• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freespace 2 runs like ass on my PC...

ElyrionX

Yeah, so I just reinstalled Freespace 2 on my new rig hoping to finally play through and complete it. Everytime I start the game, I get good performance at the highest graphics settings. However, as time goes by, my frame rate drops and drops till it hits rockbottom and renders the game unplayable. Anyone know how to fix this? My system specs are as follows:

P4 3.0E Ghz on ASUS P4P800E Deluxe
Corsair PC3200 2x 512MB DDR SDRAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
Western Digital 120GB PATA HDD
TDK 12X DVD Rewritable

As can been seen, my sytem should be able to run Freespace 2 on the highest settings at an insane framerate. However that is so totally not the case. Anyone can help me out here?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That sounds like a memory leak, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it AFAIK. Best to let the developers know, and hope that they patch it.

ElyrionX

Yeah, a memory leak is what I suspected too. Anyhow, I assume you said what you said because you don't have any idea what Freespace 2 is. Well, Freespace 2 was released waaaay back in 1999. And Interplay published it..............

I've already downloaded and installed the latest patch but to no avail......

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hehe, I wasn't aware of the history ;) Poor interplay..

Have you looked around any freespace forums, to see if this is a common issue? If it is a memory leak, a lot of people should probably be having the same problem. There might be fixes from the community out there.

ElyrionX

Yeah I've tried running several searches on google but to no avail. I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling without the patch.....

Crispy

ElyrionX said:
Yeah I've tried running several searches on google but to no avail. I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling without the patch.....

I remeber playing this game perfectly for hours on end, I don't think I ever patched it, so running it without the patch seems like a good thing to try.

ElyrionX

Goddamn it still doesn't work. I tried running at a lower resolution too and it doesn't work. I can't play the game this way. Damn......

ElyrionX

YEEES!! I fixed it. Had to change the sound driver from A3D to DirectSound and I've been playing it perfectly just now..........

Top Bottom