• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, help me get into beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've basically abstained from beer (and most alcohol) my entire life because for the most part I have the taste buds of an 8-year-old. I love sweet beverages and I'm not a huge fan of bitterness...at least not when it's the dominant flavor.

My wife is a big beer drinker and lately I've found that when I sample whatever she's having I'm liking it more and more - not always, of course. She'll have something bitter enough to make me cringe every once in a while (FYI, my threshold for unpleasantly bitter probably starts at...grapefruit).

Now, I know jack shit about beer and I've been trying to educate myself, but I figured I'd entreaty GAF for help. Things I enjoy in a beer:
  • a rich, foamy head
  • mild flavor
  • sweet flavor notes - vanilla, chocolate, etc.
  • most of the beer I've liked has been quite dark

dragons-milk.jpg

In my experience, the best beer I've ever had has been the "Dragon's Milk" oak barrel ale from New Holland brewing company. ABV is 10% and contains those aforementioned notes of chocolate and vanilla. Has anyone ever tried it? Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might like? I realize the information I provided is quite limited. Thanks.

Courage

Keep drinking beer, and you're gonna start loving beer.

Start with something cheap and smooth, like Yuengling.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sounds like you'd be a fan of Milk & Oatmeal stouts. One of the best, though it's a bit less subtle with its chocolate and coffee flavors:

7798891990_0e7e56547e_z.jpg

Yeah, you like Stouts/Porters.

Here's some suggestions.

Ninkasi - Oatis
Youngs - Double Chocolate Stout
Southern Tier - Choklat, Oat
Rogue - Shakespeare Stout
Boss - Black Boss Porter
Deschutes - The Abyss, Black Butte Porter
Lagunitas - Imperial Stout, Cappucino Stout
Alameda - Black Bear XX Stout
Alaskan - Baltic Porter
Stone - Smoked Porter
Samuel Smith - Oatmeal Stout

My personal favorites out of that crew are Youngs Double Choc, Southern Tier Chok, and the Abyss. But they're all highly recommended. The lowest-end is probably the Lagunitas Imperial Stout, as it's a little syrupy/sweet, but even then, it's still a REALLY damn good beer.

Most of those can be found in 22oz bombers for around 3-7 bucks.

Yep, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the milk/oatmeal stouts I've tried.

Here's some suggestions.

Ninkasi - Oatis
Boss - Black Boss Porter
Alaskan - Baltic Porter
Stone - Smoked Porter

That's a great list, thank you.

Kaladin

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Stouts are becoming my favorite kind of beer. I still enjoy a good lager or ale, but stouts are the best.

TheExodu5

Banned
Try some brown ales. Avoid hoppy beers, such as IPAs (India Pale Ales).

Brown ales should have much of what you're looking for. Subdued hoppiness (hops are associated to the flowery bitter taste in beer), mild sweetness, and a somewhat fruity (dark fruits such as raisins/plums) and sometimes spiced nose.

Stouts are great as well though there are definitely some bitter stouts out there. Personally, I find many stouts to be too overpowering with the coffee/chocolate flavors, so I've grown a little tired of them as a result. There are still a few that I really like. My favorites would be Aphrodisiaque by Dieu Du Ciel, as well as La Vache Folle by Brasserie Charlevoix.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Here's some suggestions.

Ninkasi - Oatis
Boss - Black Boss Porter
Alaskan - Baltic Porter
Stone - Smoked Porter

Oh man I forgot to include this, my favorite Dark Beer but it's so hard to get out this way east.

I'll throw in a vote for this, though it's intense.

w9wpAUt.jpg

Really though, Dark Beer is second only to Belgian Abbey/Trappist style for the best beers in the world. You're starting off on the right foot brother.

Try some experimental, dark British Ales. Dark lord is good, Hob-Goblin ain't bad, Black Sheep's nice... there's loads out there, lots with good tastes to them, nice little hints of honey or strawberry or whatever. Bateman's as well. some of these are regional though, so...

Course, if you live in the US, er, I don't know what to suggest...

cdyhybrid

Stout master race. This one is popular:

4AAsde6.jpg

Beaten, damnit.

But really, the way to get into it is to just try as much as possible. You'll quickly figure out what you like and what you don't.

Man, Old Rasputin is an asskicker. Great beer though, good call.

edit: if you're feeling super adventurous - see that Raspberry Lambic that Peaches just posted? Get a bottle of that, and get a couple bottles of Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Fill a glass with 1/4 of the lambic. Fill the rest w/ the Double Chocolate Stout.

Congratulations. You can now drink a cake.

I guess this is a blasphemous beer cocktail that spoils the efforts the brewmasters put in, but look - it is REALLY DELICIOUS.

AkuMifune

Banned
Try some brown ales. Avoid hoppy beers, such as IPAs (India Pale Ales).

Brown ales should have much of what you're looking for. Subdued hoppiness (hops are associated to the flowery bitter taste in beer), mild sweetness, and a somewhat fruity (dark fruits such as raisins/plums) and sometimes spiced nose.

Austin is soooo into hoppy beers, I don't get it. It's like it's own thing.

I drank stouts all winter, but time for something new.

muu

Rogue's Nut Brown. Soft flavor, goes down easy. Favorite beer by far.

Local brewery called Block 15 had a winter seasonal they called Figgy Pudding, which tasted just like Nut Brown but had something like 13%. Apparently I got very drunk off of it once, and my friends no longer tell me when it's available.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yep, I can honestly say that IPAs tend to taste like piss to me. I can understand the appeal, but they're just not for me.

I'm not a huge fan of IPAs. There are a feu that I like, as long as they balance out the hops with some sweetness, but for me I find hops to be very overpowering and often unpleasant if present in high quantities.

Brown ales are seriously underexposed. Some of the best rated beers in the world are brown ales (including the Westvleteren XII and Rochefort 10), and yet brown ales seem to be the least commonly available beers where I shop.

Lots of great suggestions, guys, thank you. I'm going to have to make a beer run this weekend.

Rogue's Nut Brown. Soft flavor, goes down easy. Favorite beer by far.

Local brewery called Block 15 had a winter seasonal they called Figgy Pudding, which tasted just like Nut Brown but had something like 13%. Apparently I got very drunk off of it once, and my friends no longer tell me when it's available.

Haha, in all of my beer discovery adventures I've never even felt remotely tipsy. Maybe that'll change someday.

So I've basically abstained from beer (and most alcohol) my entire life because for the most part I have the taste buds of an 8-year-old. I love sweet beverages and I'm not a huge fan of bitterness...at least not when it's the dominant flavor.

My wife is a big beer drinker and lately I've found that when I sample whatever she's having I'm liking it more and more - not always, of course. She'll have something bitter enough to make me cringe every once in a while (FYI, my threshold for unpleasantly bitter probably starts at...grapefruit).

Now, I know jack shit about beer and I've been trying to educate myself, but I figured I'd entreaty GAF for help. Things I enjoy in a beer:
  • a rich, foamy head
  • mild flavor
  • sweet flavor notes - vanilla, chocolate, etc.
  • most of the beer I've liked has been quite dark

dragons-milk.jpg

In my experience, the best beer I've ever had has been the "Dragon's Milk" oak barrel ale from New Holland brewing company. ABV is 10% and contains those aforementioned notes of chocolate and vanilla. Has anyone ever tried it? Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might like? I realize the information I provided is quite limited. Thanks.

Boddingtons!

• a rich, foamy head --- CHECK
  • mild flavor --- CHECK
  • sweet flavor notes - vanilla, chocolate, etc. --- CHECK (lightly sweet)
  • most of the beer I've liked has been quite dark --- NEGATIVO (lighter brew)

Easy to drink and not bitter. Recommend you try it as a lighter option.

HNT9K3Hl.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Lots of great suggestions, guys, thank you. I'm going to have to make a beer run this weekend.

Where do you live? Beer selection is going to vary pretty wildly depending on the region.

In any case, I'll recommend a few Canadian beers:

La Fin Du Monde
Peche Mortel
Aphrodisiaque

The first is a blonde which should be available in many places even in the US. Peche Mortel and Aphrodisiaque are stouts and they may be available as well. These are 3 of the highest rated beers in Canada and are well worth a try. La Fin Du Monde and Aphrodisiaque are my personal favorites.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wheat beer is the answer. Not bitter at all. Often a bit of citric sweetness. Flavorful. Drinkable. You dont need to be a beer drinker to enjoy them.

Try a Hefeweizen.

My favorite is this:

QdPbk9c.jpg

For something light, airy and a bit sweeter:

FZ6xv63.jpg

EDIT: Well maybe these wont satisfy the vanilla/chocalate-y sweet, but still worth giving a try.

Where do you live? Beer selection is going to vary pretty wildly depending on the region.

In any case, I'll recommend a few Canadian beers:

La Fin Du Monde
Peche Mortel
Aphrodisiaque

The first is a blonde which should be available in many places even in the US. Peche Mortel and Aphrodisiaque are stouts and they may be available as well. These are 3 of the highest rated beers in Canada and are well worth a try. La Fin Du Monde and Aphrodisiaque are my personal favorites.

I live in Indiana - New Holland in Michigan is the only local brewery I've found a special affinity for.

AMUSIX

Agree with everything said here (especially about browns...like Rogue's Nut Brown...damn, I've got to find a tap now).

If you're wanting to try some lighter beers that might appeal to you, go with a more British bend. Try their lagers or ESBs. Or try Boddington's. They're not going to be like your stouts, but they will pair better with certain foods.

And always from a tap.

Mindlog

Lots of excellent suggestions in here, but I'll add that from my experience Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout has never failed to win someone over.

fSKtPBO.jpg

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is another personal favorite. It's very good and almost always available when I get to the specialty shop.

Finally, it seems obvious, but pairing these beers with a dessert is a fantastic combination. Something as simple as a chunk of dark chocolate will work.

Milchjon

Wheat beer is the answer. Not bitter at all. Often a bit of citric sweetness. Flavorful. Drinkable. You dont need to be a beer drinker to enjoy them..

I'm a beer drinker and it's the only style I can't stand at all (apart from smoked beer).

Wheat beer is the worst.

But then again, I like bitterness.

Malvolio

Be sure to check out porters as well if you are enjoying stouts. They are a bit less malty, but they are actually what most stouts are originally based off of. I'd recommend a few, but I think it might be better if you try some stouts you like and then see if you can locate a porter from the same brewery. I too started off as a stout fan before branching out, but now porters are my go to beer.

edit: I just saw that you are in Indiana. Do yourself a favor and find some Three Floyds. You will not be letdown by any of their beers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Give this one a shot if you can find it:

Samichlaus:
samichlaus.jpg

It's the strongest beer I've ever had, at 14%. They had to lable it malt liquor rather than beer. It's more like a wine than a beer, and has some wonderful fruity notes to it. It's a tad bit too sweet, but it's still an absolute treat. Roasted malt, raisins, caramel...very lovely beer.

Brewdog Tokyo is anything but mild tasting, but I think it might be right up your alley. It's sweet, dark as night, and really delicious. Does pack quite a punch ABV-wise though, so that might be a turnoff for some.

beer_107203.jpg

Brewdog Tokyo is anything but mild tasting, but I think it might be right up your alley. It's sweet, dark as night, and really delicious. Does pack quite a punch ABV-wise though, so that might be a turnoff for some.

I don't have any aversion to high ABV - if I enjoy the flavor I barely notice.

Honestly I really dig strong flavors so long as those strong flavors aren't bitter.

edit: I just saw that you are in Indiana. Do yourself a favor and find some Three Floyds. You will not be letdown by any of their beers.

Oh, thanks. I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Milchjon

beer_107203.jpg

Oh, is this worth the pretty steep amount of money my local shop asks?

I loved their Punk and Hardcore IPAs, and this description sounds intriguing:

"Brewed with Jasmine and Cranberries. Dry-Hopped then aged on oak chips"

I can understand how someone can appreciate bitterness, it's just that my threshold is quite low.

It's weird, I don't really associate piss with bitterness (or the other way around) :-D

-KRS-

Wheat beer is the answer. Not bitter at all. Often a bit of citric sweetness. Flavorful. Drinkable. You dont need to be a beer drinker to enjoy them.

Try a Hefeweizen.

My favorite is this:

QdPbk9c.jpg

For something light, airy and a bit sweeter:

FZ6xv63.jpg

EDIT: Well maybe these wont satisfy the vanilla/chocalate-y sweet, but still worth giving a try.

My sister HATES beer but she actually really likes Hoegaarden and other wheat beers like La Trappe Witte. So I'll second this. Try a wheat beer. Hoegaarden is very refreshing, almost like a soda in my opinion. Well not really but it's something that you can drink when you're really thirsty to be refreshed. La Trappe is also very refreshing but has a little bit more of a beer taste. You should be able to find Hoegaarden I'm assuming, since it's pretty much the biggest brand but La Trappe is from a French Dutch Trappist monestery so it can probably be a bit hard to find in the states. Edit: Apparently they can go by the name Koningshoeven in the states.

DJ_Lae

My go-to beer for the longest time was Okanagan Springs' Porter, formerly Old English Porter, no idea if they've changed the name again. I also have no idea of its availability outside of Canada.

It's a thick, rich, dark porter that's quite sweet, not at all bitter, and deceptive in that it does not taste like it's 8.5%. It's also weird how much I like it given that I also enjoy double IPAs, which are in no way sweet and bitter as shit.

I'll drink pretty much anything that isn't a mass produced piss lager or wheat beers. Dunno what it is about wheat beers, they just taste rank. Especially the unfiltered ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom