• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Futurama Returning on Hulu

ManaByte

Gold Member

Nearly 10 years after it signed off, Futurama has been revived for a 20-episode run on Hulu, the third platform for the animated comedy from creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen.

“I’m thrilled to have another chance to think about the future … or really anything other than the present,” Cohen said. Added Groening: “It’s a true honor to announce the triumphant return of Futurama one more time before we get canceled abruptly again.”

20 episodes!

zoidberg GIF

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
As Disenchantment kept the Futurama feeling in medieval times, I have great expectations for this.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What

Amazing. I'm curious to see how it feels this time. The last revival was uneven, but still had a few top-notch episodes scattered here and there.

My impossible dream:
- it's sucessful
- TV execs finally kill the long-dead, long embarassing corpse that is The Simpsons
- Futurama moves back onto FOX and into the Simpsons slot

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Let us also hope that the hypnotoad mind-virus of political posturing that infected the Simpsons hasn't also destroyed the writers behind Futurama. Otherwise, this revival will only make us regret our former heroes and wish they had stayed dead.

Blade2.0

I loved the last finale. Honestly if rather they didn't bring it back. Just get me that time skip king of the hill already. That makes a lot more sense and koth didn't have a good finale.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The finale was okay, but I preferred both of its previous ones (Idle Hands, and especially Into the Wild Green Yonder). Meanwhile was, fine. They can do better.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm torn. On one hand I like the way the last run ended, but on the other hand I would love to see more.

I guess I'll just wait and see.

Banned
I'm still not sure why this got cancelled TWICE... it always seemed to be pretty popular all things considered

SiteSeer

i remember being hyped they were going to make a simpsons in space. now i've lived long enough to see it resurrected twice. lol

hoping its good.

JayK47

Sure, why not? I recently watched all seasons and pretty much every season after going to Comedy Central was not that good or funny. Like they lost the good writers once leaving Fox. You would think Comedy Central would have done better with the series. I'll keep my expectations low for Hulu.

LordCBH

The final episode was great, and they didn’t even get DiMaggio back as Bender. This is going to ruin it.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The final episode was great, and they didn’t even get DiMaggio back as Bender. This is going to ruin it.
?
John DiMaggio, who provided the voice behind the wise-cracking robot with the “shiny metal ass,” Bender, is finalizing a deal to return as well, though it has not yet closed.

Maybe the wokes are complaining about him doing steel-face or something.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
62a8c15900153caef63c063eb06aded8--gender-bender.jpg

Maybe we can get woke twitter to pre-cancel the revival because the show is transphobic. Trick them into preventing the inevitable awful woke Hulu episodes that we are likely to suffer through.
At least Bender was passable.
And there was the episode where they all switched sex and after that non binary.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Saddest thing I’ve read in a long time, I was genuinely gutted when I read this earlier.

Yes I know it’s been cancelled and rebooted in the past, but the finale we were left with and the seasons we had were the best in cartoon/animation series history in my opinion.

Should have left it as it stood, I can’t see how they’ll be able to end it again in such a beautifully poignant way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I refuse to acknowledge any episode after The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings as cannon.

Unk Adams

Banned
I'd prefer for series like this to end on a good note instead of rebooting them and turning them into shit. Maybe it'll be good, but considering what modern writers have done to previously beloved series I doubt it.

I love Futurama and waited so long for the revival. I also love all the cast, but sorry to say but I am on Hulu‘s side when it come so Bendergate. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have DiMaggio back, but if it’s true that he was offered something in line what they pay Billy West and he rejected that, he is delusional. Billy West has much more offers on the table and that because he can create so many unique voices. He is in a completely different league than DiMaggio, so if DiMaggio really believes he deserve more than Billy West I agree that he should be recast!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I loved the last finale. Honestly if rather they didn't bring it back. Just get me that time skip king of the hill already. That makes a lot more sense and koth didn't have a good finale.
Just do an extreme time-skip with King of the Hill and bring us into Futurama. I want to see Hank's head in a jar.

Mossybrew

Yeah it's ok to let things be. Never had huge love for this series anyway, it was always just OK, with a few splashes of brilliance.

Doom85

Yeah it's ok to let things be. Never had huge love for this series anyway, it was always just OK, with a few splashes of brilliance.

I thought the series was great, but never put it on the level of the 90’s era of The Simpsons. As such, I’m fine ending it with Season 4 especially I heard some say they weren’t that into the revival seasons.

Also, hearing that they altered what happened to Fry’s dog disappointed me. It was meant to be a tribute to iconic dogs throughout history who have waited for their owner long after they passed. It cheapens it to alter that not to mention it just felt like they catered to the people who were all, “this is too sad for this show!” A comedy can have sad moments here and there. Christ, imagine if Bojack Horseman returned and went out of its way to lighten up on anything sad that had happened throughout the series.

I thought the series was great, but never put it on the level of the 90’s era of The Simpsons. As such, I’m fine ending it with Season 4 especially I heard some say they weren’t that into the revival seasons.

Also, hearing that they altered what happened to Fry’s dog disappointed me. It was meant to be a tribute to iconic dogs throughout history who have waited for their owner long after they passed. It cheapens it to alter that not to mention it just felt like they catered to the people who were all, “this is too sad for this show!” A comedy can have sad moments here and there. Christ, imagine if Bojack Horseman returned and went out of its way to lighten up on anything sad that had happened throughout the series.
Wait, they retroactively changed the episode with fry’s dog? Yeah it was sad, it made me feel feelings, and now we’re supposed to pretend that was just a bad dream? A crime against art I say.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
That fucking cartoon dog murders me every time. I'm sure I saw the retcon but promptly forgot it along with pretty much the whole Comedy Central era.

So Bender's back baby. The article I read mentioned that DiMaggio felt that both he and the rest of the cast deserved better pay. Who knows it that's true, and I don't actually see whether he managed a pay raise for himself or for the rest of the cast, but maybe that tidbit is enough for some of you weirdos to forgive him. For my part I give zero fucks about his negotiating, it's a free country and he can value his time and talents as he sees fit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That fucking cartoon dog murders me every time. I'm sure I saw the retcon but promptly forgot it along with pretty much the whole Comedy Central era.

So Bender's back baby. The article I read mentioned that DiMaggio felt that both he and the rest of the cast deserved better pay. Who knows it that's true, and I don't actually see whether he managed a pay raise for himself or for the rest of the cast, but maybe that tidbit is enough for some of you weirdos to forgive him. For my part I give zero fucks about his negotiating, it's a free country and he can value his time and talents as he sees fit.
I hope they got a deal similar to FRIENDS. When it was still on NBS, David Schwimmer convinced the rest of the main cast to negotiate as a team, which is how they were able to secure a one million dollar per episode contract.

Collective bargaining works.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Futurama Shut Up And Take My Money GIF

Oh, wait ... I live in Europe, I've got to find "other means" to watch this. Nevertheless, I'm excited. :messenger_grinning:

Top Bottom