• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamecube - what else?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After another thread, it got me thinking...

There are plenty of kickass titles on the horizon for the GC, but one thing I always enjoy about a console is digging up lost titles (ie - games that I missed). Someone claimed I was crazy for only owning 15 games (16 if you count the Zelda bonus disc) and I honestly couldn't figure out why. I've seen people dismiss the PS2 for similar reasons before (though I would never trade away a system), and I don't wish to do the same for GC.

Here is my current collection of GC titles....

Billy Hatcher
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
Zelda OoT
Zelda WW
Megaman Network Transmission
Metal Gear Solid TTS
Metroid Prime
PN03
Pikmin
Skies of Arcadia Legend
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
Star Fox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Viewtiful Joe

Now, there are additional quality games out there I know, but there are reasons for not owning them. I've rented 4 Swords and LOVED it, but I've finished it. I did not buy it due to the GBA requirements and assumptions that it wouldn't be a great single player title (which it was!).

SMB was great fun, but the sequel actually isn't as exciting. It seems too focused on multiplay and gimmicky mini-games. Is this true?

I've rented and loved Waverace as well and I would buy this for a cheaper price, but it is difficult to find.

I might consider Resident Evil Remake sometime (as I enjoyed my short time with it AND the Type-C controls are great), but I generally don't care for Capcom adventures (and never finish them as a result). RE0 is not a very good game though, so I won't be grabbing that. I could care less about Factor 5's efforts (only the visuals tempt me), don't want Animal Crossing, don't like Mario Kart DD or Smash Bros very much, and most multiplatform games are more appealing on other systems (as they generally have more features). I actually LOVE my Cube collection (all of those games are very good IMO!), but I seriously can not think of any additional titles that I want to buy. However, people here own tons of GC games. Like I've said, I own a LOT of PS2 titles (98). That says to me that I've simply overlooked some quality titles on the Cube. I don't expect the list to grow that large, but I'm curious to know what I might have missed.

One reason is that I always keep an eye out for deals, but I rarely look at the GC section anymore as I didn't really feel there was much there.

The system DOES have a solid upcoming lineup, though. ToS, BK, RE4, Pikmin 2, etc. all look hot. A friend of mine actually turned me onto Pikmin not more than a couple months ago and I was SHOCKED at how much fun it actually was!

I'm also interested in hearing similar situations with other systems. For example, those with a PS2 who claim to have played all of the good titles and want to trade it in. I'm just curious where this can go...

edit - whoops, I forgot Skies. So I have 17. :p

ourumov

My situation is very similar to yours:

1.Super Monkey Ball.
2.Resident Evil.
3.Bomberman Generations.
4.Capcom vs SNK 2:Millionaire Fighting 2001.
5.Super Smash Bros Melee.
6.Rogue Leader.
7.Pikmin.
8.Resident Evil Zero.
9.Metroid Prime
10.Zelda: The Wind Wakker.
11.Godzilla: DAMM.
12.Skies of Arcadia.
13.F-Zero GX.
14.Viewtiful Joe.
15.Soul Calibur II.
16.Megaman Network Transmission.
17.P.N.03.

I haven't bought a GC game since December. I was determined to buy TTS but the impressions from GA made me spend the money on other things. So far there is just one game (confirmed for PAL release) I want to buy and that's Pikmin 2.
Tales of Simphony and Baten Kaitos would be also on the list if I was sure they would be released here, which I doubt.

Anyways, Mario Kart is a game I didn't like from the beginning. I enjoyed a lot Super Mario Kart and MK 64 (although 64 was not as good as the first one) but when I saw the first screenshots of DD I couldn't like it...And the 2 drivers idea is sth it really doesn't interest me...
A cool alternative was Kirby but since there is just one person that likes it...it made me wonder if it was a good idea to spend 60€ on it.

dark10x

beerbelly said:
Maybe you can give Super Smash Brothers Melee a try. The graphics are surprisingly good. However I found the gameplay to be a bit more stale than the original even though this one has more mini games.

