• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4Tech:TV announced Halo 2 has more preorders

Gerber

Banned
ANyone have any figures from VIce City's preorders? What is Halo 2's number at? I'm actually shocked that GTA hasn't overtaken Halo 2 this late in the game.

EDIT: can i get a mod to update the subject header? :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
WOW!

A game that stores have been taking pre orders for 3 years has MORE pre orders than a game that's been up for pre order less than 6 months?

Has the world gone Wacky?

seriously though, Rockstar proved to people last year that you dont need to pre-order. They had plenty of copies of Vice City for all, people saw that, and dont feel need to pre-order.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The best thing about G4 is the white guy with the cornrows who does the Madden stuff. If I didn't know better, I would never believe that guy was for real.

Gerber

Banned
AstroLad said:
The best thing about G4 is the white guy with the cornrows who does the Madden stuff. If I didn't know better, I would never believe that guy was for real.

I can't stand that show. I don't give a crap about sports games.

Mrbob

DrForester said:
WOW!

A game that stores have been taking pre orders for 3 years has MORE pre orders than a game that's been up for pre order less than 6 months?

Has the world gone Wacky?

seriously though, Rockstar proved to people last year that you dont need to pre-order. They had plenty of copies of Vice City for all, people saw that, and dont feel need to pre-order.

And I'm sure MS will have more than enough copies of Halo 2 to go around too. Unless the only people who are buying Halo 2 are preorders....

This xmas is gonna be fun. :D

border

Well, there is a contingent of people who are saying "OMG There's a Limited Edition version! I had better preorder it since it's a limited collector's edition!"

**cue November 9, when 2 million extra "Limited Edition" copies clog store shelves of America**

Fifty

AstroLad said:

I need a picture!

Gerber

Banned
Lol M3w, I saw your name and was like 'oh god, here comes a pikmin 2 question'. What did you ask about again? Destroy all humans?

Senretsu

Well it goes like this:

*I walk into EB*

employee banters the second I enter the door: "Can I help you find anything?"
me: "No, I'm just looking, thanks."
employee: "Do you want to pre-order Halo 2?"
me: "No, I just said I was looking"
employee: "Halo 2 has over 500k preorders, you mean to tell me you don't want to preorder it?"
me: "STFU! Git outta my face you reject from K-mart! I'm gonna pre-order an N-gage and then cancel just to piss you off! "

ok, so I made the last line up, but they really push it to the point where it annoys you. not that I'm going to preorder it, I don't need to preorder.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder if there's any double counting going on when they had to input a LE item for the game...

1.2 million? Pretty impressive if true, but I'm skeptical of this figure. Maybe 1.2 million total preorders from all stores, but from EBgames alone??

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, in the end I just said I was a cheater and asked that guy how he liked to cheat.

In reality I was going to talk about my brother who keeps local LANs on speeddial to tell them when he spots cheaters on the servers, but somehow that didn't go with the flow.

The last online game I've ever cheated on was BattleCity about 8 years ago. I would create artifical lag to make the turrets not attack me when I entered a base.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Believe it or not, I believe this news. Halo 2 and GTA are going to be in one hell of a horse race this Christmas.

Teddman

border said:
Well, there is a contingent of people who are saying "OMG There's a Limited Edition version! I had better preorder it since it's a limited collector's edition!"

**cue November 9, when 2 million extra "Limited Edition" copies clog store shelves of America**
Yeah, it sounds likely that there will be plenty of Collector's Editions, according to Bungie themselves:

The Collector's Edition comes in a cool metal case, and may contain one or two other surprises. Naturally, it's a few dubloons more expensive than the regular one, but it might be worth it if you're a big fan or collector. Although we'll be making plenty of Collector's Editions, you'd probably sleep easier knowing you had one reserved, so check your local retailer for pre-order info.

Haven't pre-ordered yet? Don't worry too much, since there should be a good supply of Collector's Editions but they are being manufactured in limited numbers, so pre-ordering is the safest way to go. And if you miss the Collector's Edition, or simply don't want to pay a penny more than you have to, then you'll be pleased to hear that the game will be identical, no matter which box you buy.
http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=readyforhalo

Wulfer

I wonder if there's any double counting going on when they had to input a LE item for the game...

1.2 million? Pretty impressive if true, but I'm skeptical of this figure. Maybe 1.2 million total preorders from all stores, but from EBgames alone??
The store I used to work at had a legit 650 reserves so no double counting. The DM's are really watching cheating on reserves for Halo 2. Now, the 650 number was several months ago I sure their pushing close to 700-800 reserves on Halo 2 now. Biggest reserve ever?? You better beleive it!!

