SIEI is still in the product copyright, while SIE LLC still owns the English trademark.
SIE has actually allowed stuff like this in the past, as seen with Journey, Hohokum, etc.
The only actual news is the fact that anything Freedom Wars (reboot/remake/sequel) outside of this remaster is now 100% off the cards. ☹️

Last edited:

Pejo

SIEI is still in the product copyright, while SIE LLC still owns the English trademark.
SIE has actually allowed stuff like this in the past, as seen with Journey, Hohokum, etc.
The only actual news is the fact that anything Freedom Wars (reboot/remake/sequel) outside of this remaster is now 100% off the cards. ☹️
Weird because this was in the interview with the director:

The original version was released by Sony Computer Entertainment (now Sony Interactive Entertainment/SIE), but how did it come to be released by Bandai Namco Entertainment this time?

nial

Weird because this was in the interview with the director:
Yes, they got a license, which is different from actual IP ownership.
The fact that SIEI does own some shares on Dimps most likely made this an easy licensing deal, but nothing suggests that they gave up the IP (corporations rarely do that, btw, even if they have no plans wirh it).

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is cool. I'd always been interested in playing the game, but I never actually wanted to hunker down and play it on the Vita. I think that for me, this just leaves Soul Sacrifice Delta, Tales of Graces, and DJ Max Technika on the Vita for me... beyond those, I have no reason to ever use the thing again.

How does this get a remaster before actually good Vita games like Soul Sacrifice or Killzone: Mercenary?
Yeah, Freedom Wars was nothing special. Soul Sacrifice on the other hand did some interesting things and did not feel like a game trying to ride on MH's coat tails. It would have been great if Monster Hunter Generations got a Vita port with proper dual stick controls (especially for LBG and HBG, R to ADS and X to fire is just not doable).

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Yes, they got a license, which is different from actual IP ownership.
The fact that SIEI does own some shares on Dimps most likely made this an easy licensing deal, but nothing suggests that they gave up the IP (corporations rarely do that, btw, even if they have no plans wirh it).
You're correct. I just checked on Justia and SIE is still listed as the owner of the Freedom Wars IP (they even renewed the trademark a couple of years ago) - https://trademarks.justia.com/862/50/freedom-86250457.html

Top Bottom