Mario Kart DD is another good one but it's very short, BAD multi-play stages and low replay value because the game is very easy.

Other than these two though, there's not much else that's out already. I'm a bit disapointed too.

Well, you see, I've played a decent amount of Smash (as I know many people who love it) and I just couldn't get into it. Same goes for Double Dash. They are decent fun, but I grew bored of them after only a short time...

I can't deny that they are good games, though.

edit - ah, so I guess you read the whole thing now eh? :p

Grubdog

Banned
I think RE0 is a great game. Anyway, what else? You want me to list every game I think is great on GameCube? Sure.

besides ones you've mentioned:

Pokemon Colloseum - Well, I love this game, but that's because I absolutely love Pokemon, I do think the RPG mode is great though, it looks pretty, it's fun, and it has a decent length.

1080: Avalanche - My favourite snowboarding game this gen (hell, ever!), nothing matches the adrenaline this game offers and it's amazing graphics. I love the gameplay mechanics, I will never get bored of this game.

Mario Golf - Awesome golf game, awesome multiplayer game. "Need a lesson, loser?"

Mario Party 5 - Also a great multiplayer game.

Sonic Mega Collection - If you like Sonic games, then your collection isn't complete without this.

Luigi's Mansion - I love this game! Everyone should play this, the gameplay isn't like anything else, so i can't really compare it to anything, but it's great! :p

All I can think of from the top of my head. Also, be sure to check out Paper Mario 2 when it comes out.

cvxfreak

I've bought almost every major GC release that recieves some sort of hype at least on this forum or on GameFAQs. I don't see why you won't try Animal Crossing; it's such a hit. Not liking Smash Bros. Melee, in my personal view, is an insult to decent gaming but that's just me.

ourumov

Yes, RE0 is a great game. I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try. I enjoyed it a lot. Plus Billy Cohen rocks.

cvxfreak

RE0's my favorite RE.

Not to sound conceited or anything, but coming from me of all people, that's saying a lot...

dark10x

Grubdog said:
I think RE0 is a great game. Anyway, what else? You want me to list every game I think is great on GameCube? Sure.

besides ones you've mentioned:

Pokemon Colloseum - Well, I love this game, but that's because I absolutely love Pokemon, I do think the RPG mode is great though, it looks pretty, it's fun, and it has a decent length.

1080: Avalanche - My favourite snowboarding game this gen (hell, ever!), nothing matches the adrenaline this game offers and it's amazing graphics. I love the gameplay mechanics, I will never get bored of this game.

Mario Golf - Awesome golf game, awesome multiplayer game. "Need a lesson, loser?"

Mario Party 5 - Also a great multiplayer game.

Sonic Mega Collection - If you like Sonic games, then your collection isn't complete without this.

Luigi's Mansion - I love this game! Everyone should play this, the gameplay isn't like anything else, so i can't really compare it to anything, but it's great! :p

All I can think of from the top of my head. Also, be sure to check out Paper Mario 2 when it comes out.

Ah, Luigi's Mansion. I actually have heard good things about that. I would certainly be interested in trying it sometime. I've heard it is a bit short and on the repetitive side, but is actually a lot of fun.

I haven't played enough 1080 to judge it, though. I wasn't impressed, but I think part of it was the result of the dodgy visuals. However, the sense of speed WAS fast. I've seen this dropping in price, perhaps I'll also give it a shot sometime.

The Mega Collection is good, but being a huge Sonic fan, I've played (and still play) the hell out of those games. I finished Sonic 2 at least once a month. :p

I've bought almost every major GC release that recieves some sort of hype at least on this forum or on GameFAQs. I don't see why you won't try Animal Crossing; it's such a hit. Not liking Smash Bros. Melee, in my personal view, is an insult to decent gaming but that's just me.

Being a hit earns no points from me. However, I respect AC for what it does. I've tried it once before, but it just didn't hold me. The thing about Smash is that everyone I've played the game with won't do anything but Hyrule Castle with 4 Links and no items. I've tried the other modes as well, but wasn't enthralled. Those long, boring battles with friends really were never exciting.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Definitely 1080: Avalanche. Especially if you liked Blue Storm. There will be a point in the game, where you will understand why the game is so special.

NO WAY OUT!

AirBrian

So I'm assuming you're only looking for GCN-exclusive titles?

Mario Golf: Toadstool's Tour (< $30)
1080: Avalanche (it's cheap now, < $20)
Luigi's Mansion (very underrated IMO)
Mario Party 5 (or 4 for cheap)

evil ways

My GC collection looks something like this:

1. Resident Evil
2. Resident Evil 0
3. Zelda Wind Waker
4. Metroid Prime
5. Super Mario Sunshine
6. Super Smash Brothers Melee
7. Zelda Collection
8. Beyond Good & Evil
9. Rogue Squadron II

I wish there were more games that caught my attention on GC, but I guess I'm already used to not expecting anything from it aside from the Marios and Zeldas.

dark10x

somnific said:
if you don't already have it for DC, every cube owner should own ikaruga.

That reminded me...

I also have Skies Legend, so I guess you can add one more to the list. I also have Skies for DC, though...but Legend was cheap. :p Of course, I've played plenty of Ikaruga on DC.

Grubdog

Banned
dark10x said:
Ah, Luigi's Mansion. I actually have heard good things about that. I would certainly be interested in trying it sometime. I've heard it is a bit short and on the repetitive side, but is actually a lot of fun.
Yeah, it's one of the few games i've finished multiple times just because it's so damn fun.

jarrod

Banned
Not mentioned so far...

-Cubivore
-Bloody Roar: Primal Fury
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
-Phantasy Star Online Episodes I&II (though the lus version is releasing this fall)
-Wario World
-Mystic Heroes
-Bomberman Generation
-Pac-Man World 2/Vs
-Gotcha Force
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Bust-A-Move 3000
-Mr Driller: Drill Land
-Naruto
-Hudson Selections Vol 1-4

...are all worthwhile games imo, and most can be found really cheap.

dark10x

-Cubivore - Tried it when it was Dobutsu Banchou and didn't like it.

-Bloody Roar: Primal Fury - I dislike this series quite a bit. You can't play BR after playing VF4 and SC2.

-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - I've tried to get into HM before, but it just isn't interesting to me.

-Phantasy Star Online Episodes I&II (though the lus version is releasing this fall) - Played enough of this on DC and online play is right out (fees + adaptors? No thanks...)

-Wario World - Short, easy, repetitive. Not a good game.

-Mystic Heroes - Potentially interested...

-Bomberman Generation - Never been a huge Bomberman fan (outside of some Saturn Bomberman fun)

-Pac-Man World 2/Vs - VS is appealing, but requires GBAs to enjoy.

-Gotcha Force - Not sure. Heard good and bad things...

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shit game.

-Bust-A-Move 3000
-Mr Driller: Drill Land - I'm not a big puzzle fan these days. I love Tetris and I've had some recent fun with Puyo Puyo Fever.

-Naruto - Simple game. I love the show, but I wouldn't shell out for this.

-Hudson Selections Vol 1-4 - Includes what?

AirBrian

CVXFREAK said:
I also find that each GC owner should invest in a copy of Beach Spikers and Wario Ware.
Ah, how could I forget about Beach Spikers! I highly recommend it -- it has simple (and intuitive) controls, but it's very deep. Plus, there is tons to unlock in the single-player mode, and the multi-player (up to 4) is a blast. You can find it for cheap as well.

dark10x

AirBrian said:
Ah, how could I forget about Beach Spikers! I highly recommend it -- it has simple (and intuitive) controls, but it's very deep. Plus, there is tons to unlock in the single-player mode, and the multi-player (up to 4) is a blast. You can find it for cheap as well.

I know this is an AM2 game, so it will obviously play differently, but how does it compare to Virtua Tennis? I absolutely loved VT on Dreamcast and wouldn't mind checking out a similar game...