So, what does everyone think that just the North American numbers will be by the end of November this year? I'm guessing around 3 million. Worldwide, I'd guess that Halo 2 will be around 4.4 million by the end of the year.

DSN2K

WULFER said:
Keep that dream alive cause the dream gonna be crushed come Nov. 9

I was not talking to you....

but the overall feel that Halo 2 is going to out do the number one PS2 title this fall.

Wulfer

DS I think it will be a horse race I'm not sure of the GTA numbers its really gonna have to be a good game to beat GTA VC's numbers. The pre orders don't help much cause there isn't half as much as Halo 2. It's gonna come down to word of mouth on this one. Halo 2 is gonna be a success story just because of online play. 3-4 million at Christmas I think is very possible.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
MightyHedgehog said:
So, what does everyone think that just the North American numbers will be by the end of November this year? I'm guessing around 3 million. Worldwide, I'd guess that Halo 2 will be around 4.4 million by the end of the year.

I would say between 3.5 and 3.9 milion by the end of year. Halo 2 won't break 1 million in Europe this year

DSN2K

depends on how much they ship, they wont ship more then 4m copies this year worldwide.

my prediction is 3.5-3.8m worldwide by the end of the year, unless they decide to pack the shelfs for the next 6 months by shipping 6m copies or something crazy.

Prine

Banned
wow, i was pretty skeptical about Halo 2 reaching 1.5 million units at the end of this year, but reading posts from here and IGN im stating to believe Halo 2 can hit 4 million by the end of this year.

When i went into EB Games last week to preorder Fable, after the transaction finished, the clerk was like "Hey...you preordered this and not Halo 2?" and I said "Yeah, I've got Halo 2 pre-release hacked copy and it's not that good." He just looked all confused and I left.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I can't see it outselling GTA in the long haul just for the amount of PS2 hardware out there, but we easily have more Halo pre-orders at the store I'm in sometimes. Everyone pre-orders that game. The LE is now for the second shipment on 11/16.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
We have been through this before, the people who made GTA3 and VC such huge titles arent the people who pre-order games or buy special editions.

So i wouldnt be supprised if this was true.

snapty00

Banned
That's interesting if it's true. I wonder if it WILL outsell the new Grand Theft Auto. I somewhat doubt it, but I do have a feeling that San Andreas won't be as huge as Vice City was. My area may be an exception to the rule, but the hype really hasn't been here for San Andreas like it was for Vice City.

swipe

Musashi you're the first person here to realize that their are a hell of a lot of PS2's out there. There is no way Halo 2 outsells GTA due to the sheer volume of PS2 owners versus XBOX owners. I'm getting them both and will be part of the millions who own them.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ghost said:
We have been through this before, the people who made GTA3 and VC such huge titles arent the people who pre-order games or buy special editions.

So i wouldnt be supprised if this was true.

this seems like a really silly statement to make.

snapty00

Banned
swipe said:
Musashi you're the first person here to realize that their are a hell of a lot of PS2's out there. There is no way Halo 2 outsells GTA due to the sheer volume of PS2 owners versus XBOX owners. I'm getting them both and will be part of the millions who own them.
While GTA probably will outsell Halo 2, I wouldn't use userbase as a major indication of that. Halo outsold a bunch of PlayStation 2 games, and Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and GoldenEye outsold almost all PS one games last generation. Sure, if Halo 2 were on PlayStation 2 and Xbox, I would certainly think that the PlayStation 2 version would sell more because of userbase, but it's exclusive instead.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ghost said:
why? Doesnt mean they wont be picking up SA on day one, but they have no incentives to pre-order.

Id say more non gamers preorder than gamers do. This is why we push preorders on people. People who are more informed are more likely to not listen to our spiel and just say no. Whereas the more casual people tend to be persuaded easier. And hell, GTA vice city was the most pre ordered game in history (before halo 2 i guess) so the fact that you say people who get gta wont preorder seems ridiculous from the get go.

Izzy

Banned
For the third quarter, the company said its biggest game will be EA's "Madden NFL 2005," which after one week of sales is already one of GameStop's top sellers ever.

On a conference call, GameStop executives also said they expected pre-release reservations for the new game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" to be "significantly higher" than they were for "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" in 2002.

"Vice City," from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (NasdaqNM:TTWO - News), was the best-selling game of 2002 and ranks as one of the top sellers of all time.

Link

Top Bottom