• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameOn NY Update

This is like E3 but in New York. Starts on Oct. 14-17 2004.

GameOn

GameOn NY is the first and only New York City based consumer video game show to showcase the hottest new games, hardware and accessories to a broad mass-market & gaming audience. Attendees will have the opportunity to try products and compete in tournaments to win cash and prizes. GameOn NY is the official gaming pavilion of DigitalLife. DigitalLife is the four day exposition showcasing the latest in digital technology and the digital culture.

Attendees
GameOn NY & DigitalLife expect to host over 50,000 general technology enthusiasts and avid console and PC gamers during the four-day event and to reach millions more through tournaments and marketing efforts.

Venue
Being hosted in the largest convention center in New York City, GameOn NY @ DigitalLife will transform the Javits Center's Crystal Palace into a digital playground.

Tournaments
Tournaments will feature the hottest action and sports titles on all major platforms where competitors will have a chance to win major prizes and cash. Pre-qualifying rounds will be held months in advance. Register now for more information.

Entertainment
The GameOn NY Gamers Lounge will feature live entertainment & celebrity appearances.

aparisi2274

I see they moved it up a month. It was supposed to be:

Show date: November 12-14, 2004
Show hours: Friday: 12-6 --- Saturday: 10-6 --- Sunday: 10-3
Address: 7th Avenue at 31st - 33rd Street - New York City, NY 10001

Now its:

Show date: October 14-17, 2004
Show hours: TBA
Address: 655 West 34th Street, New York - New York City, NY 10001

Joe

it's pretty much e3 but for the general public. and i expect everything to be there since it is the media capital of the world.

neptunes

I live in ontario (just north of NY) and I'm contemplating on whether or not I should go.

Will it be good :) ?

4 days too?!?

For a show of its kind, I guess Javits is better, though I still think moving it away from MSG is a bad move.

Still, I'll believe it's all for real when I'm actually there.

Vieo

I live in Brooklyn. I could hop on the A Train and be there in about 15 to 25 minutes. I wonder if anyone can go or do you have to be someone important.

aparisi2274

open to the public. There will be admission fee's so be prepared. Just think of this as the NY Auto Show, but for videogames.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm not paying money to get in until I know who/what will be there, as far as companies/products are concerned.

aparisi2274

I think it was something like $20 for all 4 days and then $5 a day. I could be wrong, but when I pre-registered they had pricing, and I think that was it.

aparisi2274

Here is the official Press Release:

NEW YORK, July 19, 2004 -- Ziff Davis Media announced today that its new consumer event, DigitalLife, has joined forces with GameOn® NY to create a Gaming Pavilion at the event to capture the huge appetite consumers have for interactive entertainment. DigitalLife is a brand new four-day consumer event, which takes advantage of the holiday buying season, and will showcase the latest digital technology for the home, work and play. The event is scheduled to be held October 14-17, 2004 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.

GameOn NY, a division of Expo International, was originally scheduled for November 12-14, 2004 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The show will now be held one month earlier at DigitalLife and will relocate to the Javits Center.

"GameOn NY reaches core and casual gamers, early adopters and influencers, which are perfect for DigitalLife," said Jim Hasl, Vice President, Event Marketing Group. "DigitalLife will feature not only the latest in gadgets, music and movies but will also highlight prominently videogames, one of the hottest interactive entertainment sectors. DigitalLife and GameOn NY will play an important role, impacting both consumer and retail buying decisions, making it the premiere event to take advantage of the holiday buying season."

GameOn NY, a division of Expo International, will allow attendees to try new and unreleased videogame products; engage in exciting cash and prize-based tournaments, and enjoy live music and celebrity appearances. DigitalLife will feature some of the leading videogame companies and publications serving the industry.

Microsoft's Xbox is the official gaming partner for the event and will allow attendees to experience and try out new videogames serving that platform. Ziff Davis' Game Group which publishes the number one videogame publications will serve as the official videogame media sponsor of the event. Award-winning editors from Electronic Gaming Monthly, Computer Gaming World, Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine, Xbox Nation and GMR will be on-hand to offer advice and provide consumers with reviews, and tips and tricks about the latest videogames hitting the market.

"By combing every major component of success -- consumer demand and access, top interactive entertainment systems and software, and premier retail and editorial presence -- GameOn NY DigitalLife will become the premier event serving the industry," said Michael Alchus, Event Director, GameOn NY.

You can register for GameOn NY by visiting http://www.gameonny.com.

I see that Microsfot is the offical gaming partner, so I wonder if Sony or Nintendo will have anything there, or if this is going to turn into a big MS orgyfest.

If it is a Microsoft orgyfest then I will kill myself, I want to see an E3 like event just close to home...and cheap....all consoles covered and represented or nothing....

neptunes

If you read the site there will be tournaments for pc games, so expect a section where people will bring their modded pc's with neon lights and all that jazz.

Agent X

aparisi2274 said:
I see that Microsfot is the offical gaming partner, so I wonder if Sony or Nintendo will have anything there, or if this is going to turn into a big MS orgyfest.

Well that just about wraps it up.

If there's no Sony or Nintendo stuff there, and it's just going to be all X-Box video games, then I have no interest in attending.

Agent X said:
Well that just about wraps it up.

If there's no Sony or Nintendo stuff there, and it's just going to be all X-Box video games, then I have no interest in attending.

Couldn't agree more.

Priz

neptunes said:
will the NDS or PSP be there? or is it just people showing off their modded pc's? :(

Nintendo doesn't do shows that charge money to attend, when they have their own free events. Sony is very picky on what shows they attend, so I'm going to say the answers are no and no. Oh, and yes. :)

My guess is, since they haven't announced anything as far as exhibitors or events yet that it'll do as well as the original UGExpo. When Der Wienerschnitzel gets signed on as an exhibitor, we know things are bad. :)

If they use TGS's way of numbering attendees, then maybe we'll see a number going anywhere near 50,000. (US Convention numbering - person with a 1 day pass = 1 attendee. person with a 4 day pass - 1 attendee. TGS/Japanese Event numbering - person who attends for 4 days - 4 attendees. I don't know if you had a in/out pass and you went offsite for lunch or something and came back if you'd be counted as 2 attendees for that day, though :) )

Right now, rough guess... 3-5000. 10,000 tops.

Top Bottom