• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop - Your thoughts on Hip Hop "Radio Shows?"

DirtyLarry

GAF-Hop (or actually even all of Gaf that listens to your preferred music online) I want to hear your opinion on this topic. Do you believe the traditional idea of a "Radio Show" is dead? Or does it still interest people?

I put Radio show in quotes as we are still talking online here. It is just the idea of a show that comes on at a set time Live during the week.

If any of you are familiar with the Stretch & Bobbito show that was once on the air on 89 Tec 9 back in the day in the Tri-State Area, that is the audience my friend and his co hosts would cater to. What is known as "Underground" Hip Hop.

The show is called Flip The Script Radio. Right now they use a platform called Mixlr to do the live show once a week (Wednesday nights at 8 PM Easter nTime), and to also host their archive of their shows in the Showreel section.
They have had people such as Redman, Masta Ace, El De Sensei from The Artifacts, Lord Sear, Rah Digga as guests on their show, along with countless other acts that would be considered not mainstream.

As I mentioned above, once their live show is done, it is immediately available in an archive so people can play it back whenever they like.

They currently do all the standard self promotion. Make promo videos and share on social media, go to live Hip Hop Shows and pass out flyers and shirts. Host events where they do their show live from a spot. They do a decent amount in this area, but it is not all online. They were hoping like back in the day word of mouth would be the biggest factor in getting new listeners, but so far it has not worked out as they were hoping it would. They have a small amount of very loyal listeners, but they are not breaking much ground in getting new listeners.

I am meeting with them tonight to try and figure out what can be done to get more listeners and the audience they deserve, specifically from a technology standpoint.

They are hoping I can help out with bringing things to the next level so this is why I am asking for peoples opinions on this subject. I have my own thoughts, but I want to hear other peoples. Any thoughts are welcome, but what I am currently focused on is...
  • Do people just not listen to radio shows anymore?
  • Do you have to also have a video component these days for people to even consider checking it out?
  • Is it this mixlr platform they are using? If so what do people prefer?
  • Should they be doing podcasts as well? Would that get more people listening?
  • Is it simply just "underground" Hip Hop is truly just that, underground? And the audience is really that small?
  • Is it because the music is available on so many other platforms it is just easier to find it on your own?

My boy takes being a DJ very seriously. He considers it his job to bring music to people they might not have otherwise heard if he did not play it. He has mentioned that it has not been as easy as it was "back in the day" with the direction a lot of Hip Hop artists are currently going.

This is not self promotion. In fact I was not even going to share the name of their show with a link to it but I know people would probably have asked for it. I am just trying to help a friend out as it very much seems like they are at a point they might just call it a day. But if there is anything else they can try, other platforms they can use, anything to perhaps get more listeners, they are all for trying it.

TIA for any feedback.
DL

Top Bottom