• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funimation to License Naruto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

FUNimation answers Naruto license question
Reported by: Adam on Thursday, July 22nd, 2004 at 12:13AM

I came across this somewhat interesting piece of information on Saiyanz Rage. On AdultSwim.com a FUNimation representative has been answering questions relating to the FUNimation company that are frequently asked by fans. One intelligent lad/lady posed this question: Is FUNimation going to dub Naruto?, to which the FUNimation representative replied:

Nothing "official" has been announced by any company. From what I have read of the manga, this is a great series but wait for some type of official announcement before you get your hopes up for broadcast. Basically, "Fight Club." I won't rant too much about this statement, but I don't know if they really believe people would be hoping for a dubbed broadcast any time soon. Over the next couple of weeks, many companies are expected to announce new titles. It will be interesting to see just what is done. We can only pray Naruto is not licensed soon.
Also the rumor that 4kids entertainmen (pokémon) Licensing naruto was reported fake.

but I always wondered what entertainment house has enough money to license naruto in america let alone japan?

let's just hope nothing happens.

AniHawk

end.jpg

Belfast

bjork said:
I hope someone gets it and commits a sin worse than Sanji's candy cane.

:(

me too :(

Also, if 4kids can afford to license OP, I'm SURE there's a production house able to license Naruto. :p

tenchir

If Naruto is going to get licensed, I don't think it will end up on TV at all but on DVD instead. If you think about it, it's about kids kicking each others asses and sometime getting killed(Haku and the sound nins for example). How the hell would they handle the scene with Sakura versus the sound nin? That scene was pretty violent for a kids cartoon(remember Sakura getting pummeled as she bites on the arm of one of the sound nins?).

This is quite different than other animes like DBZ, Trigun, Kenshin, etc... since they are mostly adults fighting, not kids. Anime with young-teens as the major characters are hardly ever violent(Pokemon, YuGiOh, etc...).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
tenchir said:
This is quite different than other animes like DBZ, Trigun, Kenshin, etc... since they are mostly adults fighting, not kids. Anime with young-teens as the major characters are hardly ever violent(Pokemon, YuGiOh, etc...).
DB/DBZ/DBGT didn't have Goku, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Pan all as little kids getting their asses kicked (and killed, for that matter)?

Naruto could easily fit on either Adult Swim or Toonami.

That said, let's hope it just doesn't get licensed.

Even though Naruto is more violent in nature than One Piece, I believe it would be a lot easer to censor for North American broadcast.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Meh, I'd hate to see that, but as long as it keeps hitting the net, it won't bother me...

Trevelyon

Yeah, even if it gets licensed some other group will sub it, hopefully for us it'll be a group that can actually sub. I'm thinking Shin may stay on, Anbu/A-one will immediately drop it, as they do with licensed stuff, & a few glory hog groups will stay on. So subbed Naruto won't be going away anytime soon.

SaitoH

I kinda hope they don't license it for another year. Let the show finish up before they decide how they are going to edit this monster. They'll have to do some seriously creative editing / cg work to air this show in North America.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Trevelyon said:
Yeah, even if it gets licensed some other group will sub it, hopefully for us it'll be a group that can actually sub. I'm thinking Shin may stay on, Anbu/A-one will immediately drop it, as they do with licensed stuff, & a few glory hog groups will stay on. So subbed Naruto won't be going away anytime soon.

That's good...

I suppose I'm too worried, though. I mean, Gungrave was licensed for the US BEFORE it even started airing in Japan, yet it was released weekly (almost). As long as Naruto keeps coming, I'll be happy. Sub or raw, I don't care...I just don't want it to stop now (as it would take YEARS to get back this point).

Belfast

dark10x said:
That's good...

I suppose I'm too worried, though. I mean, Gungrave was licensed for the US BEFORE it even started airing in Japan, yet it was released weekly (almost). As long as Naruto keeps coming, I'll be happy. Sub or raw, I don't care...I just don't want it to stop now (as it would take YEARS to get back this point).

Yes, welcome to being a One Piece fan. :p Do you have any idea how long it would take to get to 200+ episodes (well, it'll be over 200 by the time they start showing it on FOX).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Trevelyon said:
ANBU yes, AonE no. :p

neptunes

the creator stated in the last manga that he's taking a week's break to gather "information" or in other words, ideas.

Trevelyon said:
because the 'good' groups only break international laws...

Mugen

Banned
Aone already said a long time ago that they won't drop Naruto... but that was a long time ago though... so I dunno. Or maybe Anbu/AonE will make a shadow group like Spoon.

Sriram

I think the author is just taking a holiday (he works on the manga every week of the year doesnt he?) and the info gathering was just a joke (Jiraiya).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Sriram said:
I think the author is just taking a holiday (he works on the manga every week of the year doesnt he?) and the info gathering was just a joke (Jiraiya).

yes, I agree

I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of data gathering while he's on break.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I want naruto to get licenced just so I can sit back and watch stupid fanboys explode as they overreact to the licence announcement and assume it will be butchered.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't care who licenses it or how shitty of a job they do. Just bring it over ASAP so that the fighting games come over too.

bjork

I hope it doesn't for one reason:

I already get enough dumbass fanboys in here who mispronounce all of the names and wear the headbands in public, and tell me how they're going to start saving now for their Orochimaru costumes for Halloween and stuff.

If I had to deal with fanboys AND casual fans talking about it, I'd kill. "Naruto vs. Wing Gundam" was bad enough, but you know regular kids would be like "DUDE NOORAHTO KAN BEAT CELL FOR REELZ."

bjork said:
I hope it doesn't for one reason:

I already get enough dumbass fanboys in here who mispronounce all of the names and wear the headbands in public, and tell me how they're going to start saving now for their Orochimaru costumes for Halloween and stuff.

If I had to deal with fanboys AND casual fans talking about it, I'd kill. "Naruto vs. Wing Gundam" was bad enough, but you know regular kids would be like "DUDE NOORAHTO KAN BEAT CELL FOR REELZ."
yeah, it's only good cuz it's not popular...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom