• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax announces "Blue Uru" is in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...blue-uru-film-with-honneamise-yamaga-sadamoto

Anime studio Gainax (Evangelion, Nadia) confirmed on Thursday that it is making an anime film of its long-dormant Blue Uru (Aoki Uru) project. Hiroyuki Yamaga is writing and directing the project with character designs by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Both had worked together in the same roles in the 1987 anime film Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise. The announcement was made on the first day of Tokyo International Anime Fair.

hRHLEUO.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Space_Force:_The_Wings_of_Honnêamise#Sequel

In March 1992, Gainax had begun planning and production of an anime movie called Aoki Uru ("Blue Uru"), which was to be a sequel to Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise set 50 years later (so as to be easier to pitch to investors[17]) which, like Oritsu, would follow a group of fighter pilots. Production would eventually cease in July 1993: a full-length anime movie was just beyond Gainax's financial ability – many of its core businesses were shutting down or producing minimal amounts of money:

"General Products had closed shop. We'd pulled out of Wonder Festival [a "flea market for garage kits"] and garage kit making altogether. We weren't taking on any subcontracting work for anime production. We did continue to make PC games – Akai had seen to that – but there wasn't a lot of work tossed our way. With mere pennies coming in, we were having a hard enough time just paying everyone's salaries. Finally the order came down for us to halt production on Aoki Uru. We were simply incapable of taking the project any further."[18]

With the failure of the project, Hideaki Anno, who had been slated from the beginning to direct Aoki Uru, was freed up. Legendarily, he would soon agree to a collaboration between King Records and Gainax while drinking with Toshimichi Ōtsuki, a representative at King;[19] with King Records guaranteeing a time slot, Anno set about making the anime. Unsurprisingly, elements of Aoki Uru were incorporated into the nascent Neon Genesis Evangelion:

"One of the key themes in Aoki Uru had been "not running away." In the story, the main character is faced with the daunting task of saving the heroine … He ran away from something in the past, so he decides that this time he will stand his ground. The same theme was carried over into Evangelion, but I think it was something more than just transposing one show's theme onto another …"[20]

It's happening dot gif

Eusis

Hope they get Honneamise available again. Though it really just sucked period that Bandai folded as an American Anime distributor very shortly after blu-ray caught on.

hooooooooly fuck

put it in my veins

Wings of Honneamise is one of my favorite Anime flicks of all time.

Of. All. TIME. *hugs blu-ray version*

tokkun

I remember Manga Entertainment had the full movie available for free streaming on their website back in the 90s, back when the concept of streaming video was still pretty new. I wonder why they did that.

I'm not really much into anime anymore, but Royal Space Force is amazing. I picked up the out of print Blu-ray on Ebay last year and it still holds up. Just a beautiful movie.

I'm very excited to see how this pans out.

Edit: Damn you avatar, Branduil. I want Macross Plus on Blu-ray too :(

Ezalc

Please be full of hand-animated mechanical planes and not modern Gainax CGI.

I really hope it's hand animated, but I doubt it. They should make it like Redline, except with planes. That'd be fucking awesome. I mean the animation not the story.

Jacob

I'm a huge Royal Space Force fan. I was fortunate enough to find the Blu-ray on eBay and I leapt at the chance to get it. It's a great and gorgeous movie and I'm very excited at this news. :D However...

Please be full of hand-animated mechanical planes and not modern Gainax CGI.

This post reminded me how likely CGI is in this. :(

Branduil

I remember Manga Entertainment had the full movie available for free streaming on their website back in the 90s, back when the concept of streaming video was still pretty new. I wonder why they did that.

LOL how did that even work with 56kb download speeds? Must have been like a 120p stream.

tokkun

LOL how did that even work with 56kb download speeds? Must have been like a 120p stream.

Back in the mid-90s we had this streaming video format called VIVO (they would later get acquired by RealNetworks and become RealMedia/RealVideo). There was a brief period of time when the anime community got really hyped about VIVO. The file sizes were like 10 MB per episode, so as you can imagine, they looked like absolute garbage, but at that size it was feasible to stream on a 56K modem.

Keep in mind that back then I would spend an entire day downloading a single 250 MB episode of Record of Lodoss War in MPEG-1 format, so people were willing to put up with some pretty shitty quality to have streaming.

Amagon

Too bad it will probably not be in the original animation style like its predecessor. But color me surprise by this news.

jett

D-Member
Wow what a coincidence, I just watched Wings of Honneamise a few days ago ago. Didn't like it much, but then again I guess I was expecting something else. Interested in seeing what comes out of this though.

Akahige

if only the original wasn't $50 for the blu-ray on amazon

they need to get Ryuichi Sakamoto to return for the music

Eusis

Too bad it will probably not be in the original animation style like its predecessor. But color me surprise by this news.
Yeah, I would kind of expect a Gunbuster to Diebuster change here. But if it can be more like Evangelion in that it's just a modern take on that art style that'd be good. But they've made a decent bit off of fanservice, and they're probably going to look into that to get people to pay attention, and so that would probably make them want to change the art style.

Oh man great news! I love Wings over Honneamise. Such a classic movie.

Also maybe it will mean a reprint of Honneamise on Blu-Ray so I won't have to pay a ridiculous amount for a copy of it.

Mik2121

Why is art of this specific era so beautiful? I can't quite put my finger on why modern anime looks different.

Because the color selection is usually terrible and the shading makes everything look like it's made out of plastic. That's probably why.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Could be good if they actually get all the original staff. GAINAX's current form doesn't excite me.
whats with the recent revival of old stuff?
Anime is getting as creatively bankrupt as Hollywood.

Not that I'm complaining in this instance!

duckroll

The news report on it carried by Mainichi claims that Gainax is planning a simultaneous worldwide release for Blue Uru, but they haven't announced any specific release window or details yet. I also posted in the anime thread that this news actually first surfaced yesterday night in Japan at a casual creators event with Osamu Kobayashi where he was with a few of his friends from Gainax (Sadamoto and Yamaga were both there) and they let it slip that they would be announcing Blue Uru at TAF the next day. Sadamoto apparently also said that the Eva manga was ending soon, and after that he would be preparing to serialize the Blue Uru manga himself in the same magazine.

Really hope this doesn't collapse, because it's been a really exciting concept since.... the 90s. Lol. T_T

Branduil

The news report on it carried by Mainichi claims that Gainax is planning a simultaneous worldwide release for Blue Uru, but they haven't announced any specific release window or details yet. I also posted in the anime thread that this news actually first surfaced yesterday night in Japan at a casual creators event with Osamu Kobayashi where he was with a few of his friends from Gainax (Sadamoto and Yamaga were both there) and they let it slip that they would be announcing Blue Uru at TAF the next day. Sadamoto apparently also said that the Eva manga was ending soon, and after that he would be preparing to serialize the Blue Uru manga himself in the same magazine.

Really hope this doesn't collapse, because it's been a really exciting concept since.... the 90s. Lol. T_T

That seems rather insane.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why is art of this specific era so beautiful? I can't quite put my finger on why modern anime looks different.
I'm gonna chalk this up to Sadamoto being a great artist. It's just that he hasn't had the need to draw any mecha since, shit, Diebuster?

This is gonna bomb so hard.

duckroll

SHAFT leading the way to the future.

Although I'm not sure I'd call "opening in a couple American theaters" a worldwide release.

It's totally considered a worldwide release. It wasn't just America. They had it all over Asia and Europe as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom