• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming with wireless keyboards/mice

SKluck

Banned
Any of you have wireless mice or keyboards, what are your experiences with gaming with them?

I just got the MS Combo 3.0 the "comfort" one with the curvy keyboard. Damn fine set, except in BFV when I press w to go forward, it will just sometimes.... stop. As in disengage the key. But if I just hold it down to walk somewhere, I can do that for forever and just walk from beach to beach of an island. So I guess it has something to do with pressing different keys at the same time. But it happens most often with vehicles.

In airplanes, I always take off slow, I don't know why, but if I press forward, it will take a long ass time to go, longer than with my wired MS keyboard. Driving tanks, jeeps, planes, its like the vehicle will stall. Anyone have any experiences like this? Causes? Workarounds? What the fuck is up here?

Otherwise the set is ace, the mouse is fine for gaming, I have no complaints. Funny thing is I'm having more trouble with the keyboard, which requires less responsiveness to work 100%.

Pimpbaa

SKluck said:
Any of you have wireless mice or keyboards, what are your experiences with gaming with them?

I just got the MS Combo 3.0 the "comfort" one with the curvy keyboard. Damn fine set, except in BFV when I press w to go forward, it will just sometimes.... stop. As in disengage the key. But if I just hold it down to walk somewhere, I can do that for forever and just walk from beach to beach of an island. So I guess it has something to do with pressing different keys at the same time. But it happens most often with vehicles.

In airplanes, I always take off slow, I don't know why, but if I press forward, it will take a long ass time to go, longer than with my wired MS keyboard. Driving tanks, jeeps, planes, its like the vehicle will stall. Anyone have any experiences like this? Causes? Workarounds? What the fuck is up here?

Otherwise the set is ace, the mouse is fine for gaming, I have no complaints. Funny thing is I'm having more trouble with the keyboard, which requires less responsiveness to work 100%.

Only thing I can say bad about my wireless mouse is that it really sucks when I run out of battery power in the middle of an online gaming session.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What kind of range do these things have?

I was thinking of boxing in my PC to be neat and tidy, and just having mouse/keyboard in a drawer for bringing out when needed. Are they usable a few meters away?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The range is good enough since most monitors are < 20". 15 feet is what I get, w/ the signal weakening around the 10ft mark...

That said, you should go w/ Logitech as I have had no problems and I game a lot.

Batteries are the only thing, as the keyboard's performance degrades as the batteries get low.

You using RF or bluetooth?

SKluck

Banned
It's RF, brand new, I got it yesterday.

I ran the mskey.exe program and every so often there is an input called "Unknown keyboard input - 0x59". Maybe this is interrupting the keypresses? But in the program, that pops up and it continues on repeating the key if I hold one down. Maybe for some reason in BFV it puts a break in the keypress? I don't know what that this, seems like it is just a ping signal. But it only occurs if I and pressing keys.

Albeit it a little heavy, the mouse is perfect. I'm only like 3 feet from the reciever.

I have a MS wireless multimedia keyboard, and I like it plenty. When I'm just browsing at my PC, it's great to rest one hand on the trackball on the desk and kick your feet up, keyboard in your lap. I switch postions often, and I never have to worry about cords snagging, sagging or running out.

I'd say that my keyboard's performace is just the least bit flakey, since I find it easy to block the transmitter in th keyboard unit, say with a knee or a sheet. Sometimes I can control my PC like a stereo from across my house, and sometimes the receiver wants to be in line of sight to work. Now I keep the receiver behind me, so that I'm assured more range if I move back to my bed and the unit decides to act flakey.

I canot recall any problems using the board in PC games, but then, I used it only shortly before I upgraded.
N52.jpg

SKluck

Banned
noflyzone.jpg

Ok, so this is what the input looks like when I try to take off in an airplane in BFV. Same thing happens when walking, driving a jeep, whatever.

I press w to go forward. d to go right. a to go left. Then while I am doing that, w breaks. I never removed my finger or let up on w. It just breaks by itself. I don't know what could be causing this. It doesn't happen when I just hold down 1 button. Doesn't seem to happen in windows either. No matter what I do, in windows mskey never shows that happening. It seems like keys just randomly break.

I've switched usb ports, tried, ps2, placed the reciever right next to them, switched channels, reconnected, whatever. Nothing works.

Sledn

Wireless isn't bad for gaming, just make sure NOT to take wireless to LAN parties where other people have wireless. 16/17 people in the room have wireless keyboards/mice it becomes annoying fast.

Let me draw a picture.

"Hehe, they will never find me here." *starts to snipe players*

*Weapon starts firing automaticly*

"WTF?!?! NO!!!!!"

*position is given away and you're dead*

Hey, you will be saying, "Grrrrr..." too when it happens to you.

Top Bottom