• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Video Impressions/Review

cvxfreak

Before I get started...

Yes, this product is NOT a portable DVD Player. Yes it will be inferior in quality. Yes it may seem expensive. Yes yes yes yes yes!!! :p

I have a long flight coming up so I thought I'd purchase three editions of the GBA Movie format Majesco/Nintendo released. I bought the YuGiOh edition alongside the two Pokemon editions. I tried using the GBA Player but you'll come at a dead end screen saying "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH GAMEBOY PLAYER."

Video-quality wise, you'll notice pixelization and color loss from the TV editions. However, you can see everything clear enough so you know what's going on. The movies themselves resemble their original editions quite-well. There's hardly been any obvious cropping; everything is sized down very well. Animations are also on par with their original editions; there's no slowdown and everything is smooth. Not sure about the technical framerates, but you won't complain. In the Pokemon episodes, the action is fast paced but the GBA just keeps things going very well.

Sound-wise, your surroundings might be too loud for you to hear things clearly. Headphones are recommended. The GBA's speaker does a great job at the sound. It's not surround sound and the quality isn't THAT high, but GBA its great. All the voices are the same as their counterparts from TV and they sound exactly as they did. No sounds have been cut out. There is a hint of a little tinny noise here and there, but it probably won't bother you much. With headphones you should be able to hear the videos perfectly.

For the price as you know, $20 lands you two episodes, 44 minutes each. On the road, assuming you don't drive, or in the skies, this will actually last you a good amount of time, especially if you have two or three video cartridges. I feel though that the forum's age group is a little too high for what they offer (cartoons essentially). I'm a pretty flexible person though; I'll see the cutest, kiddiest things or the most gruesome, sexual or violent stuff. I recommend it only to small children or flexible TV watchers.

7/10

I'm extremely curious now as to what the hell Nintendo did to make them Player incompatible. From what I've seen of the GBAP board itself, I can only speculate that this was a conscious choice on Nintendo's part - the video cart isn't incompatible, just disabled for GBAP use (probably for infringing on non portable video rights)

cvxfreak

It's probably because they would look like crap when enlarged. Plus, their rights would be infringed, there's always that. There are ROMs of GBA video available and I'm curious to see them...

I'm picking up the Sonic and Pokemon carts as they come. According to Nintendo they plan to release full-length movies very soon. I'm hoping they plan to release the newer Pokemon movies on this format. That right there would kill a local flight.

atomsk

Party Pooper
yeah, i read something about majesco and nintendo working on larger size carts, and that they had full length movies running...

i can only hope for Finding Nemo... the kid would LOVE having that portable

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heh, the only one I would ever dream of watching would be Sonic X...but I've already watched a lot of that show last summer (I even translated a few and added subs for some people). :p

belgurdo

Banned
dark10x said:
Heh, the only one I would ever dream of watching would be Sonic X...but I've already watched a lot of that show last summer (I even translated a few and added subs for some people). :p

Me too...have they started with the Sonic Adventure arc yet on TV?

And I really hope they start brining out other animes or real movies out soon...I don't want to spend $200 on a portable DVD player and PSP is a long way away, but this sounds like a viable alternative.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
atomsk said:
yeah, i read something about majesco and nintendo working on larger size carts, and that they had full length movies running...

i can only hope for Finding Nemo... the kid would LOVE having that portable

So, buying movies again is suddenly cool with you guys ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
nubbe said:
Yeah, if you can watch them and still play games for 7+ hours without a recharge

Yeah, yeah and that was the only argument against UMD movies ( which btw, you would watch at DVD quality and not with evident pixellization and compression artifacts :p ).

I'd love to see the F-Zero episodes hit this format. That show isn't half bad. I haven't seen the American localized version but the Japanese original is quite interesting. And while they're at it some Kirby episodes wouldn't hurt either.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oh, it COULD work with the GB Player, but Majesco hasn't paid for the television recording rights for the films... so they can't release them in a format which can be played over a television (like a DVD or video tape).

Bowser

242536.jpg

Only one worth the money :D

Top Bottom