• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Recommend me some Games for my HDTV

thom

I'm in a graphic whore kinda mood.

I just got a new HDTV and have my Xbox and Gamecube running through component.

Can you guys recommend some games running in Progressive Scan that look gorgeous so

I can impress my friends and girlfriend graphically (she still says my HD was a waste of

money)

Thanks!!

robot

Dead or Alive 3
Ninja Gaiden
Wind Waker (smoke looks weird tho)
F-Zero
Amped 2
Mario Golf
Panzer Dragoon Orta

BuddyC

Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Amped 2
RalliSport Challenge 2 (I can't remember if it's HDTV or not, but it should be)

Don't forget to activate Prog Scan on the GC by holding down B (as you boot up the system) until it prompts you if you want to turn it on.

Amped 2 - 720p, looks really sharp
MX Unleashed - 1080i, looks nice, "look mom no jaggies"
Dragons Lair - 1080i, dont bother

There really aren't many true high def games out.

ge-man

Another vote for F-Zero GX. It may be the best looking pro-scan game on the GC.

For Xbox you can't go wrong with any of Sega/Smilebit's titles. Others have already mentioned GV and PDO, but Jet Set Radio Future also looks tremendous.

thom--Deus Ex is progressive scan.

golem

PanopticBlue said:
Amped 2 - 720p, looks really sharp
MX Unleashed - 1080i, looks nice, "look mom no jaggies"
Dragons Lair - 1080i, dont bother

There really aren't many true high def games out.

enter the matrix.. haha
nba2k3/2k4
freedom fighters (720 i think)
tony hawk 4
wsb 2k3 (2k4?)
true crime
nba ballers(?)

RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2
RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2

Mario Kart: Double Dash
1080: Avalanche
F-Zero GX
Metroid Prime
Mario Golf
Rebel Strike
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Ninja Gaiden
Dead Or Alive 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
For me, some kind of widescreen support is better than hi-def without it. Burnout 2 at 480p in widescreen is a great experience.

Not a single good true HDTV game among the bunch so far.

Get yourself some Freedom Fighters and Soul Caliber II for the Xbox.

Ferrarisimo said:
Not a single good true HDTV game among the bunch so far.

Get yourself some Freedom Fighters and Soul Caliber II for the Xbox.

He didn't say he wanted HD games, but games that looked good on an HDTV. I contend that most everyone's picks here look fantastic on an HDTV. 720p doesn't really look that much better than 480p.

Error Macro said:
He didn't say he wanted HD games, but games that looked good on an HDTV. I contend that most everyone's picks here look fantastic on an HDTV. 720p doesn't really look that much better than 480p.

Uh, dude, 480p and 720p are night and day. One is considered and ED signal, and the other a true HD signal. If you've played either of the two games above, or seen any kind of true HD programming, you'd know that it does look that much better.

Alcibiades

Ferrarisimo said:
Uh, dude, 480p and 720p are night and day. One is considered and ED signal, and the other a true HD signal. If you've played either of the two games above, or seen any kind of true HD programming, you'd know that it does look that much better.

I thought only 1080i was considered true HD signal (even though ABC does use 720p)...

Ferrarisimo said:

Uh, dude, uh, uh, uh, dude, uh, no dude, I don't think so. It's not a NIGHT AND DAY difference. I said that it's better, but not that much better. 1080i vs. 480p, maybe, but 720p? No.

Norse

RalliSport Challenge 2

And yes, 720p is way better than 480p....take a look at sega world series baseball in 720p..wow!

Any way, most of the dlp tvs convert everything to 720p so not sure how much of a difference one would notice on those sets...on my plasma, its "night and day"

robot

I have to repeat my previous post and say Amped 2 again, just because it looks that damn good.

jedimike

Dragon's Lair is absolutely gorgeous in 1080i. The game is a good platformer, but running it at 1080i makes the framerate drop.

DCX

DCX
- Metriod Prime
- Quantum Redshift
- Panzer Dragoodn Orta
- Tekken 4
- F-Zero
- Ninja Giaden

DCX

Ferrarisimo said:
:) That made me smile.

You're obviously up on your HD knowledge.

Obviously, I am. Would you like to contest the fact that 1080i looks better than 720p? Even with progressive sources this holds true.

But hey, as long as I can make people smile, then that's all that matters.

DCX

DCX
Actually as i understand it: 1080 line interlaced is really drawing 540 lines actually. Since interlaced is drawing one line and faking the next. 720P is 720 lines all drawn. So in theory.

720P>1080i(540)>480P>480i correct me if i'm wrong.

DCX

Well, 1080i is scanning at 60 fields per second, and 30 frames. It's not 540 lines, it displays the full 1920x1080 resolution, compared to 720p's 1280x720. Interlacing artifacts are the only detriment to 1080i. If you have a progressive source that's upconverted to 1080i, these are mostly eliminated. However, between a native 720p signal and a 1080i signal (that's being displayed on a monitor capable of displaying their native signals), the 720p can handle high motion scenes better, due to it's 60 fps nature.

Top Bottom