• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Computer Experts Needed! - CPU Overheating, Patience Dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm at wits end here and I apologize ahead of time for the long post :D

Hopefully someone can lead me to the solution. I've been through three computer builds already and I have the same exact problem. All three of them start to overheat at some point and all of them have the same temperature readings. The idle temperature will be around 50C-60C, go to about 65C-70C during normal usage, and hit 70C+ and eventually turn off during gaming or CPU extensive software.

On my 3400+, the liquid cooling died from clogging thanks to cheap-o coolant so I switched to a decent Thermaltake heatsink. It kept shutting off at temps of 70C+ under load. After months of getting pissed off, I sent it to a buddy of mine, he threw in a giant 120mm heatsink w/ fans attached. Same problem. Eventually, it completely died on me altogether.

I then build a 5400+, stock heatsink, and decide to reuse the PSU. Same issue. After months of wondering wtf is going on, I replace the PSU, replace the heatsink, put some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Temps drop to 40C idle, 60C max. I'm happy. A few months later, boom, the same problem. My only idea now is that a bad power surge must be screwing with the PSU and the voltages since we get frequent outages.

Alright, I build a Phenom II X4 build, 650W Corsair PSU, Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink, new surge protector, etc., everything new. Check the temps, 55C-65C idle, 70C+ on load and it overheated during the Lost Planet 2 benchmark test.

I reseat the heatsink just in case, same problem. Honestly, I've just got no clue anymore what the hell is going on. My only other idea is to call the damn Ghost Busters because this shit has to be haunted. Anybody have the slightest idea what may be the problem here?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Clipjoint said:
Are you applying the thermal paste correctly? If not, that could be why you're consistently getting overheating.

Could be that or also if the heatsink isn't absolutely flush or depending on what you have (I have the plastic clips on mine, which have come loose in the past and caused a massive heat spike) it coudl not be seated right. It's hard to say without pics or seeing the build physically.

Ferrio

Banned
Clipjoint said:
Are you applying the thermal paste correctly? If not, that could be why you're consistently getting overheating.

That'd be my guess as well.

Use the plastic bag trick!

Could be that or also if the heatsink isn't absolutely flush or depending on what you have (I have the plastic clips on mine, which have come loose in the past and caused a massive heat spike) it coudl not be seated right. It's hard to say without pics or seeing the build physically.

Since this has happened on 3 separate builds, I'd guess that isn't it.

Clipjoint said:

I wouldn't think so. If I didn't apply it right, then the pre-done thermal paste shouldn't have given a problem and my older 3400+ shouldn't have overheated since I had a friend do it with a lot more experience then me. I'll see if I can upload pictures later. Might be a dumb question, but could it be the house being badly wired causing this?

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Those temperatures are high for idle. And since it's occurring on three separate builds, I'm guessing the thermal paste is being applied wrong. Either that or you live in a desert climate and don't have air.

J-Rod

The only thing it can be is something related to the heatsink not making good contact with the CPU. Obvious question, but have you run the box with the lid off to make sure the fan is spinning?

edit: I doubt it has anything to do with electricity or voltage, but can't you check on that in bios anyway?

Gaz Pwnage said:
What the...? How do you put a fan in backwards?
Well, it wasn't on the heat sync, but never the less, I managed to do it like an ass. Doing too many things at one time, plus I was a newbie at the time. Yeah it wasn't one of my shining moments :^(

3 different builds and different configurations ...

Where are these PCs located? In an enclosed space? On the carpet? Next to a heater vent or Xbox 360?

Burger

J-Rod said:
The only thing it can be is something related to the heatsink not making good contact with the CPU. Obvious question, but have you run the box with the lid off to make sure the fan is spinning?

My thoughts. You should apply thermal paste to the heat sink, and use a straight razor to scrape the bottom of the heat sink to remove excess.

Thermal paste is not for sitting in between CPU/HS, but to fill the tiny imperfections in the surfaces to make a perfect contact.

George Claw M.D. said:
3 different builds and different configurations ...

Where are these PCs located? In an enclosed space? On the carpet? Next to a heater vent or Xbox 360?

They are sort of. It's not exactly enclosed but it's underneath my computer desk, next to a wall, but it's still got some breathing room.

But I took your suggestions, tried em out and took off both case sides and moved it in a position where it can easily get air and still nothing.

Also went back, took off the heatsink and its pre-done thermal paste, put some arctic silver 5, spread it with a business card, resat it, and still the same temperatures. Left it over night to let the paste burn in, no difference in temperatures.

This is the best picture I can do for now. I have a hard time uploading things because my ISP is a huge throttler and have no upstream for the moment. Maybe someone can spot something wrong. Usually I twist tie the wires and have things very neat but I've been thinking about sending everything back so it's going to be a mess.

1000504.jpg

riceandbeans said:
They are sort of. It's not exactly enclosed but it's underneath my computer desk, next to a wall, but it's still got some breathing room.

But I took your suggestions, tried em out and took off both case sides and moved it in a position where it can easily get air and still nothing.

Also went back, took off the heatsink and its pre-done thermal paste, put some arctic silver 5, spread it with a business card, resat it, and still the same temperatures. Left it over night to let the paste burn in, no difference in temperatures.

This is the best picture I can do for now. I have a hard time uploading things because my ISP is a huge throttler and have no upstream for the moment. Maybe someone can spot something wrong. Usually I twist tie the wires and have things very neat but I've been thinking about sending everything back so it's going to be a mess.
I would suggest putting a pea size amount of paste in the middle of the cpu die, and just let the weight of the heatsink spread the paste, I have always been told to do this method.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
sounds like your thermal paste is being applied incorrectly or your case needs higher rpm fans. You said you spread your thermal paste, you shouldnt touch the paste at all and put the heatsink on as fast as possible dont let anything touch the paste , let the weight spread it for a even distro. Only other thing i can say is the 3400 was one of if not the last last last processor on the K7 it represented the extent that amd was willing to go with the architecture so i can see that maybe getting hot. But the Phenom 2 shouldnt be that high idle , can you maybe put those cables thru some routing holes in your case for better air flow?

DonasaurusRex said:
sounds like your thermal paste is being applied incorrectly or your case needs higher rpm fans. You said you spread your thermal paste, you shouldnt touch the paste at all and put the heatsink on as fast as possible dont let anything touch the paste , let the weight spread it for a even distro. Only other thing i can say is the 3400 was one of if not the last last last processor on the K7 it represented the extent that amd was willing to go with the architecture so i can see that maybe getting hot. But the Phenom 2 shouldnt be that high idle , can you maybe put those cables thru some routing holes in your case for better air flow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

This is the tutorial I followed exactly

I always figured you just spread the thermal paste evenly and then put on the heatsink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I

Also found this. Skip to 4:25 and it's the method you mention. So this is the better way to do it? I'll probably give this method a shot later tonight then.

riceandbeans said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

This is the tutorial I followed exactly

I always figured you just spread the thermal paste evenly and then put on the heatsink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I

Also found this. Skip to 4:25 and it's the method you mention. So this is the better way to do it? I'll probably give this method a shot later tonight then.

Follow the second method. A (fat) Pea sized dab in the middle then twist the heatsink between 10 and 2 o'clock. That will do most of the spreading. After fastening the heatsink start your pc up once and let it run for about 2 minutes (the heat from the cpu will spread the paste) then let it sit for about 20 minutes to cool and get a good seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom