• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA SP launched at $129? Huh? [1up]

BuddyC

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134324

The SP, an upgraded version of Nintendo's original GBA with improved lighting and more compact casing, debuted last year at $129, although its price rapidly fell to $99. It's held there for some months now, but Nintendo may be looking to spur GBA sales this holiday season, since it failed to meet its worldwide hardware shipment expectations in the fiscal year ending this March.

..wha? I remember snagging mine on launch day for $99, and the tone of the article seems to be the American price...

totalcrap.jpg

I figured it was just a typo... but this article makes it sound like the price fell due to lack of interest or something.

I got my cobalt on launch day for 99.99. Every store that was sold out of it had it for the same price.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It was $99.99 at launch. I think there were a few retailers who were selling it in bundles for $129.99, though.

I remember at my store, the hardware showed up (with authorization to sell) almost a week and a half before the actual launch. That ruled. We owned everybody else in the area. :D

It was never $129. It launched at $99. Just like the N64 launched at $199 not $249 like some crazy people think...and the original Game Boy launched at $99 WITH Tetris included and headphones...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
No, it was $99 USD when it was launched. Anyone saying otherwise is either crazy or was ripped off. I'd like to say the MSRP also reflected that price but I don't have access to that information.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/381/381613p1.html
January 06, 2003 - Nintendo today revealed a brand new version of the Game Boy Advance.

The unit, called the Game Boy Advance SP, will be a foldable version of the GBA that, most importantly, features a front-lit LCD screen that can be turned on and off during play. The GBA SP will be released in Japan on February 14th for 12,500 yen. The system will go on sale in the US this March 23rd, the two-year anniversary of the GBA system's Japanese release. The device will retail for $99 in the US, but it will not replace the current Game Boy Advance system.

It was only $149.99 Canadian at EB and Walmart when it came out here, and it has since dropped to $126.99. It was definately not $129 American at launch, since that would have meant about $170 Canadian here.

Meier

It was definitely $99.99. Got it and Pokémon Ruby together for like 130-something at EB then a $25 voucher.

luxsol

Craig Majaski said:
Just like the N64 launched at $199 not $249 like some crazy people think...
I hope you're joking.
I remember buying my N64 a couple of months after its release when they dropped the price to $199.

luxsol said:
I hope you're joking.
I remember buying my N64 a couple of months after its release when they dropped the price to $199.
N64 launched at $199US in late September 1996. Mid-March 1997 it went to $149US.

Top Bottom