• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the Year so far?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Has to have been released already, obviously. Should be good for a laugh.

My vote, UT2K4. Completely blows every other game this year out of the water, bar none. Tons of great modes, tons of great mods, awesome graphics. :0 Great game.

Meier

Probably Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Ninja Gaiden was very good but ultimately incredibly forgettable for me.

Pimpbaa

Far Cry, Thief DS, or even perhaps Ninja Gaiden. Although my personal choices will most likely change by the end of this year.

robot

bigs up to ninny g! and breakdown is def my sleeper hit of the year so far.

and because everyone loves screens:

ninjagaiden_e_022504_046.jpg

breakdown_100703_16.jpg

This is a tough one. Lots of good games this year.

Ninja Gaiden is definitely in the running. For me, there's no better action game ever made. Its beautiful. Its old school with new technology. Just a great game.

Fight Night is a game that could have been in the running, if it had a few more tweaks. The parrying has to go, as well as the button control. Put a better creation mode, and the ability to edit boxers stats as well. That being said, its the best boxing game I ever played...and my online matches with everyone here was some of the best online gaming I've played.

RSC2 is the finest racer I've played. It also feels like the most together title on consolers this year. Its hard to explain, but everything about it works. It feels so damn solid.

In the end though, I give GOTY to UT2004 . Amazing agme that I would still be playing if I was sickened at my poor performance on onslaught maps. When I get a better pc, I'll be reinstalling this son of a bitch. One of the best FPS out there with a huge amount of mods. So much fun when your in a game with people you know.

Socreges

Banned
Winning Eleven 7 or Metroid

Haven't tried either Ninja Gaiden or Riddick, though. I have a feeling I'd really like Riddick.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nothing yet I've played deserves it.

Though Ninja Gaiden would probably be closest if I HAD to toss out a vote.

Four Swords being the best 8-grade game I've played right behind it, next to Maximo 2. UT2k4 is cool too even if I only seem to ever touch it for GAF organized games. DQ5 remix would DEFINATELY be up there.

Lotsa neat 7-ish stuff tho so far in 2k4:

-Sam Warriors
-Thief
-Oni 3
-Nightshade
-Farcry
-Crimson Sea 2
-Riddick (It's not THAT good people!)
-R-Type Final

I'd love to give it to Fire Emblem which I am playing right now...but you know.

Andy787

Banned
So many excellent games already, but I don't think one single game stands so far ahead outside of it's particular forte, to give a clear winner yet.

LoZ: Four Swords
Metroid: Zero Mission
MGS: Twin Snakes
Far Cry
Unreal 2004
Rallisport 2
Mario vs Donkey Kong

Still haven't played Riddick, FSW, Red Dead Revolver, Shining Force, Mario Golf, etc, either.

Ditto - the only clear cut choice for me right now is Far Cry, and as much as I like the game, the way it falls apart halfway through is enough to eliminate it from contention.

I'm pretty confident Q4 is going to produce the winner; I give less and less of a damn about GTA with every choppy iteration, but MGS3, RE4, Half Life 2, and Megaten make for a pretty inspiring set of choices.

Hellraizah

Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow.....the online play is just crazy. I d give a special mention to Metal Slug 3 too, even tough it's a couple years old game.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Hellraizah said:
Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow.....the online play is just crazy. I d give a special mention to Metal Slug 3 too, even tough it's a couple years old game.

Agreed, but the single-player game is bleh. I wouldn't vote for it specifically for that reason. If I had to vote though I'd give it to Far Cry.

MoxManiac

Samurai Warriors for me, probably because i haven't gotten Riddick, NG, or about 10 other games mentioned in this thread yet.

Only games this year that have particularly impressed me were

Mario & Donkey Kong

Metroid Zero Mission

of course, I just started 4 Swords and Shining Force, and those have both impressed so far

I mainly play RPGs, so I have mainly been playing last year's so far. That will soon change, no doubt

pops619

I'm going to have to say Four Swords. I don't play games much anymore, but this still has me hooked. Lots and lots of fun with other people.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ninja gaiden in a rout. katamari damashii was terrific in a totally different way, but ultimately too short lived - i've probably spent more time with the soundtrack than the game. mario vs. donkey kong is probably third best.

espgaluda should take the top spot when it shows up in a few days. and gradius could very well bump espgaluda in a month. good year so far.

drohne said:
espgaluda should take the top spot when it shows up in a few days.

Kinda funny you should mention that right after saying Katamari is too short-lived, considering both are relatively quick play-throughs with the true value/fun based in replaying them for points. I played through Espgaluda today in 30 minutes - at least Katamari took 10 or so hours! :D

That said, both completely rock, and Katamari gets my GOTY-so-far vote, as well as my album of the year vote.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Hmmm. I'd have to say Ninja Gaiden. Even when I was hating it because I wasn't as good as many folks at it, I was impressed by it. It's one of the most impressive games I've ever played. My expectations were really high for the title and it blew them away.

I give big respect to Riddick and Rallisport 2 (my favorite console racing game probably) as well. Onimusha was close, but it's heights were not sustained through the whole game.

I think ultimately NG is the only one that will hang with the best of the best at the end of the year.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
never got into playing katamari for score, or rather size. for me the fun of the game was in rolling things up indiscriminately and causing chaos; that fun sort of withers under the glare of high scores and methodical play. it's certainly a more artful and inspired game than something like ninja gaiden, but i dunno...there's something impressive about ninja gaiden's sheer size.

i really, really love the soundtrack, though.

Top Bottom