I'd have to agree with the comment on 1080: Avalanche. The game is awesome.
Games also worthwhile:

Mr. Driller Land
Luigi's Mansion (HIGHLY UNDERRATED)
Beach Spikers (Cheap and awesome multiplayer)
Lost Kingdoms (this is a love or hate game but I love it)
Lost Kingdoms 2 (same for this one)
Sonic Mega Collection
Mario Golf
Pac Man VS.
Wario World
Cubivore
Harvest Moon
Naruto
Mario Party 4 or 5

For you though Dark, I would recommend 1080 avalanche, Luigis Mansion, Beach Spikers and Mario Golf.

dark10x

Lost Kingdoms (this is a love or hate game but I love it)

Card battles right? Hmm, not too sure...but MIGHT be worth trying sometime. Afterall, I somewhat enjoyed the original Evergrace despite the fact that it was trashed everywhere. LK is also a FROM title, right?

AirBrian

dark10x said:
I know this is an AM2 game, so it will obviously play differently, but how does it compare to Virtua Tennis? I absolutely loved VT on Dreamcast and wouldn't mind checking out a similar game...
I've never played VT, but from what I hear it plays very similar. I'm sure someone around here can verify.

MaddenNFL64

I've always wanted to play Cubivore, and that wierd yellow giant god game from Nintendo.

Aside from those, there isn't anything great you would have missed on the GC. All the real awesome stuff is knowledgeable to you by now.

Anyhow, get REmake & RE0. Yes, you mentioned you hated RE0, but get it anyway. Why? 'Cuz I said so, that's why.

Ikaruga (if you can find it), if you don't have it for the DC, is certainly worth the coin.

Rogue Leader, and Rebel Strike. RS2 is old, but it holds up so well, even today IMO. RS3 got knocked to shit for it's on-foot sections, but those last a few minutes at most. The flying/shooting sections are still pure gold. Plus Rogue Leader (Co-op version) is packed on the disc too. Oh, and the old arcade games too :).

dark10x said:
Card battles right? Hmm, not too sure...but MIGHT be worth trying sometime. Afterall, I somewhat enjoyed the original Evergrace despite the fact that it was trashed everywhere. LK is also a FROM title, right?

Yeah, card battles. Not sure who makes it though... If you were to get one of these games, the second is much better. I had a good time with them both though. I actually bought and forgot about them for like 6 months. Lol. Then one rainy day I put them in and ended up playing the whole day. good fun... and cheap. :p

MaddenNFL64

From Software made it. I owned LK, but I never really got into it.

They also made Lost Kingdoms 2 which I've read is much, much better.

Lost Kingdoms is actually a good niche title to try out. Go for LK2 though for the better experience.

EDIT: And it's not card battles. Think of them more as summons. You do all the fighting in real time too.

MaddenNFL64 said:
From Software made it. I owned LK, but I never really got into it.

They also made Lost Kingdoms 2 which I've read is much, much better.

Lost Kingdoms is actually a good niche title to try out. Go for LK2 though for the better experience.

EDIT: And it's not card battles. Think of them more as summons. You do all the fighting in real time too.

yeah he pretty much covers it. What makes it fun is all the creatures you collect and use in battle. There's a ton.

Grubdog

Banned
I've always wanted to play Cubivore, and that wierd yellow giant god game from Nintendo.
Doshin the Giant!

2002-03-19-doshin9_thumb.jpg
2002-03-19-doshin7_thumb.jpg
2002-03-19-doshin29_thumb.jpg
2002-03-19-doshin28_thumb.jpg
2002-03-19-doshin23_thumb.jpg
2002-03-19-doshin6_thumb.jpg
2002-03-19-doshin25_thumb.jpg
doshin2_thumb.jpg

I've been wanting to play this for ages, i'm very tempted to import this from Europe. I wish NAL would release this game in Australia, a PAL version already exists, all they have to do is release it. :(

