• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spends my money on RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

I'm upgrading my PC. It's an older computer and about the most intensive thing I run on it is WoW or Titan Quest. Motherboard is an ASUS A8N5X and, unfortunately, it only supports DDR 400 so I'm stuck with picking slow up some ass RAM. And before anyone asks, no I don't have the money to upgrade my mobo and processor to something that supports DDR2 so that's out. Really, I'm just looking for advice on which brand to buy. Wanting 2 GB (2x 1GB sticks) and no overclocking, so heat spreaders don't really matter. Need it to be from NewEgg since that's where I have gift cards to.

OCZ Platinum :: $65 w/ $30 MIR + shipping:

G.SKILL :: $55 w/ Free Shipping:

The same G.SKILL RAM w/o heat spreaders? :: $43 + shipping:

CORSAIR XMS :: $75 w/ $30 MIR and Free Shipping:

CORSAIR :: $70 w/ $40 MIR + shipping:

I think I'd like the CORSAIR but I'm kind of leery about MIRs, so I'm leaning towards the G.SKILL with heat spreaders. Is comparable to the G.SKILL w/o heat spreaders price if you figure in shipping. Suggestions...thoughts...other brands? Thanks.

Oreoleo

Those are all solid brands. Get whichever stick has the lowest timings, though ultimately even that won't make that big of a difference. Heat spreaders are totally unnecessary for DDR1 RAM.

Edit: After looking at the links you posted, I'd go for either of the G.Skill sets (They aren't the same! Look at the timings and latency) or the OCZ if the price/MIR isn't too much of a setback for you. OCZ is top pick IMO.

zon

I don't know anything about G.SKILL (never even heard of it until now), but OCZ and Corsair are ace. Can't go wrong with RAM from those two.

Askani said:
I'm upgrading my PC. It's an older computer and about the most intensive thing I run on it is WoW or Titan Quest. Motherboard is an ASUS A8N5X and, unfortunately, it only supports DDR 400 so I'm stuck with picking slow up some ass RAM. And before anyone asks, no I don't have the money to upgrade my mobo and processor to something that supports DDR2 so that's out. Really, I'm just looking for advice on which brand to buy. Wanting 2 GB (2x 1GB sticks) and no overclocking, so heat spreaders don't really matter. Need it to be from NewEgg since that's where I have gift cards to.

OCZ Platinum :: $65 w/ $30 MIR + shipping:

G.SKILL :: $55 w/ Free Shipping:

The same G.SKILL RAM w/o heat spreaders? :: $43 + shipping:

CORSAIR XMS :: $75 w/ $30 MIR and Free Shipping:

CORSAIR :: $70 w/ $40 MIR + shipping:

I think I'd like the CORSAIR but I'm kind of leery about MIRs, so I'm leaning towards the G.SKILL with heat spreaders. Is comparable to the G.SKILL w/o heat spreaders price if you figure in shipping. Suggestions...thoughts...other brands? Thanks.

This cracked me up for some reason. :lol

My advice would be just to pick up the cheapest set out of the ones listed. Performance differences will be negligeable and really, you want to be putting as little money into that old rig as possible.

Oreoleo

brain_stew said:
This cracked me up for some reason. :lol

My advice would be just to pick up the cheapest set out of the ones listed. Performance differences will be negligeable and really, you want to be putting as little money into that old rig as possible.

Didn't really consider that but the man has a point.

Askani

Orellio said:
Didn't really consider that but the man has a point.

Hence my dilemma. I can go with the G.SKILL which is the cheapest if I don't figure in MIRs. CORSAIR is either the cheapest if I get the MIR but the most expensive if I don't. Wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't read about that MIR company screwing around with the manufacturer's money.

Probably just go with the G.SKILL better timings unless someone has a better suggestion. $20 is worth not having to worry about a MIR for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom