• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF help in purchasing my next car: 2016 Ford Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGOMON

Hi guys/gals i need your opinion as i am i dilemma right now.
Few months ago i made a thread asking Gaf opinion in purchasing a car my list was
2016 Ford Mustang or 2016 Chevrolet Camaro.

I have been Mustang fan for as long as i remember but i wanted to look at it objectively and give other brands chance but i still end choosing the Mustang. However now i can't decided which Mustang to buy.
The V6 is out of the question i am torn between the Ecoboost and the GT.
I daily drive 100km or 62 mile to work (200km round trip) in the highway so i want my next car to be a daily car but i don't want to fill up the tank every 2 days so it should have a good MPG.
Currently i drive 2013 Ford Taurus Limited with average MPG of 22 or 11 l/100km and honestly i am annoyed by the frequency of filling the tank over spending the money.

The Ecoboost sounds to fit my requirement but as a Mustang fan i am afraid am going to miss the growling sound of the V8 and regret buying the EB :(

I really love the iconic sound of the V8 but the trade off in my situation making me hesitant to buy it and pushing me toward the EB. the EPA rating for the EB and the GT are 25 MPG or 9 l/100km and 19 MPG or 12 l/100km.

As you can see there is a big difference in the fuel economy also is the V8 a good daily driver car? i need your opinion and experince to help me out finalize my decision.

Background info:
I live in Oman (Arab Gulf Country)
No modification are allowed on new cars otherwise i would void the warranty
The cost of filling the Taurus tank is $28.5
I want a sport car for daily use and good fuel economy

Coming from a person who daily drives a Honda S2000, I would make sacrifices to get into the purest Mustang. GT no questions. I really like the Ecoboost, but if my goal is to drive a Mustang and experience the Mustang and it's heritage then I'm going V8 all day. No compromises.

Clockwork

I had a 2015 Mustang GT Premium for a year. I averaged around 21 mpg. It was my daily driver (combined city and highway) and even with it being a 6 speed I never had issues in traffic (but pretty much all my vehicles prior to that were manual so I was used to it).

Since I live in WI and just bought a house last spring (and also have a dog now) the Mustang no longer made sense as a daily driver so I traded it in the end of August and got a Jeep Cherokee 75th Anniversary (4x4/270hp V6).

If it fits your needs the Mustang is an awesome car. If I could afford two vehicles I would have kept it as my summer/fun car.

Get a regular boring fuel efficient vehicle then purchase an older real mustang for your fun driving needs. Or go balls out on the v8 finding a middle ground between power and fuel efficiency is boring and unfulfilling, you'll always wish you has one or the other at times.

Also you'll be able to modify on an older one if that's your thing.

EGOMON

Sounds like the perfect description of a GTI. You'll easily add 10 MPG, be just as sporty in daily driving, while being more comfortable and practical.
Yeah i looked into the GTi but it didn't really click with me i need a sporty low riding car
I had a 2015 Mustang GT Premium for a year. I averaged around 21 mpg. It was my daily driver (combined city and highway) and even with it being a 6 speed I never had issues in traffic (but pretty much all my vehicles prior to that were manual so I was used to it).

Since I live in WI and just bought a house last spring (and also have a dog now) the Mustang no longer made sense as a daily driver so I traded it in the end of August and got a Jeep Cherokee 75th Anniversary (4x4/270hp V6).

If it fits your needs the Mustang is an awesome car. If I could afford two vehicles I would have kept it as my summer/fun car.
Thanks for sharing your experience
How long you drive everyday and did the fuel economy bother you?
Get a regular boring fuel efficient vehicle then purchase an older real mustang for your fun driving needs. Or go balls out on the v8 finding a middle ground between power and fuel efficiency is boring and unfulfilling, you'll always wish you has one or the other at times.

Also you'll be able to modify on an older one if that's your thing.
I am really tired of driving boring cars everyday for 200km thats why am looking for a sporty car i want to enjoy the road

Jezbollah

I am really tired of driving boring cars everyday for 200km thats why am looking for a sporty car i want to enjoy the road

You really need to make up your mind - there is no such thing as a sporty v8 that is fuel efficient not to be filling up all the time for 120 mile round trip commutes. You've pigeon hole'd your options enough as it is by already deciding on a make/model :)

Clockwork

How long you drive everyday and did the fuel economy bother you?

I work out of my home office so I average less than 7000 miles a year on my cars. I have had other vehicles with relatively poor mileage though but it has never bugged me since gas is cheap here. I actually get similar mpg in the Jeep.

EGOMON

You really need to make up your mind - there is no such thing as a sporty v8 that is fuel efficient not to be filling up all the time for 120 mile round trip commutes. You've pigeon hole'd your options enough as it is by already deciding on a make/model :)
I know there is no such thing as fuel efficient v8 i just wanted to hear from other people how bad it is otherwise the Ecoboost almost fulfill my needs

The Mustang was second on my list when I bought my car last year. I would definitely prefer it to the late model Camaros.

Echo everyone here when I say that you have to go with the V8. Apparently the Ecoboost model is actually very good. But in the end, nothing can replace or make up for that authentic American muscle.

(That's why it was ironic that the car I picked over it is forced injection, small displacement, 4 cylinder, and German)

EGOMON

I work out of my home office so I average less than 7000 miles a year on my cars. I have had other vehicles with relatively poor mileage though but it has never bugged me since gas is cheap here. I actually get similar mpg in the Jeep.

I wish i lived closer to work i would never cared about the mileage :(

EGOMON

The Mustang was second on my list when I bought my car last year. I would definitely prefer it to the late model Camaros.

Echo everyone here when I say that you have to go with the V8. Apparently the Ecoboost model is actually very good. But in the end, nothing can replace or make up for that authentic American muscle.

(That's why it was ironic that the car I picked over it is forced injection, small displacement, 4 cylinder, and German)

I know right :(
I owned a GT before thats why i am afraid if i buy the EB after sometime i would regret it, tho i tested drive the Ecoboost and i loved it

I say go with the 5.0 V8. I have the same engine in my F150 and it's a beast and sounds awesome. I too considered the Ecoboost but I worry about longevity. I keep my vehicles a long time and don't want to worry about a turbo going out. Also those high compression smaller engines have to work a lot harder to out put the power that they are. They are really impressive engines HP and torque wise.

see5harp

After a test drive I was sorta shocked at how cheap and barebones the interior trim and creature comforts were in the Mustang. If you really just want the driving experience to be great, that's fine but there are other cars in the price range like the Genesis coupe that are way nicer. I suppose if you don't drive long distances that may not mean as much to you.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Hyundai is a thing in your country.

mike6467

Yeah, pretty much this. Sports cars are pay to play, and if you want to actually play, then don't get the neutered version. If it's mostly an aesthetic choice and you're not worried about the power, get the Ecoboost. You can probably throw a performance exhaust on there that'll give it a better sound if that's something that matters to you.

After a test drive I was sorta shocked at how cheap and barebones the interior trim and creature comforts were in the Mustang. If you really just want the driving experience to be great, that's fine but there are other cars in the price range like the Genesis coupe that are way nicer. I suppose if you don't drive long distances that may not mean as much to you.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Hyundai is a thing in your country.

I'd highly recommend the Genesis coupe, that car is amazing. Definitely worth a test drive at the very least. I bought a BMW 135i M Sport, but I probably would've ended up with the Genesis if I'd had the time to wait out a model that was equipped the way I wanted (my car got totaled and I wasn't able to operate without one for that long). That said, the 135i is easily the best car I've owned, so I don't have many regrets.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1. Do they have Cars n Coffee events in Oman?
2. If no, get ecoboost, if yes, 5.0 V8 or special edition thereof
3. As you leave the event, gun it hard so folks can see how bitchin your ride is.

Tigress

I'm going to go against the grain and say if you loved driving the ecoboost (since it seems you've drive one), why not get it? You apparently like how it drives and it will get better gas mileage and you'll like that too. Sure, it won't be the V8 but once you get over the pride thing (which at this point would be really the reason you're buying the V8 since you seem to not have problems with how the ecoboost drives) and realize you still enjoy driving it, you'll love the gas mileage.

I never regretted buying my GT Celica (I know, not a performance car but plenty of people telling me to get the GTS instead as the GT was slower). I love how it drives and I love that it gets great gas mileage (meaning I'm less loathe to drive it places rather than worrying about costs, but I'm also pretty poor) and I can buy the cheap gas (the GTS needs the expensive stuff too). Sure, it doesn't have the more performance engine (to be fair, it's a celica, even the GTS isn't that fast but my GT is fast enough anyways and that is what is important, that it is fast enough that I like driving it). But it still is fun to drive (handles great for a FWD) and I'm not cringing everytime I take it to get gas (and it can take two weeks or more to need gas as it is pretty fuel effiicient and has a big tank). So I have less times I need to take out my wallet to feed it.

EGOMON

Yeah, pretty much this. Sports cars are pay to play, and if you want to actually play, then don't get the neutered version. If it's mostly an aesthetic choice and you're not worried about the power, get the Ecoboost. You can probably throw a performance exhaust on there that'll give it a better sound if that's something that matters to you.

I'd highly recommend the Genesis coupe, that car is amazing. Definitely worth a test drive at the very least. I bought a BMW 135i M Sport, but I probably would've ended up with the Genesis if I'd had the time to wait out a model that was equipped the way I wanted (my car got totaled and I wasn't able to operate without one for that long). That said, the 135i is easily the best car I've owned, so I don't have many regrets.
When i was searching for sports car to buy earlier this year the Genesis was one of them but at the end i settled with the Mustang
1. Do they have Cars n Coffee events in Oman?
2. If no, get ecoboost, if yes, 5.0 V8 or special edition thereof
3. As you leave the event, gun it hard so folks can see how bitchin your ride is.
Unfortunately we don't lol
I'm going to go against the grain and say if you loved driving the ecoboost (since it seems you've drive one), why not get it? You apparently like how it drives and it will get better gas mileage and you'll like that too. Sure, it won't be the V8 but once you get over the pride thing (which at this point would be really the reason you're buying the V8 since you seem to not have problems with how the ecoboost drives) and realize you still enjoy driving it, you'll love the gas mileage.

I never regretted buying my GT Celica (I know, not a performance car but plenty of people telling me to get the GTS instead as the GT was slower). I love how it drives and I love that it gets great gas mileage (meaning I'm less loathe to drive it places rather than worrying about costs, but I'm also pretty poor) and I can buy the cheap gas (the GTS needs the expensive stuff too). Sure, it doesn't have the more performance engine (to be fair, it's a celica, even the GTS isn't that fast but my GT is fast enough anyways and that is what is important, that it is fast enough that I like driving it). But it still is fun to drive (handles great for a FWD) and I'm not cringing everytime I take it to get gas (and it can take two weeks or more to need gas as it is pretty fuel effiicient and has a big tank). So I have less times I need to take out my wallet to feed it.
Yeah i liked driving the Ecoboost the only concerns i have with it is the sound and the turbo reliability in my hot country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom