• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube AC Adapter thingies question

cvxfreak

Would it be OK if I used a Japanese GC AC Adapter plug on a US GameCube system? Just making sure so I don't fry the system by mistake...

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
CVXFREAK said:
Would it be OK if I used a Japanese GC AC Adapter plug on a US GameCube system? Just making sure so I don't fry the system by mistake...

That would be a very bad idea.

sasimirobot

Actually you might be able to get away with it. Japanese electronics run on 100V while America is 120V.

Generally, this difference is inconsequential, as most appliances are built to tolerate current a certain percentage above or below the rated voltage.

If you are using an american Cube in Japan it should not be a problem, the other way around (japanese Cube in America) should still be OK from what I have heard.

My friend bought a mini-MP3 player in Akihabara and asked about this same thing, the answer he got was "it should be ok but long term use may damage extremely sensitive electronics".

The AC adapter is built to take the damage of incorrect Voltage, I made the mistake of plugging a Japanese Cube into a Thai outlet (220V!!) and it fried and burn the Adapter but the Cube turned out to be fine after I got a replacement.

cvxfreak

Wow, this is interesting. I'm taking a Japanese Spice Cube along with a JP PS2 to the Philippines for the rest of July. I hope the PI makes them work but I'll buy a converter just in case.

sasimirobot

You have Spice Cube , cool me too!

I forget, you said you were taking a trip to Japan right? If you end up in BKK (bangkok, central hub for asian travel) airport for any reason let me know, Im down to show you the game scene here.

cvxfreak

I already had my trip in Japan last week. ^_^ Next up is the Philippines.

My mother wanted to go to Bangkok actually, but it didn't work out. :( We're heading for Hong Kong instead, sorry to say. Thanks for your offer though, truly appreciated. :)

Top Bottom