• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4's Scot Ruben Has Turned Black.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Not sure if this should go into the off topic forum or the gaming side, but right now on G4 Scot is interviewing several black athletes (some new Madden show or something) and he's doing a very bad impression of what someone might think a black guy speaks like. I hope it's subconcience or something. It's funny to watch, though.

Maybe he has a cold or something :)

(PS I'm Black)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Who?

"G4 Scot is interviewing a bunch of athletes"

Woo, more athletes. Just what the channel needs. Celebrites. And athletes

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Wario64 said:
Who?

"G4 Scot is interviewing a bunch of athletes"

Woo, more athletes. Just what the channel needs. Celebrites. And athletes

Yeah, you're right. We need more programmers and producers on the air that no one except a group of 300 dudes on a hardcore gaming message board knows or cares about. That'll really pull in the ratings.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I saw a bit of this too! :lol He started talking and I almost immediately turned the channel. WTF?

White boys can't talk like us[/sarcasm] :)

vesuvious

Banned
satterfield said:
Yeah, you're right. We need more programmers and producers on the air that no one except a group of 300 dudes on a hardcore gaming message board knows or cares about. That'll really pull in the ratings.

Who needs a show inflated with a bunch of star power. It is annoying really. If game television programs like this (and the recent award shows) go the way of some dumb downed MTV-like production count me out! I don't need a bunch of stars or athletes to show me what they think is cool. I would rather hear from developers, publishers and producers in the gaming industry than some athletes star opinion on how cool teh Xbox or PS2 is! Would you expect game designers to speak on behalf of the movie industry or Hollywood. It's ridiculous to think so!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm sorry but I don't need another show that covers another sports game. It seems everytime I turn that channel on, it's always a celebrity or athelete talking about games.

I'm just pissed off that I have to see this shit and see a great and informative channel go away (TechTV). Man do I miss Call for Help and the old cast of The Screen Savers. And Tech Live was great.

Dave Long

Banned
satterfield said:

The only way to make those programmers into stars is to put them on TV. I'd much rather see the people that make the games on G4 than a bunch of celebrities that do nothing with games but play them like I do. WTF do you have against the people who make games?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The "Sweat NFL Preview" has to be the most worthless hour of programming ever on television. I loved the "highlights" taken from NFL2K5 as the 3rd-rate players and former players discussed the upcoming real season of football. I've only watched this channel for a couple weekends, but it is damn hilarious sometimes (unintentional comedy-wise), the news show they have is OK (though the anchors, especially the girl, are terrible), and X-Play is relatively decent as well, but most of the rest can go to hell, especially anything with Tommy Tallarico (most priceless moment: them praising the worthless 3-in-1 GBA game player that Seanbaby appropriately slammed in this month's EGM; I swear those guys base their reviews on whichever developer will give them a pizza, see: 9.5 for The Suffering and 8.0ish for Viewtiful Joe b/c it has "a stupid name").

satterfield said:
Those are the sorts of things that should be considered before creating the video game TV channel.

I don't watch much G4, but I do enjoy turning it on and randomly seeing Cassamassina or Vestal or someone who I've spent years seeing through text and a few stills.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Allow me to repeat it once more:

"...no one except a group of 300 dudes on a hardcore gaming message board knows or cares about."

Sorry, but without ratings, there's no TV network about video games.

Good TV Show = Ratings

hobbitx

No, what we need is more tv friendly G4 hosts who are actually knowlegdeable in the topics they talk about and can explain and discuss the contributions of these people from a real gamer's perspective instead of casual nonsense. If people will sit through Icons and listen to those devs, it's obvious alot of gamers don't care what the programmers look and sound like so I don't see much harm in them getting more exposure.

Lost Weekend said:
Not sure if this should go into the off topic forum or the gaming side, but right now on G4 Scot is interviewing several black athletes (some new Madden show or something) and he's doing a very bad impression of what someone might think a black guy speaks like. I hope it's subconcience or something. It's funny to watch, though.

Yeah I saw this and I just shook my head. Listening to him drop his R's in an effort to sound "black" was one of those moments that make you feel embarassed for someone else.

Vibri

Banned
hobbitx said:
No, what we need is more tv friendly G4 hosts who are actually knowlegdeable in the topics they talk about and can explain and discuss the contributions of these people from a real gamer's perspective instead of casual nonsense. If people will sit through Icons and listen to those devs, it's obvious alot of gamers don't care what the programmers look and sound like so I don't see much harm in them getting more exposure.

... which is why shows exist on the network to showcase developers as well. Pulse and Icons are pretty much entirely the game developers on TV. G4TV.com has a pretty high profile industry guest every week.

Industry people ARE on the network, almost too much if you ask me. Cliffy B, Jason Rubin, Ted Price, Lorne Lanning, the IGN guys, the Ziff guys - pretty much every time I turn on.

You don't see Britney Spears' lyricist or song writers for Xtina on three MTV shows a week do you? Frankly, I'm surprised the network's programing execs give as much time to industry faces as they do.

One thing they BADLY need to do is develop their own credible talent. The hosts are the single worst thing about G4. Get hosts with great personalities who also know games. Recruit them from the game mags... anywhere....

Top Bottom