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
-Bloody Roar: Primal Fury - I dislike this series quite a bit. You can't play BR after playing VF4 and SC2.
Sure you can, just like you could enjoy Fighting Vipers after playing VF2 a decade ago. I think the BR series is flashy simple fun, it's like the 3D version of Capcom's Marvel fighters. Over the top, easily accessable but rather shallow too. It's also a nice substitute for Fighting Vipers now that AM2 have seemingly abandoned the series and makes nice compliment to the more serious fighters.

dark10x said:
-Phantasy Star Online Episodes I&II (though the lus version is releasing this fall) - Played enough of this on DC and online play is right out (fees + adaptors? No thanks...)
If you play with friends, PSO is still a worthwhile offline purchase. That's the only way I've played it actually.

dark10x said:
-Wario World - Short, easy, repetitive. Not a good game.
Eh, Wario's better than people give it credit for. It's a fun BEU/platform hybrid and worth $20 at least.

dark10x said:
-Mystic Heroes - Potentially interested...
Think of a simpler, more spell focused cutesy Dynasty Warriors. Not a great game but decent multiplayer fun.

dark10x said:
-Bomberman Generation - Never been a huge Bomberman fan (outside of some Saturn Bomberman fun)
Then skip these, nothing compares to Saturn Bomberman.

-
dark10x said:
Gotcha Force - Not sure. Heard good and bad things...
It's better than Custom Robo that's for sure. Funny though that the game got damned at E3 2003 for suppossedly not being as good as Custom Robo (and that reputation sorta stuck). Think of a simpler Virtual On mixed with PowerStone and you've got a good idea how this plays.

dark10x said:
-Bust-A-Move 3000
-Mr Driller: Drill Land - I'm not a big puzzle fan these days. I love Tetris and I've had some recent fun with Puyo Puyo Fever.
Drill Land is excellent (from what little I've played). BAM3000 is essentially the same game as Super BAM2 on PS2 though.

dark10x said:
-Naruto - Simple game. I love the show, but I wouldn't shell out for this.
If you don't like Bloody Roar, you won't like this. It's from the same team (Eighting, of various 2D Shooter and Kururin fame) and uses the same simplified VF/FV engine. Naruto 2 is 4 players though and probably one of the best party fighters out there.

dark10x said:
-Hudson Selections Vol 1-4 - Includes what?
Cubic Lode Runner, Star Soldier, Bonk and Adventure Island.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Two I would recommend:

1080:Avalanche(cheap!)
Wave Race: Blue Storm(cheaper!)

Im sure you could find them somewhere.

Both are highly underrated IMO, and some of the best games on the Gamecube.

Oh yeah, and Mario Golf.

Cyan said:
Well, the only games I have that you don't are Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and multiplatform titles. I can't think of many other games I've played...

Oh yeah. Rent Luigi's Mansion. It takes about 5-6 hours to beat. So unless you plan to play through it multiple times (which, I'll admit, I did-- I borrowed it from a friend the second time), it's not really worth buying.

IWATP

You should definately get REmake though. RE0 wasn't as good as REmake but if you finish and enjoy REmake I would recommend getting it.

I have Burnout 1 and 2 also for my Cube but now that I have an Xbox I really want the Xbox versions as the multiplayer is 60FPS. I'm really not that fussed over the other advantages the Xbox version has.

Wave Race and 1080 are not bad but they didn't offer anywhere near the replayability of the 64 versions. Maybe its just because I have way more games to play these days compared to my N64 only days.

dark10x

I have Burnout 1 and 2 also for my Cube but now that I have an Xbox I really want the Xbox versions as the multiplayer is 60FPS. I'm really not that fussed over the other advantages the Xbox version has.

As with many other games, the custom soundtrack option is a BIG deal to me. With a racing game, music is extremely important when it comes to driving you. You could just toss on a CD in the background, but it doesn't meld well with the game. The default BO2 music simply sucks too.

Flying through the streets listening to Initial D music is pretty damn sweet and pumps you up. :p

dark10x said:
As with many other games, the custom soundtrack option is a BIG deal to me. With a racing game, music is extremely important when it comes to driving you. You could just toss on a CD in the background, but it doesn't meld well with the game. The default BO2 music simply sucks too.

Flying through the streets listening to Initial D music is pretty damn sweet and pumps you up. :p

Actually I have yet to play with a custom soundtrack so my opinion will probably change. The 60FPS splitscreen multiplayer is still by far the best exclusive inclusion to the Xbox version since I never really play Burnout games single player after I unlock everything. Play a huge amount of multiplayer.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
When I see threads like these, I'm glad I don't have too much time to play videogames. ;)

*returns to trying to beat some cups on Master in F-Zero GX*

MaddenNFL64

Ghost said:
Whats with the lack of multiplatform......

Buy Metal Arms.

It's exclusives that are named in these kinds of threads, so it's understandable. There are many MP games worth getting for it though if you're willing to play them on your purple (or black) lunch box. Most are always a step above the PS2 in most categories, so unless you have a hard-on for the green box, you'll find lots of gaming love.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Forget about Mystic Heroes, dark...if anything, get the PS2 version, which had some improvements.

I'd recommend Beach Spikers; you should be able to get it cheap, and it's still the best-playing volleyball game available. It's just as addicting and fun as Virtua Tennis, IMO. Other than that, definitely get the first Resident Evil if you haven't already played it, and give RE0 a look as well. I couldn't get into it, but you may very well enjoy it. Avoid multiplatform releases (they're better on Xbox. :p), and avoid Animal Crossing...it gets incredibly boring and repetitive after a short time, IMO.

Don't forget about Tales Of Symphonia this week. :)

I'm really enjoying REmake as I borrowed my friends copy, and the controls don't bother me as much as I thought they would. I hope to beat it before 4 hits.

Solid

RE Zero.

It's not as good as the other RE titles but still worth running through. I beat it last week, and if I had to rate it I'd give it a 7.5/10. I expected more story in the game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my gc collection is similar:

super monkey ball
wave race
pikmin
mario sunshine
zelda
metroid prime
f zero
sonic heroes
wario world
pn03
viewtiful joe
metal gear solid: the twin snakes

and, er...honestly i think that's pretty much all the system has to offer. mario golf rocks, but i've already played through it, so i'm waiting for it to hit $20. and i guess i'd like to pick up monkey ball 2 and billy hatcher at some point. i'm considering importing drill land. and i wouldn't mind picking up a copy of dragon drive just cos it's treasure developed. but yeah. i really don't understand how some people have dozens of gc games. but then i guess they were the same people who had dozens of n64 games.

Well looking at my gaming collection, I could only recommend Gladius (which you might have for Xbox, but if you don't, get it for GC.) and Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2. I wasn't expecting much out of LK at all when I first played it, knowing From's track record. I was quite surprised to say the least. Not the greatest game ever but quite a fun romp, especially if you like building a card deck.

Note: if you don't like Card RPGs you may not like Baten Kaitos, which though it is a bit "lighter" than LK, it still has many elements in common in a CRPG rather than a traditional one.

Oh and FF:CC is better than Zelda: Four Swords, though they're both great games.

I'm not joking. Zelda uses the AGB gimmick MUCH better, but it only lasted less than 8 levels. Plus you never kept hearts, etc.

FFCC had more character building, more dungeons, the 3 phases for each dungeon. My partners and I played over 110 hours of FFCC on our first file. Zelda barely lasted 10.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Well, I own less GC games than you do, but I would recommend Gotcha Force and Cubivore. Neither are flawless but they are interesting and GF is indeed 10x as good as Custom Robo. I also like Lost Kingdoms 2 but it's not a "great" game. There's a ton of average titles on the system and I think those are the ones that get pumped into must haves. I don't know how 1080 or PN03 get on that list.

Ristamar

drohne said:
but yeah. i really don't understand how some people have dozens of gc games. but then i guess they were the same people who had dozens of n64 games.

Eh, the GC third party support isn't stellar, but it's not that bad. Not even close to N64 bad.

Top Bottom