• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fuck my school's network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

They blocked p2p/BitTorrent last September.. and the other day my IRC randomly stopped working and hasnt worked since. I've had IRC open while on the computer constantly for the past 4 or 5 years now. I'm bored as all fuck without it and now I wont even get to idle on it when I go into work. This sucks.

Matlock

Banned
Meier said:
They blocked p2p/BitTorrent last September.. and the other day my IRC randomly stopped working and hasnt worked since. I've had IRC open while on the computer constantly for the past 4 or 5 years now. I'm bored as all fuck without it and now I wont even get to idle on it when I go into work. This sucks.

Amen brother!

border

My campus started blocking out internet multiplayer games the very same month I got a decent gaming PC. I can still do BitTorrent and newsgroups and stuff though. What sucks is that they blocked the ports to prevent piracy, but it seems like all they do is prevent me from connecting to game servers....

Will SSH tunnelling work for games? If so, is there an FAQ?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Celicar said:
LOL!!

I thought you were a social outcast! Why would you want to share a room with another human being?!
Ever heard of single-person rooms?

Dorm living is cheaper, and it's a much better social environment than apartment living. I don't know if I would go back, though.

Shompola

Banned
border said:
My campus started blocking out internet multiplayer games the very same month I got a decent gaming PC. I can still do BitTorrent and newsgroups and stuff though. What sucks is that they blocked the ports to prevent piracy, but it seems like all they do is prevent me from connecting to game servers....

Will SSH tunnelling work for games? If so, is there an FAQ?

I have never ssh tunnleed anything. But I can't see why it shouldn't work as long as you can ssh to a server in your school network.

edit/ nevermind about if you can ssh to school or not.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hitokage said:
SSH Tunneling is your savior.

I was going to suggest the same thing, as it saved my ass a bunch of times when my school put up a rather draconian firewall.

(In their defense, at the time file-sharing was rampant, both through Windows shares being tunneled through the Internet (remember that?), and Napster.)

But he'd need a shell or something to log into, wouldn't he?

border

How does SSH work? I need to connect to another computer that's outside the school network, right? Not sure if I can come up with that...

Meier

Yes, I'm a senior. Yes, I still live on campus. I work in the Student Life Center and parking here is absolutely awful due to there only being 2 parking garages on campus and over 40,000 students. They're also moving towards making it the type of campus where they try and encourage as much walking as possible for "beautification", so parking is basically non-existant. It's not worth the hassle of having to deal with parking for class or work so I just walk here.

Celicar

Banned
Well I live just a block away from campus, right behind Burger King, so walking isn't a problem for me.

And my internet rocks!

ZombieSupaStar said:
freeloading off your parents rocks while going to college :D

Hell yeah it does! The only thing I pay for is GAS. Apartment, bills, clothes, food, tuition, books, etc.. all paid for.

Handicap parking also comes in very handy for school.

Heeehaaaaa.

Meier

Celicar said:
Well I live just a block away from campus, right behind Burger King, so walking isn't a problem for me.

Assuming this is who I think it is -- I am in Rogers which is right across from BK.

Matlock

Banned
Here's the official word from the school about this:

"Question:
Why Don't file sharing softwares such as irc, kazaa and gnutella work on the kent servers anymore? Why is other file sharing so slow?

Answer:
When we had problem with network speed a while back, Network Services found it is due to the fact that filesharing software are taking up most of the bandwidth to cause the entire campus network slow down (sometimes ONE user can use MORE THAN 50% of the total bandidth). So, Network Services has implemented a software to limit file sharing priority. IRC has been completely blocked due to the security risks. "

xsarien

daedsiluap
Matlock said:
Here's the official word from the school about this:

"Question:
Why Don't file sharing softwares such as irc, kazaa and gnutella work on the kent servers anymore? Why is other file sharing so slow?

Answer:
When we had problem with network speed a while back, Network Services found it is due to the fact that filesharing software are taking up most of the bandwidth to cause the entire campus network slow down (sometimes ONE user can use MORE THAN 50% of the total bandidth). So, Network Services has implemented a software to limit file sharing priority. IRC has been completely blocked due to the security risks. "

If it's your typical IT department, they probably just blocked off port 6667 because they don't know any better.

I'd stay away from trying to bypass anything the school does to its network. They'll find you, and you could be expelled or have your computer privileges revoked.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
enjoy bell woods said:
I'd stay away from trying to bypass anything the school does to its network. They'll find you, and you could be expelled or have your computer privileges revoked.

i say its worth the risk to have irc back!

alejob

Meier said:

So you've been in school for atleast 5 years and have atleast one more to go. Hehe, having a tough time;)
Unless your getting your masters or something. Just messing with ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom